Who/What Infuenced You To Buy Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

iscid

Who/What Infuenced You To Buy Orange?

Post by iscid » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:02 pm

Hey everyone I'd like to know from the community what inspired you to buy Orange. Was it a band? A random demo at a store? What made you want an Orange. And why did you buy your particular model?

I can start off by saying that the japanese band ACIDMAN made me want an Orange. Particularly the AD140 LEAD,PPC412, and Rickenbacker 360, played by singer/guitarist Ooki Nobuo. I thought his tone and sound was amazing and I wanted to replicate it. I tried and tried with various amps and pedal set ups but nothing clicked so I decided I was going to have to match what he used piece for piece. The search for an AD140 LEAD began and one day I finally found one and struck a deal and I had my own LEAD. Matched with a PPC412 I already owned, the sound was there but just not perfect. So my next quest was acquiring a Rickenbacker 360... Time past and I was finally able to purchase one completing the sound I have been searching for for years. I couldn't ask for anything more than what I have and don't thing I will ever need any more instruments or amps!

My setup:

Here is their music video World Symphony
http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/ACIDMAN--- ... a993d389d9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So what inspired you ? Is it a story similar to mine did you just feel like buying one to have one?
AD140 Lead (#059)
Cr120H
Orange PPC412
PPC212OB

Peavy Duel212

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Who/What Infuenced You To Buy Orange?

Post by Jondog » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:10 pm

Curiosity of these liitle white metal boxes yhat were suddenly being stocked next to the Fenders and Mesas. At first I thought it was a toy until I plugged in. Hooked.

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:20 pm

I think it was old videos from some show where an Orange was standard (with the freak out flashing background (same show where Sabbath got the unfounded rep for using Orange). They looked cool and had that kick ass 70's rock and roll sound. But I could never find an old around here. So glad Ade did his magic and brought Orange back!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:48 am

I used to really want a dual recto

but my music tastes changed from the NU METAL! :lol:

for sludge and doom, orange is the best. and it looks great as a bonus :mrgreen:
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

Sergeantsnowball
Rocker

Post by Sergeantsnowball » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:49 am

Pure dumb luck. I was trying out guitars in the local shop my friend owns when he comes over, notices I'm playing through a little marshall combo and says "How'd you like something to really crank up?" So of course, I smile in glee and agree to it. He leads me to the newly-installed soundproofed room in the back of the store that I had yet to know about, plugs me into a Rockerverb/212 and says "Have fun" before leaving me alone in a room full of halfstacks of every make and model.

It was like every guitarist's deepest fantasy coming true before me
Orange Amps: OR100H, AD30HTC, CR60
Guitars: Gibson Firebird 2013, Obscure Epi Les Paul, Charvel 5FX 1987, LTD Horizon 1001
Non-Orange Amp: Marshall JCM2000

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:53 am

I was in a music store where I worked when a RV50 Combo mkI came in, and that was that. :D

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:20 am

Seven years ago I went in to my local guitar shop (who was an Orange dealer although I did nt know it) looking for a gigging Amp. I did not want a Marshall....every body seem to use and the few Id tried I did n't care for and thought the build quality was poor.

The R30 sounded great, made in UK, super build quality and looked cool. Deal done.....
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:28 am

Pure dumb luck here too.

Needed a more powerful amp for bass. Saw this big orange tolexed lump in the shop and asked if it sounded good for bass. We tried it and it clearly did.

That was 34 years ago now. :?

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:42 am

In the early 2000s, my buddies and I went through our grunge/alt stage and we set about buying really cheap old tube amps. I snatched up a Marshall Jubilee combo with some city miles on it, our bassist grabbed a vintage SVT that broke almost immediately, and the other guitarist found an old OR80. We were getting our sound going and playing through each other's gear and I instantly was fascinated with the foggy breakup of the amp, "more of a "grunch" than a "crunch"" he'd say. He sold it a couple months later to go through a few old Valcos and then settled on a Sovtek Mig-50.

Years later, when I picked up my chinese ac30, there was an Orange rockerverb in the store and remembering my days of yore in "boss tweed and tammany hall" got curious and plugged into the guy, as it was the only one I'd seen since. Much more gain than the orange I remember, but it still had the growling lower mid presence to it.

Sold the Vox for a Mesa thinking that thing could be able to hit every tone under the sun but sold a few years later because it was just not for me.

I really didn't see them used very often. Only in select Jimmy Page clips and ATDI & Mars Volta shows, from what I remember.

When it was time to move on, played a tiny terror, enjoyed the simplicity, and felt it was time to drink the Orange kool-aid. Did some rigorous demoing and this is the one I ended up with.

Still have the Marshall though. Love that little guy and my back does, too.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:39 am

"orange" did....any time I´d see them on a stage I´d basically go "14 year old girl crush" on them!! :D

...but what really got me was the first time I saw the full dvd of Blackberry Smoke live at the Georgia Theatre....sold my KTM and got me some RV lovin!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfL5s_6 ... M&index=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

Surgeon
Tiny Terror

Post by Surgeon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:15 pm

BAck in '05-'06 I toured with my band a lot and one night there was a guy using a rockerverb half-stack. Dude sounded horrible! My curiosity for Orange amps disappeared that day (I was quite curious at first since they were anything but common over here).

