Considering a move to Orange

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bugman

Considering a move to Orange

Post by bugman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:56 am

Hi,

First post on here.

I am hoping that you may be able to help me. I am in the market for a new amp. I currently play a Vox AC15 but am looking for something a little darker and thicker but in the same park volume wise.

I really like the sound of the AD30 but it is a bit much in weight and volume (I play in an indie / classic rock 3 piece with a well restrained drummer).

There is currently a nice looking AD15 on ebay not too far from me that I have been considering.

My questions are how do you rate the amp? is it as nice as the reviews say and is it reliable? I know it is quite an old amp as it's been out of production for a while but will it stand up to regular gigging?

Also if you don't think it's a good choice what other oranges would you recommend? I think the Or15 may be a bit too gainy for my needs and I have to admit to being none too fond of the look of the tiny terror, I know that's very superficial but it's nice to feel proud of what you are playing through, I'm sure I could get over it but it would have to sound incredible!

Anyway thanks in advance.

:D

OU818
Orange Master

Re: Considering a move to Orange

Post by OU818 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:04 am

I reckon the AD15 would suit you to a tee.

It is a bit of a cult following amp for those who know how nice it is.

As with all Oranges the build quality is top notch so as long as it wasn't abused it should hold up fine.

That being said, the AD30 has a great master volume so it shouldn't be an issue for your band. Also it only has a 3dB increase in peak volume from the AD15 which could be handled by using a less efficient speaker.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

bugman

Post by bugman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:24 am

Thanks for the quick response.
It looks like it's in good condition but I guess you can never be sure without spending a bit of time with the amp in person. Might have to try and find time to get over to try it out before bidding.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:18 pm

I really like my AD15/12. It's a brilliant amp, really really good.

It takes pedals very well,OD, fuzz, delays, tremolos.... I haven't finished my reverb pedal, so not sure yet if it will like it or not.

The only downside is the access to the speaker input, but unless you plan to use another cab with, that shouldn't be a problem.

It's brilliant at being set to the edge of Break up or just above, so you can play clean with soft strumming, dig in and have some dirt - add an OD or fuzz for leads. :)

And it's loud, but usable for quiet practice too. Just not super quiet.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bugman

Post by bugman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:I really like my AD15/12. It's a brilliant amp, really really good.

It takes pedals very well,OD, fuzz, delays, tremolos.... I haven't finished my reverb pedal, so not sure yet if it will like it or not.

The only downside is the access to the speaker input, but unless you plan to use another cab with, that shouldn't be a problem.

It's brilliant at being set to the edge of Break up or just above, so you can play clean with soft strumming, dig in and have some dirt - add an OD or fuzz for leads. :)

And it's loud, but usable for quiet practice too. Just not super quiet.

Excellent thanks for that, it all sounds pretty promising.

Really appreciate the help.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:25 pm

I would suggest a Tiny Terror 12" combo if the AD15 doesn't workout.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:42 pm

Or a dual terror would be another good option
Paul.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:29 am

The AD15 & TT/DT are quite different beast though.

The AD15 is compressed and saggy, the TT not so compressed and a lot tighter too.

If that's the AD15 the OP is looking at that's a really good deal IMO.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orange-AD15-1 ... 580wt_1399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's got all the great deal hallmarks - great condition & in the middle of nowhere. The location will put a lot of people off as they would have to drive perhaps 1 hour to get there, perhaps more. That auction didn't have any bid when it ended last week (that one's been relisted), so I would even consider making a cheeky but fair £250 offer for a deal outside of ebay. The only thing that anoyes me with that, is that it would make it a better deal than my own AD15. :evil:
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bugman

Post by bugman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:05 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:The AD15 & TT/DT are quite different beast though.

The AD15 is compressed and saggy, the TT not so compressed and a lot tighter too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orange-AD15-1 ... 580wt_1399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's got all the great deal hallmarks - great condition & in the middle of nowhere. The location will put a lot of people off as they would have to drive perhaps 1 hour to get there, perhaps more. That auction didn't have any bid when it ended last week (that one's been relisted), so I would even consider making a cheeky but fair £250 offer for a deal outside of ebay. The only thing that anoyes me with that, is that it would make it a better deal than my own AD15. :evil:
That is the very one I was looking at. Unfortunately I have just had a deal on a bike I was selling fall through so I'm going to have to cross my fingers that it doesn't sell until I can scrape some cash together.

Gutted though as these don't seem to come up so frequently these days, especially in a decent condition. Shame Orange decided to discontinue them.

Never mind thanks for all the help anyway. I'm determined I'll be back brandishing a fruity little number soon.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:02 pm

bugman wrote:

That is the very one I was looking at. Unfortunately I have just had a deal on a bike I was selling fall through so I'm going to have to cross my fingers that it doesn't sell until I can scrape some cash together.

Gutted though as these don't seem to come up so frequently these days, especially in a decent condition. Shame Orange decided to discontinue them.

Never mind thanks for all the help anyway. I'm determined I'll be back brandishing a fruity little number soon.

Hopefully you can shift that bike soon. I reckon that's a great deal, but they don't Always go very fast, though I would expect it to get picked up because the pricing is quite keen.

Good luck!!!
Ant

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:18 pm

if all else fails, the AD30TC is a bloody awesome amp. My favourite from Orange for sure. Being a long time AC30 owner, the AD30 is just what your looking for, a darker grittier thicker sound. It can still do clean, its just got more mid/bottom to it.

My AD30TC was quieter than my AC30 by quite a bit, so maybe more in line with AC15 volumes. The Master Volume also gives you a lot of control over your tone. I fought with mine a bit when I first got it because I was hoping for more Vox likes tones for some reason...but once I accepted thats not what it does, I was much happier and it was perfect for me for years. Since I changed playing styles and now play in a progressive hard rock band which is very effects heavy the AD30TC turned into a Rockerverb50. :)
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:30 pm

bugman wrote:

sold my bike and got me an orange too.....no regrets whatsoever!!!

...could be cause they were the same colour though?! ;-)
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:30 pm

OU818 wrote: That being said, the AD30 has a great master volume so it shouldn't be an issue for your band. Also it only has a 3dB increase in peak volume from the AD15 which could be handled by using a less efficient speaker.
What? My AD30 had two separate channel with each their own volume. Was is the older version?
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:13 pm

jesperbc wrote:
OU818 wrote: That being said, the AD30 has a great master volume so it shouldn't be an issue for your band. Also it only has a 3dB increase in peak volume from the AD15 which could be handled by using a less efficient speaker.
What? My AD30 had two separate channel with each their own volume. Was is the older version?
Each channel has a "Master Volume" in that there are separate Gain and Volume controls. I don't think he was suggesting that it had a "Global" MV like some amps do. Orange seems to think that "Attenuator" is a better word for a Global MV and they use the term "Master Volume" to apply to a separate Volume control on any channel that also has a Gain control. Amp manufacturers need to stop making things so complicated.

JAC

Post by JAC » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:55 am

Check out the Dark Terror. I want one myself.