Micro Terror questions

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

opladener

Micro Terror questions

Post by opladener » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi fellas,
Chris here from Germany.
I just started playing guitar a few months ago and I'm looking for a good practice amp.
Have a little 10W SS amp that came with the guitar and its sounds like ...

So I found the Micro Terror and from what I've heard, its a great sounding little amp.
Also love the look of the little cab that comes with it. Maybe I'll even get two of them - the worlds smallest full stack :mrgreen:

Now the question is: can I really turn it down to apartment-practice volume or do I need to turn it up for good sound ?
The house I live in has rather thin walls and I don't want to anger my neighbours too much.
Especially interested in the sensitivity of the volume dial, does it go from zero to full blast when you move it just a little or do you need to turn it some before it gets really loud ?

And I've read that the MT has some issues when used with a 4ohm cab (or two of the PPC108).

I've read two different versions: One says its the protection circuit of the power amp (some kind of FET I guess), the other says that the power supply is a little weak when the amp is at full tilt.

Would be great if someone could clarify or maybe there is a solution ?
Like improved cooling for the power amp IC or better power supply ?

Lots of questions, hoping for answers
Thanks in advance :D

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Re: Micro Terror questions

Post by Jabberwocky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi Chris,
I have one of these little beasties as my quiet practice amp and my spare in case my R30 head ever dies during a gig.

Great little amp, sounds pretty decent at low volumes, and has the headphone socket for total silence for the neighbours. Nice tone, astonishingly loud for such a small footprint, but the volume control is nicely progressive, as is the gain so you can dial in some sweet tones at low volumes.
One piece of advice though....wouldn't bother with the PPC108 if you want sweet tone. Nice thought by Orange, but the sound is very thin and boxy.
I have played this through a PPC 412 in the shop when I bought it, and use my own PPC 212 CB at home and it sounds superb, so I would recommend a PPC112 or a similar cab as a minimum to fully enjoy the good tones the Micro kicks out. I know there is a big price difference, but it is worth it.

Cannot help you on the 4 ohm/ overheating issue as I have never wired mine with two 108s and have never had a problem with it through the 212.
As for the power supply, well, I have always hated wall warts, but Orange could never have fitted a power transformer into such a small box, hence the rather flimsy external one. Annoying, but can be lived with. Never had a problem with it being 'weak' even when blasting it through my PPC 212 for a couple of hours.

Summary? highly recommend the Micro, but avoid the PPC 108. Just does not bring out the capabilities of this tiny but rather nice amp.
Hope this helps
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:58 pm

First off, skip the PPC108 cabs and get a PPC112 instead. You will be much happier with the tones and it will solve your 4 ohm problems.

It should be fine for apartment practice, and if you want to jam late at night you can use the headphone output.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:12 pm

My understanding is that the protection circuitry kicks-in when the amp is connected to a 4-ohm cab/load and the amp is run at full-tilt, and also that the stock power supply can be a little noisy. If you want to use a Micro Terror for ultra-low volume, the first issue shouldn't cause you any trouble. You can always try a laptop power supply if you find the stock power supply to be noisy.

I'd stick with one 16-ohm cab to keep the volume potential as low as possible. I'd get something like a Vox Night Train 1x12" cab (Greenback) if you aren't set on getting an Orange cab. The Vox cabs are reasonably-priced and the G12M-25 speaker is less efficient than the Vintage 30 that Orange uses in the PPC112. There are some decent 1x10" cabs for cheap too.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:35 pm

for low volume ultimate tone I recommend IR impulses. you just wont get speaker distortion and SPLs needed for great tone IMO.

I agree: no on the 1x8".
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

jdm
Tiny Terror

Post by jdm » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:04 am

I'd say if you can then go for the tiny terror, mine does apartment volume fine
If not then the micro is a good amp and you can always get an all valve orange head later
Would also recommend the ppc212ob cab
The TT / Rockerverb appreciation society......

opladener

Post by opladener » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:02 am

Damn, you guys are quick :D
Good to hear that I can dial in a neighbour friendly volume. A tiny terror would be nice, but I'm poor :)

As for the PPC108, I can get a bundle for a pretty good price and I wanted something small so it can stay in the living room.
Is the little 1x8 really that bad ? I mean, its not a 4x12 obviously, but I thought it would be enough for practicing at home. Mind you, I'm a beginner, my playing is crap anyway lol

Anyway, I'll go to the music store sometime this month and I'll try out different cabs and see what suits me.
Maybe I'll use the headphones first, and get a 1x12 later.

EDIT:
I did some more research on the power supply. Some guy here mentioned that it cannot deliver the current needed.
So I did a little math:

20W@ 4 ohm P=R*I², so I=sqrt(20W/4ohm)=2,23A when the supply is rated for 2A.
That could be the issue.

Not that I'm ever gonna be able to turn it up that much, but its interesting for sure.