A few years later, Everytime I Die started using them a little and Andy was playing through one when I saw them ( can't remember what year though) and he sounded amazing through his TV... which rekindled my curiosity.

The TH30 came out a few years later still, which was more affordable and the power scaling fit my needs... and I fell in love with it.

Then I found a Rocker 30 head and loved it for various projects... then I needed to scale down my quiver and the TH was the easiest one to sell so away it went (I really couldn't decide which one to sell so the "I might be able to unload this one faster" factor was the deciding one).

Then last january I found a TV50 for a song (amazing deal really... I still pinch myself)... and I can't believe how amazing that thing is.

So I'll see which one I'Ll buy when the right deal comes along I guess....

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:37 pm

My story:

I had a a smallish practice solid state amp that I used clean and used mainly boss pedals for my distortion sounds. I was a long time Nirvana fan and had put off buy a fender twin reverb amp or similar due to cost. After I started a business and had some money coming in I decided to finally buy a tube amp.

early 2008
1. Fender Hot Rod Deville....took it back 2 days later...didn't like the breakup as I was after glassy clean like a twin reverb (I learned to like break-up later, but I was clueless at first)
2. bought a twin reverb....was happy for awhile

Enter late 2008
I began really becoming aware of the live acts I was watching and the rigs they were using to get their tone. I was slowly moving on from the Boss DS1 and Twin reverb sound....didn't like how it was all clean and then all bees...I just started to understand what tube tone and breakup was all about

Saw the Toadies play after a long hiatus....Todd was using a JCM800 and Clark a suspicious looking small Orange box atop an orange cab...turns out it was a rocker 30 combo. I have long been a huge Toadies fan and they are fan friendly as well. I spoke to them after the show and confirmed that those two amps were all over their album No Deliverance and I really dug the guitar tone on there....marshall + orange equals some on stage goodness. They mix really really well.

So, to the internet I went...I had paid $400 for my twin reverb, didn't realize how good a deal I got, but I saw the JCM800's and the R30's were a lot more than that so I put it off.

Enter the next band I saw and discovered near the end of 2008....GRAVEYARD....ALL ORANGE BACKLINE, opened for the Sword and then Clutch in that order. The Sword ALL ORANGE BACKLINE, Clutch-OR120
So, my thinking "there must be something to these orange amps" I am absolutely loving what I hear with
the bands I see using them.

So, I ended up buying a JCM 800 and rocker 30......Haven't turned back since. I bought many Oranges after that and settled on liking the Rocker 30, OR120, and TT the best....maybe throw in the AD140, retro 50, OR50 too...those were awesome as well

I still have the JCM800 and the OR120 and TT. I plan to pick up another R30 at some point though as I realize now that amp was probably a good fit for me sonically in more ways than I realized while I had it. I love the OR120 though, and the TT has me covered for more controllable volume so maybe I never get another one.

Anyway, after my "discovery" of Orange finally in 2008, I realized that a few of the bands that I like the tone from used them. I had just always paid more attention to the guitars and pedals because, thanks to Cobain, I thought the guitar and pedal setup was what gave you tone...I love the Screaming Trees tone with the Overdrive series..saw them live in 1996...had no clue what they used.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jamJIe332R0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I learned a lot about amps beginning in 2008 and it has been very fun, expensive at times, but very fun.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:09 pm

I've posted this before on the "your first Orange" topic but here it is again:
Ade wrote:In 2003 I walked into a local music shop wanting to try out a Gibson Angus Young signature SG I'd heard they had in. I pulled it off the wall and the shop assistant asked me what I wanted to plug it into. Nothing they had really grabbed me until I saw an odd looking orange cube in the corner. I'd read about Orange amps (I think it was review of an OR or OTR combo from the late 90s in an English guitar mag) and was a little intrigued. I plugged the SG in and played. I was impressed with the guitar, but blown away by the amp.

The amp was an AD15...
What influenced me?

TONE.

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

jdm
Tiny Terror

Post by jdm » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:03 pm

I'd seen Jimmy Page use them on Celebration Day. Went to look at a Fender Greta as I wanted something low power for home use. It was ok but the tone just wasn't there for me. It had been set up next to the orange amp section so when I went to have a look at what else the store had in another guy used the guitar to try a TT combo - now that was just the tone I wanted. When he left wondering if it was loud enough for small gigs I took the chance to play the TT for a while and was hooked. Got the head and cab a few weeks later.
The TT / Rockerverb appreciation society......

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:03 am

1978 - went to see Johnny A. in his band The Streets at The Club in Cambridge MA. He was using a full OR120 stack of Oranges and the sound was just amazing. I couldn't get that out of my Superleads. It made an impression on me and it wasn't until the mid 80's or late 80's that I finally found an Orange head and some cabs...