I have bad news...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

msmith4432
Orange Master

Re: I have bad news...

Post by msmith4432 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:48 pm

I don't have a problem with it if quality and quality control goes up significantly. However that is probably not going to be the case. Hopefully there would be some improvement for such significant increase.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

No_Direction

Post by No_Direction » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:09 pm

PRS singlecuts and ESP eclipses anyone? :wink:

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:26 pm

For the same cost of a run-of-the-mill Gibson, I'd MUCH rather have a fully custom built guitar made exactly to my design and specs, such as an Electrical Guitar Company. Gibson has always been one of my favorite guitar builders and I've owned soooooo many Les Pauls and SG's over the years, but once I discovered EGC, I've basically abandoned playing all wooden instruments. I still have a vintage Les Paul Jr. Double Cut that i'll never part with though (even though it hardly gets played now)

-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:15 pm

No_Direction wrote:PRS singlecuts and ESP eclipses anyone? :wink:
Vintage Tokais anyone? :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:32 pm

That chrome guitar is just awful.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:37 pm

I am glad I took the punt on the Bacchus Duke series. Best damn Les Paul I have played.

Going to grab another one with humbuckers instead of P90s; brand new for a cool $1,100 AUD.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:10 pm

Resale value of used Gibsons should start to creep upward. Good news for current Gibson owners!

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:12 am

Gray wrote:That chrome guitar is just awful.
:lol: the whole aluminum guitar has yet to appeal to me, but obviously some people like it.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:12 am

Randy Bass wrote:Resale value of used Gibsons should start to creep upward. Good news for current Gibson owners!
I own 3! I'm on easy street from here out
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:26 am

I kind of like the Eclipses, but I prefer flat backs and those aren't as common.

The Schecter Blackjack ATX Solo-II looks appealing.

I haven't tried either one though.

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:52 pm

msmith4432 wrote:
:lol: the whole aluminum guitar has yet to appeal to me, but obviously some people like it.
If you played one, you'd see. They make wooden neck guitars seems so dead and lifeless in tone.

IMO, aluminum is a much superior material to build guitars out of over wood. Structurally, it has the advantage of the neck never warping or going out of tune due to temperature changes. You can also get a much thinner/faster neck of equal thickness from headstock to body because they have been manufactured to a much more exact tolerance, and the neck doesn't have to be super fat around the body like wood since it doesn't flex.

Tonally, aluminum guitars have an increased resonance and sustain over wood, making them sound more alive, snappy and clear. Of course, they can also be brighter in tone, giving more high end, but they also can give way more lows than any wooden guitars... it's why they are favored by so many super heavy doom/metal/stoner rock bands.

They certainly have a distinct sound to them. It's pretty clear to hear in this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBLlL18PNEA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:20 pm

My guess would be that this is an effort to raise quality control to "custom shop status"... or they are getting screwed by a new union contract.

I have a four early millennium Gibsons. Mine all play and sound great so I don't plan on buying any more.
Monty

No_Direction

Post by No_Direction » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:29 pm

megalithic wrote:
I kind of like the Eclipses, but I prefer flat backs and those aren't as common.

The Schecter Blackjack ATX Solo-II looks appealing.

I haven't tried either one though.
I've never checked out Schecter but looks pretty sweet.

I'm just sold on the reindeer blue Eclipses. Bought one of the limited run Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite's last year which is basically eclipse style dimensions. Maybe I should have just got an Eclipse (although, hey, maybe I might be able to sell it used for a profit and get one if Gibson goes through with the price rises)

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 pm

0000 wrote:
msmith4432 wrote:
If you played one, you'd see. They make wooden neck guitars seems so dead and lifeless in tone.

IMO, aluminum is a much superior material to build guitars out of over wood. Structurally, it has the advantage of the neck never warping or going out of tune due to temperature changes. You can also get a much thinner/faster neck of equal thickness from headstock to body because they have been manufactured to a much more exact tolerance, and the neck doesn't have to be super fat around the body like wood since it doesn't flex.

Tonally, aluminum guitars have an increased resonance and sustain over wood, making them sound more alive, snappy and clear. Of course, they can also be brighter in tone, giving more high end, but they also can give way more lows than any wooden guitars... it's why they are favored by so many super heavy doom/metal/stoner rock bands.

They certainly have a distinct sound to them. It's pretty clear to hear in this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBLlL18PNEA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They very we'll may play great, I would love to give one a try. I would have to be pretty blown away with it to ever actually go that direction
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:25 am

It would be interesting to hear and feel how an aluminum guitar differs even though I would expect the sound to be further from the dark Les Paul sound that I prefer than the typical Strat.

I am very familiar with the shortcomings of aluminum from a structural standpoint, so I know better than to believe that it would never twist, even if it is a slight improvement over a wooden neck with a truss rod system. It probably wouldn't twist as far as wood before fracturing though, not that either situation is favorable. Aluminum is extremely vulnerable to fatigue and deflection in structural applications. I would worry about that as well as oxidation over the life of the instrument since salty sweat is a pretty common occupational hazard for the electric guitar. I would definitely want one with a healthy coat of paint over all aluminum surfaces in any event. Whatever they did to the SG looks amazing.