3l3phantstomp
Tiny Terror

Post by 3l3phantstomp » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:01 pm

I agree that the 108 can sound a little weak/boxy/etc, but man you throw a Tube Screamer in front of the micro terror and the 108 sounds fantastic. Just that little goose from the TS9 and I am in heaven with the Micro + 108. Not that running the Micro isn't a joy into bigger cabinets...that is an Orange standard feature ;]
tube huffer

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:53 pm

opladener wrote:Damn, you guys are quick :D
Good to hear that I can dial in a neighbour friendly volume. A tiny terror would be nice, but I'm poor :)

As for the PPC108, I can get a bundle for a pretty good price and I wanted something small so it can stay in the living room.
Is the little 1x8 really that bad ? e.
Im quick cause I want the micro terror

I had a 1x8 and it was pretty bad, I mean its super loud if you are trying to get a cranked amp sound in the living room. but the 1x8 sound was bad all around as far as I am concerned for guitar unless just used for functionality. but you are trying to get ultimate tone at television volumes right?

all cabs are bad for getting a cranked sound at low Television volumes, thats why I recommended IR impulses or an iso cab silent sister

opladener

Post by opladener » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:58 pm

Ultimate tone huh, you've never heard me play :D Like I said, beginner player.

All I need is a decent practice amp. One that sounds good without blowing the windows out.
Thats why I like the hybrid concept of the MT, nice tube distortion from the preamp and SS power section that (hopefully) allows low volume.

I think tone is very much a standpoint thing, a guy thats been playing for 30years has a lot higher expectations than someone who just started to play guitar (e.g. me). Not to say that beginners should play crap equipment, but I guess the finer nuances are somewhat lost when you don't have much experience.

A buddy of mine has a Marshall MG15, which is utter and total garbage according to lots of internet reviews.
(That said, there isn't anything between "best thing since sliced bread" and "total POS" on the internet, so I take everything with a grain of salt)

But I think that Marshall sounds alright. Not great, but alright for the money and for what it is. More than loud enough too with its 8" speaker. YMMV obviously

Thats why I thought I might be satisfied with the PPC108, unless its a particularly crappy 8"

But like I said, I'll go to the store and try out a few different cabs with the MT. A 1x10 like Randy Bass mentioned could be a good compromise between tone and size, I'll make sure to try one out

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:22 pm

ya the micro terror and 108 are fine for a beginner or for utilitarian purposes (practicing at low volumes). I have a similar setup cause I use my computer for lessons on fretlight and playing along with youtube/spotify.

you seem pretty set on that setup, which is a good thing.

using computer amp simulations are also cool and very versatile, cause they sound great at low volumes and have a lot of effects, and then you would be geared up for recording music.

100 watt full blasting tube saturation stack tone wont sound like a micro terror and 108, but you seem content with that.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:16 pm

I've been gigging steadily for the last 15 years and in a pinch I would have zero reservations gigging with a Micro Terror paired with my 2x10 with Eminence Ramrods. One hell of a tone IMO!
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:35 pm

want! I prolly cant hold out past this weekend and will get a micro terror! darn you GAS facilitators!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

opladener

Post by opladener » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:19 pm

everdrone wrote:you seem pretty set on that setup, which is a good thing.

I wouldn't say "set", just trying to figure out what would work best for limited space, money and playing skills.
I will definitely try the PPC108 against other cabs. If it sounds decent enough for my home practicing, I'll be happy so save some money and space compared to larger cabs. If I get the opportunity to get a practice room somewhere, I'll buy a larger cab later on

using computer amp simulations are also cool and very versatile, cause they sound great at low volumes and have a lot of effects, and then you would be geared up for recording music.

Agreed, they offer great possibilities, but I prefer something less complicated. Plug and play :wink:

100 watt full blasting tube saturation stack tone wont sound like a micro terror and 108, but you seem content with that.
Of course it won't, but I can't have that at home anyway. Police station is two streets away, with a 100W stack on full blast the neighbours wouldn't even have to call them :lol:
Thinline_slim wrote:I've been gigging steadily for the last 15 years and in a pinch I would have zero reservations gigging with a Micro Terror paired with my 2x10 with Eminence Ramrods. One hell of a tone IMO!
Thats good to hear from an experienced player. I guess Micro Terror it is, good thing its so affordable :!:

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:43 am

I have a Micro Terror and use an 8 Ohm PPC108 for late night playing. Contrary to what was stated above it isn’t boxy or thin sounding IMO. It does the job well at low volumes and is actually a good match for the Micro Terror, but obviously is limited due to being an 8” speaker.

For louder I plug it into a 1 X 12” vented closed back cabinet fitted with a 16 Ohm Celestion V30. Sounds awesome. I actually bought the very cab I tested the Micro Terror through when I purchased it even though I had no intent at that time to buy another cab.

As indicated in above posts, the volume is very progressive and doesn’t jump from zero to loud like full-blown valve amps. The amp sounds great with distortion and OD pedals as well. My normal playing mode is to set it to clean (so I don’t distort any modulation, delay or reverb pedals I may be using) and use OD or distortion into the other effects pedals for crunch/lead/doom/whatever mayhem takes my fancy. This set-up gives me good flexibility. When I’m lazy, I just plug straight in and enjoy what the amp has to offer and change settings on the fly. Truth be known, distortion and OD pedals sound better than the amp distortion when using the PPC108, but the distorted amp sounds awesome through the V30.

Did I say I love playing this amp clean? It sounds great. I love orange clean.