Orange Sighting / King's X!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Orange Sighting / King's X!

Post by apocalypsedude » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Saw King's X last night, my second time seeing them, what an amazing band. My buddy and I were both surprised to see what Ty Tabor was using gear wise.

Drumroll…….. a solid state Orange CR120 head :shock: and a humble Gibson Les Paul STUDIO that appeared to be bone stock :shock: :shock: , a newer one that you can walk into any Guitar Center and buy off the rack. He was also rocking two Orange PPC412 cabinets side by side. I was in the front row on the barrier in front of him and it sounded glorious! Awesome, awesome gain sound coming from that CR120, and I know he wasn't using any pedals for rhythm. Wish I took pics, but Im becoming anti-cell phone when I go to shows.

I got a good look at Ty's pedalboard and it was very modest. Mojohand Rook Royale>Ultra Vibe> Line 6 DL8 (big green box)> Boss TU3. Four pedals, thats it. All on a Pedaltrain Jr. with Voodoo Lab power.

He never switched channels on the amp, kept it dirty and worked the volume knob on his guitar all night, mainly using the delay a lot, and the boost on the Rook for some solos stuff. The Vibe was used on a couple of the slower ballad tunes. Did the whole show with that one LP Studio in drop D, I never even saw a backup guitar on the stage.

Oh and Doug Pinnick had a rack with two Ampeg SVT Pro heads, a Fractal and two Ampeg Classic 8x10 cabs. Shecter semi hollow bass and a Yamaha bass as backup. I gotta say, for a man in his late 60's, Doug does not look or sound his age, the man was belting it out and hitting high notes with ease. That drummer is no slouch either, the band sounds like they have been together for over 30 years, so tight it was like they could read each other's minds.

So with all of that bass gear, I'm wondering why Tabor is touring with stuff that is so modest and remotely different from what he's used in the past, but I walked away with a firmer understanding that it is all about the mechanic and not the tools. His playing and tone were just impeccable.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992