Who/What Infuenced You To Buy Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ironlung40
Orange Master

Re: Who/What Infuenced You To Buy Orange?

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:13 pm

Yeah, I saw Clutch in Chattanooga, TN late last year on their Earthrocker tour.......I think I posted on here about in reference to a BIG Crunch head thread...

Anyway, I was bummed to that he did not have the OR120 behind him but rather the JCM 900 SLX...But, really they sounded good I thought and not thin at all.....But, they killed at that show and put on a much better performance than the Sword, who opened for them.

Clutch just has "it", although it took me way to long to finally appreciate them like I do now.

BUT, wouldn't DIVO essentially kill the asymmetry inherent to the "tone" of those old OR120's??? I think just robust tubes, increasing the grid resistors a bit to pad the tubes some, and changing the tubes pretty often would be the best bet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pplq4iYw9Lw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:03 pm

My first (practice) amp was the Orange Crush 30R. I kinda just stumbled on it, the price was right for a beginner, the reviews were good and orange happens to be my favorite color. After some research I found out that Orange had a nice vintagey vibe to it, which I was attracted to.

That was in 2007 I believe, when I first picked up the electric guitar. Then in 2009 I bought an Orange a Rocker 30. Again, the price was right, the reviews were good. At that time i was debating between which model would be my first tube-amp: tiny terror, dual terror? I found my black Rocker 30 combo in the same store I bought my practice amp, by chance! I wasn't really looking for a Rocker, but I had read about it on this very forum and knew it was harder to find due to it being out of production. So I tried it out, loved it and made a down-payment right then and there.

And I just stuck with it ever since! Added only a new cab to round the sound out a little, will probably add a 15" before the new year starts.

Ofcourse I'm also looking at other amps now too, I'd really like a nice clean amp. Especially since I love bi-amping my Orange. The 15" cab I'm planning to get will also serve as the cab for whatever new head I'll eventually be buying. Although I'm not in the market for a new amp right now, I've been keeping an eye on Fenders and Hi-Watt's for future reference...

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:45 am

Josh Middleton from Sylosis was a huge influence on my buying Orange. He's just such a monster player with fantastic tone, so when I saw him playing the TV50 and TH30 models I had to check them out. I already liked that Orange amps stood out and had some flavor amongst the sea of black Marshalls, Mesas, and Peaveys of the metal world. The more I listened the more I liked them, and at that point it was just about finding one in my price range with the features I needed. I was looking for a tube amp with an FX loop and a fairly tight gain channel for around $800-$1000, and the TH30 ended up fitting the bill perfectly. I had planned to run it alongside my Marshall AVT150, but once I got it home and heard the difference the Marshall was immediately sold and I haven't looked back :mrgreen:

I honestly don't think I ever would have considered Orange for my style of playing if it hadn't been for Sylosis, but I'm sure glad I did.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

kmb8488

Post by kmb8488 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:16 pm

I always thought Orange amps looked great, but I didn't get the itch to buy one until around mid-2008, when the Jim Root ads were in Guitar World pretty much every month. I desperately wanted a Rockerverb 100 at that point, but had just graduated college and didn't have nearly enough scratch to warrant the purchase. Fast forward five years; I was looking to buy a new amplifier, and just decided on a whim to indulge and go with a Rockerverb 100 and PPC212. Greatest decision I've made in my 18 years as a musician.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:32 pm

Ade Emsley. Seriously.

In 2006 I was gunning hard for a Vox AC30. I was playing the old blue VTX series Vox's but I realized I typically just used the AC30 patch for the vast majority of what I was doing. So I thought a real AC30 top boost was in order. I'd even played a bunch of production models but never pulled the trigger.

During my search though I had adopted a philosophy from my then bass player of "smaller, lighter, louder" and read a couple of blips about the Tiny Terror. I had no idea who/what Orange was so I didn't think too much of it. I wanted an AC30.

So I ended up in a very up-scale music shop in Cali as I knew they had the hard-wire Vox AC30s in stock. I was pretty well prepared to buy one within the next 30 days or so. So I was shown the AC30 in a room and it was just me in there and the clerk told me to crank it up! Cool. It sounded like an AC30. Next to it though was a Tiny Terror so I thought just for fun I'd give it a loud go just to see what it was.

