Boost Pedal

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

MikeD
Orange Expert

Re: Boost Pedal

Post by MikeD » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:49 am

Ive been working between the blackstar boost and the boss eq pedalwith little success. Th BS was awesome with my BS ht100 but after changing the ax7 in it twice now I've given up. The eq is close but just to sterile and not giving me the tone I want...just tons of volume.

So today whilst purchasing a di-box for my acoustic guild for a wedding-gig tomorrow I ended up coming home with an MXR micro amp. Since I spend way to much money on toys the shop owner always lets me "try before I buy" so tomorrow at soundcheck I'll be giving her a go and see if I can get one step closer to that holy grail of tone I keep searching for!!
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Have to add my pawprint to the MXR Micro Amp vote. I use the Rocker 30 head with 212 open back cab. Having just started working with a new gigging band doing a lot of Rory Gallagher, SRV, Johnny Winter, Albert Cummings and Gary Moore material, I found I had no need for loads of effects, so have started building a new FX board. So far, it contains the R30 channel switch and the Micro Amp. Adds a whole new dimension to the R30.
The Micro adds some sweet gain and a touch of sparkle to the Natural channel for crunchy lead breaks, and a nice amount of additional gain on the dirty channel for those long sustain/feedback moments. Really pleased with it.
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:35 am

Does what it says on the box - just gives you more of the same. If that is what you want from a boost it is all you need.

Yes it works really well with the R.30. Very pleased here too Jabberwocky.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:02 am

MikeD wrote:Ive been working between the blackstar boost and the boss eq pedalwith little success. Th BS was awesome with my BS ht100 but after changing the ax7 in it twice now I've given up. The eq is close but just to sterile and not giving me the tone I want...just tons of volume.

So today whilst purchasing a di-box for my acoustic guild for a wedding-gig tomorrow I ended up coming home with an MXR micro amp. Since I spend way to much money on toys the shop owner always lets me "try before I buy" so tomorrow at soundcheck I'll be giving her a go and see if I can get one step closer to that holy grail of tone I keep searching for!!
worked well...the only thing is I had it at about 3 o'clock to get some boost....is that normal? ....open air consert gain at 12 volume at around 11 on a rockerverb 50 mkll with a 212...maybe I should have it right after the guitar?

chain= guitar~rotovibe~gcb95~dunlop volume~mxr micro amp~rockerverb
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

fedepepo
Tiny Terror

Post by fedepepo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:59 am

Someone knows how TC Electronic Spark booster works? Is it so clear as they say?
I'd "punch" my head gain without altering of orange sound...!
Amps:
Orange Dual Terror w 2x12 Celestion V30 loaded cab
Marshall JCM800 2210 Head w Marshall 4x10 80's vintage cab
Guitars:
Fender Strat American Special
Fender Telecaster American Special
Fender Strato Mex '94 HSS JB

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:46 pm

Have to add my pawprint to the MXR Micro Amp vote.
Doh! I just got this. :lol:

I have no regrets about pulling the trigger on one--my wallet doesn't hate me as much either.

A cool thing about the Micro amp is that it 'levels the playing fiield' when it comes to certain perceived shortcomings with both the Dual Terror and the Rocker 30.

One of the biggest complaints I heard about the R30 was the Natural Channel. Some felt it was was to bland and I even heard it was the deal breaker for some when they opted for the DT instead. The Micro Amp solves that problem handily.

The DT, on the other hand, doesn't quite have enough gain for some users, and the Micro Amp gives it that nudge to put it over the top without coloring the sound the way an OD might.
Yes, the Dual Terror is loud enough!

fedepepo
Tiny Terror

Post by fedepepo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:22 pm

fedepepo wrote:Someone knows how TC Electronic Spark booster works? Is it so clear as they say?
I'd "punch" my head gain without altering of orange sound...!
Do anyone reply to me??

Pleaaaaaseeeee!
Amps:
Guitars:

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:38 pm

No the Spark is not 100% transparent. The closest thing I have found is the Pigtrobix Class A Boost.

fedepepo
Tiny Terror

Post by fedepepo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:56 pm

OK thanks boy,
and about the booster in general...do you think I can boost my fat channel on DT amp good gained yet (about 2-3 o'clock gain level)?
I would the orange distortion sound a little bit punched and definite only..can I use that boost for my purpose?
Amps:
Guitars:

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:08 pm

I do hear a lot of good things about the Spark. Lots of people praise it as one of the best on the market. That being said it will impart it's own character on your tone. I defiantly think you will be able to boost the fat channel. My advice is to take your amp into your local music store and try it out with a variety of boost pedals. If you can't do that? just make sure the online store has a good return policy.

fedepepo
Tiny Terror

Post by fedepepo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:49 am

Ok...I ask this because actually I'm running with a good distortion pedal in my fat channel to "punch" it, and it doesnt' work so bad...contraindication is that the distortion pedal colors a bit 'too the orange distortion sound, it kneads it...and I'm lookin' for another solution that solves my "problem".
I don't want to use a booster pedal to increase volume for solos or similar...
anyone use that solution on the forum?
Amps:
Guitars:

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:05 am

So far, the Micro Amp has been great. When the DT is already driven, kicking it on gives me that extra something. Same great DT sound--just more of it! As I stated in my own DT post, it pushes the drive into Rocker 30 territory.
Yes, the Dual Terror is loud enough!