Your TU-2 from 1999 is good enough!
56%

Total votes: 16

everdrone
Orange Expert

Re: polytune 2: yes? no?

Post by everdrone » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:37 am

the polytune function IS junk for sure

I wish there was some way to turn it off, it is always wrong and keeps getting in the way

I bet the gibson robot tuner is even more worthless but I have not tried it
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:07 am

I answered no to the polytune, because I prefer the Hardwire HT6 that have a display in the same layout than the guitar (stupid simple but way more readable tahn the TC one).

If your poll is about POLYPHONIC TUNER, then I would answer YES. In live situation, you can quickly check and tune only the string you need to.

jockeapa
Tiny Terror

Post by jockeapa » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:29 am

I like em both (TU-2 and Polytune Mini), but prefer the Korg Pitchblack over both.
No buffer in the Pitchblack tho.
Jocke

Rocker 30C
TT
PPC 112
VOX AC30HW2X
'65 Fender DRRI Limited Edition
-79 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe
-82 Ibanez Blazer BL550RB
-86 Squier Strat
-94 Fender P-Bass
-05 Gibson SG '61 RI
-14 Fender Classic Player Baja '60s Tele

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:13 am

I replaced my Boss TU-2 with a Peterson Strobe Stomp2 a few years ago. I really like the Peterson but the TU-2 is still a perfectly good tuner. My bass player now uses it.

I could never understand the point of that Polytune's polyphonic "strumming all the strings" tuning function. I would personally never tune that way. Always seemed like a marketing gimmick to me.

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:11 am

Ade wrote:..
I could never understand the point of that Polytune's polyphonic "strumming all the strings" tuning function. I would personally never tune that way. Always seemed like a marketing gimmick to me.

Ade
To check your tuning between 2 songs in an instant. It spot the string you need to retune, and you still retune the string one by one this like with a normal tuner, it's just way faster to see which one need a retune.

I really like it live.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Hubaxe wrote:

Ade
To check your tuning between 2 songs in an instant. It spot the string you need to retune, and you still retune the string one by one this like with a normal tuner, it's just way faster to see which one need a retune.

I really like it live.
Except it doesn't identify strings out of tune. Mine will say for example that the low E and A are sharp and then when I check them individually, they're perfectly in tune! Waste of time!

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:39 pm

Looks like mine's ok. Got this Hardwire HT6 because I found a cheap one (was also sceptical, and didn't want to spend a lot to try this), and reviews on the web tend to say it's better than the TC.
I used it last week end in a wild gig, and it did what it was supposed to accurately.
I checked the note by note along with the trusty Pitchblack, and the HT6 was ok.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:48 pm

bclaire wrote:
Hubaxe wrote:

Ade

I really like it live.
Except it doesn't identify strings out of tune. Mine will say for example that the low E and A are sharp and then when I check them individually, they're perfectly in tune! Waste of time!
I was about to make this same comment.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:46 pm

everdrone wrote:I bet the gibson robot tuner is even more worthless but I have not tried it
It probably is, but I heard you do get a free guitar with it. :lol:
Ade wrote:I replaced my Boss TU-2 with a Peterson Strobe Stomp2 a few years ago. I really like the Peterson but the TU-2 is still a perfectly good tuner. My bass player now uses it.

Ade
Yeah always seemed like a gimmick to me too.

I've used various tuners over the years, including an A440Hz tuning fork which never lies and makes a great sound when you put it close to a pickup!

Did get the StroboStomp 2 as well and liked it a lot - both accurate but also very stable in use which I find important too. However... it packed in on me - the display now cuts out after just a couple of seconds. Could probably have it fixed, (may still), but decided just to get a TU-3 as Boss stuff lasts. Very satisfied with it. Used it for several months before even discovering the 'streaming' function which I like a lot and use all the time now. With that it now even reminds me a little of the Peterson too! :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Moon
Tiny Terror

Post by Moon » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:13 pm

I bought a TU2 approx 8 years ago and tune to Eb for a little extra low end. Its done its job brilliantly and not failed on me once...despite having my size 9 squash it on a regular basis. I will agree that it does fail somewhat in bright sunlight but as usual Boss have come up with a winner.

If i did decide to replace it or needed to i'd go straight for the TU3.
If it's TOO loud...you're TOO old!!!

OR15, TH30, PPC212 OB (x2) CR35LDX
- - - - - - - - - - -
Gibson Les Paul Std (2008 & 2013), Fender Telecaster (Highway One & MIM), Epiphone Sheraton
- - - - - - - - - - -
EHX, Boss, MXR and Mooer Effects

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:11 am

Turbo Tuner!

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:07 pm

I'm using a Korg Pitchblack because i want it first in my signalchain on the board and it has to be true bypass for the fuzz... Otherwise i'd still be using the Boss TU2 i guess. Both are great tuners anyway. No need for a polyphonic tuner.
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Moon wrote:I bought a TU2 approx 8 years ago and tune to Eb for a little extra low end. Its done its job brilliantly and not failed on me once...despite having my size 9 squash it on a regular basis. I will agree that it does fail somewhat in bright sunlight but as usual Boss have come up with a winner.

The problem with the TU2 is when it goes into that marquee flashing light mode. And it's always by accident - I'm the only one out of three of my friends that can figure out how to get it out of that mode.... that's the only fault I found with it...

Moon
Tiny Terror

Post by Moon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:54 pm

bclaire wrote:
Moon wrote:I bought a TU2 approx 8 years ago and tune to Eb for a little extra low end. Its done its job brilliantly and not failed on me once...despite having my size 9 squash it on a regular basis. I will agree that it does fail somewhat in bright sunlight but as usual Boss have come up with a winner.

The problem with the TU2 is when it goes into that marquee flashing light mode. And it's always by accident - I'm the only one out of three of my friends that can figure out how to get it out of that mode.... that's the only fault I found with it...

Nice to know I'm not the only afflicted with mates who can't work their gear! :lol:
If it's TOO loud...you're TOO old!!!

OR15, TH30, PPC212 OB (x2) CR35LDX
- - - - - - - - - - -
Gibson Les Paul Std (2008 & 2013), Fender Telecaster (Highway One & MIM), Epiphone Sheraton
- - - - - - - - - - -
EHX, Boss, MXR and Mooer Effects

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:20 am

bclaire wrote: Nice to know I'm not the only afflicted with mates who can't work their gear! :lol:
I've played several years with a guy that was not able to change his guitar strings, and when he plugged a cable it was always in the wrong place..