My jaw hit the floor!

That was the sound I had in my brain for a number of years that I just couldn't seem to figure out how to get it. There it was. 30 days later they shipped me my first Orange Tiny Terror and PPC112.

And since then I've become the herpes of the Orange Amp forum. I just keep coming back......
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:16 am

Thinline_slim wrote:...And since then I've become the herpes of the Orange Amp forum. I just keep coming back......
Apparently that would make me Chlamydia. :oops:

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:04 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
Thinline_slim wrote:...And since then I've become the herpes of the Orange Amp forum. I just keep coming back......
:lol: I was wondering if someone would catch that.
Jake
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:50 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:
:lol: I was wondering if someone would catch that.
Yeah - but I don't think I caught it from you. :)

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:22 pm

A combination of necessity and luck.

My days of playing with my all original metal band were winding down and hauling around my Triple XXX/Marshall 1960 half stack had long passed the point of getting old, particularly with venues where I had to haul it up a flight of stairs.

The last straw was when the Triple XXX head fell on my girlfriend's foot (long story there).

Around that time, my favorite local music store had a Dual Terror in stock. As soon as I tried it, I was hooked! I loved the tone it put out and it was much lighter to carry around than a 120 watt Peavey head. The carrying case was a nice touch as well.

Once I was satisfied that it would be loud enough to cut most gigging situations (if not all that didn't already require a large PA) I pulled the trigger and never looked back.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is that it didn't come out sooner. I would have loved to have used it with my old metal band back in the day.
Yes, the Dual Terror is loud enough!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:16 pm

Randy Bass wrote: Yeah - but I don't think I caught it from you. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Beljunmalnwa wrote:A combination of necessity and luck. ..... particularly with venues where I had to haul it up a flight of stairs.
What cab are you running? Did you downsize that as well?

I've read many times on forums about guys who've had to haul their gear up the stairs at a venue. How often does that happen (serious)? I've been fortunate I suppose that I think I've hauled gear up stairs twice in the last 15 years of gigging and I've never been to a bar on the roof or 2nd story of a building that I'm sure didn't have a service elevator.
Jake
"One of the 400"

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:58 am

What cab are you running? Did you downsize that as well?
I eventually downsized to a hand built open back 2x12 with H30's. It's not very heavy and isn't too much trouble to haul up and down the stairs for certain gigs. Hauling gear that way may not be the norm, but it does happen more than you'd think.

fedepepo
Tiny Terror

Post by fedepepo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:49 pm

I registered last studio album with a Rockerverb 50 MKI and 2 4x12 Orange Cabinet.
Until that moment I played only my Marshall JMC800 head. After that moment I played at most my Orange Dual Terror.
At this time I prefer 30 watt instead of 50...
wish list....ad30!!!
Amps:
Orange Dual Terror w 2x12 Celestion V30 loaded cab
Marshall JCM800 2210 Head w Marshall 4x10 80's vintage cab
Guitars:
Fender Strat American Special
Fender Telecaster American Special
Fender Strato Mex '94 HSS JB

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:54 am

I registered last studio album with a Rockerverb 50 MKI and 2 4x12 Orange Cabinet.
Until that moment I played only my Marshall JMC800 head. After that moment I played at most my Orange Dual Terror.

At this time I prefer 30 watt instead of 50...
wish list....ad30!!!
You're not the first to talk about switching from the JCM 800 to the DT.

Was the JCM a 50 watt head?

joeminer
Tiny Terror

Post by joeminer » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:37 am

This guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuo7j4j ... tube_gdata" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orange AD30htc
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC212
Orange PPC112
Gibson LP Standard (Double Cut)
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Taylor 314ce
Little Martin
Lots of Pedals

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:15 pm

At the time, I had a H&K Triamp MKII and Duotone and a Marshall 6100. I was tired of these "multi-tone" amps, and I just wanted something simple that master only one sound. I was just playing through amps at a local shop and ended up leaving with a Rocker 30 and an AD30HTC.
Monty