Bad Cat Unleash

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

yossarian83
Orange Hero

Re: Bad Cat Unleash

Post by yossarian83 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Finally, a re-amping device with a reactive load, twin channels and a loop. I read where the owner stated the load response is based on the Bad Cat custom Celestion speaker. Does anyone know how those sound?

I think I'm gonna have to at least check one of these out. The post-amp fx loop should make delay and reverb sound a whole lot better through the OR120.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:46 pm

yossarian83 wrote:Finally, a re-amping device with a reactive load, twin channels and a loop. I read where the owner stated the load response is based on the Bad Cat custom Celestion speaker. Does anyone know how those sound?

I think I'm gonna have to at least check one of these out. The post-amp fx loop should make delay and reverb sound a whole lot better through the OR120.
You'd have to be careful, it's not meant for amps highr than 100watts

yossarian83
Orange Hero

Post by yossarian83 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:14 pm

I don't think an OR120 puts out significantly more wattage than an old 100 watt Marshall... they're both 4xEL34's and run similar voltages. Or course, I'm assuming that when they say "100 watt amp" they're talking a tube amp so it's understood that they're load is rated for more than 100 total watts.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:21 pm

I have been wanting to check one of these out for a while to use with my 6G2 combo amp.

May have to grab one after I get back from Europe in Jan.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:08 am

yossarian83 wrote:I don't think an OR120 puts out significantly more wattage than an old 100 watt Marshall... they're both 4xEL34's and run similar voltages. Or course, I'm assuming that when they say "100 watt amp" they're talking a tube amp so it's understood that they're load is rated for more than 100 total watts.
I wouldn't assume that!!!

Unfortunately for you in the PDF manual I'm seeing
'max 100W'
and
'attenuating more than 100W into the Unleash can cause the Unleash to fail.'
The fully distorted outputs of old Marshalls / Hiwatts and (especially!) Oranges are so much higher than that that I think rapid failure is practically guaranteed. All of these amps based right with good valves can put out up to around 140W 'clean'. The maximum distorted output of the Orange may well be the highest of the lot though. That was the indication I got from my old tech John Phillips when we were discussing a small Hiwatt fuse blowing problem I had with my Hotplate attenuator while back.

The THD Hotplate is one of the few which'll handle an OR120 full blast near full attenuation and even then he thought it was probably pretty marginal. They are rated for around 170 - 180W...

Most attenuators (unlike Celestion speakers) sadly aren't rated for the amp ratings but for the actual wattage they will handle - very different numbers.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!