RUSH?!?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Doctor Volume
Tiny Terror

RUSH?!?

Post by Doctor Volume » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:58 am

They've always been a huge influence on me. But I wonder why they are not mentioned more in normal conversation. They have the sales, but still don't seem like they are mainstream. I see Geddy uses Orange, and to me, is definitely top ten bass players of all time. Neil is god. And Alex doesn't mess around. Why don't they get the love that Led Zeppelin or The Beatles get?

Maybe I'm just ranting while drinking Guinness and listening to "Fly By Night"...
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: RUSH?!?

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:13 am

I am a big fan of Rush's early stuff and Alex used to sound amazing (not sure what happened there). The conventional wisdom is that their music and lyrics weren't as accessible to the masses and Geddy Lee's voice is relatively similar to the sound of drowning kittens. It didn't help that they stayed together through the 80's and made some pretty awful synthesized garbage during that time. Also, their concerts have always been Sausagefests. Other than that, I am at a loss too. :)

Doctor Volume
Tiny Terror

Post by Doctor Volume » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:26 am

I just saw them for the first time last year and I didnt know half of the songs, but they sounded amazing. I was in awe the entire time.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:24 am

Ya know, I appreciate them, and I even saw them live once.........BUT, there's just something I don't care for about them. they are just too jaunty and corny in a way. it also seemed like they got a little over complicated for the sake of being complicated a few times too. canada man.... america's hat! :mrgreen:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:31 am

I've lost a lot of musician friends over Rush. My take on the band is: everything they've ever done is almost.....

....but never quite there. They aren't as rock as Zeppelin (by a long shot). They aren't as prog as King Crimson or even Yes. They aren't as witty as Zappa. So what are they....?

Geddy Lee was good on the Bob & Doug McKenzie Xmas record.

My favorite line about Rush is from a podcast I was listening to - they said, "no one was ever conceived to a Rush song."

yossarian83
Orange Hero

Post by yossarian83 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:35 am

They rock, plain and simple. I think Peart's lyrics went over most people's heads as they tended to be more analytical and philosophical rather than about babe's shaking something or another :wink:

I even like their corniness. Overcoming pretensions seems to be a difficult thing for most artists to accomplish.

And yes, like many classical works they were complex for the sake of complexity. That's what made it epic! It also limited their audience somewhat to people who appreciate musicianship i.e. not drunk chicks with their tops off

I still have this debate with my wife, a modern pop/country fan

Her: "normal people listen to music that's fun"
Me: "my music needs to be fun AND interesting, sorry normal folks"

besides, "normal" people made Britney Spears one of the top selling artists of all time, I'll stick to my copy of "A Farewell to Kings" thank you very much

My only hang-up with Rush is the libertarian/objectivist leanings of the early lyrics. I guess in Canada, being a conservative capitalist is rebelling, crazy Canucks. :lol:

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:00 am

yossarian83 wrote:They rock, plain and simple. I think Peart's lyrics went over most people's heads as they tended to be more analytical and philosophical rather than about babe's shaking something or another :wink:

I even like their corniness. Overcoming pretensions seems to be a difficult thing for most artists to accomplish.

And yes, like many classical works they were complex for the sake of complexity. That's what made it epic! It also limited their audience somewhat to people who appreciate musicianship i.e. not drunk chicks with their tops off

I still have this debate with my wife, a modern pop/country fan

Her: "normal people listen to music that's fun"
Me: "my music needs to be fun AND interesting, sorry normal folks"

besides, "normal" people made Britney Spears one of the top selling artists of all time, I'll stick to my copy of "A Farewell to Kings" thank you very much

My only hang-up with Rush is the libertarian/objectivist leanings of the early lyrics. I guess in Canada, being a conservative capitalist is rebelling, crazy Canucks. :lol:

I love Tom Waits so it wasn't the lyrics being to "out there'

I love some complicated stuff (Like Zappa), but they just seemed like they did it for the sake of doing it and not whether or not it made the song better. I can appreciate musicianship all day long. But if your songs suffer because of it...well you lose me.

Eeeshm using pop music and modern country as a counterpoint is hardly fair as there's a lot of middle ground there.

They just don't "rock" they don't kick ass. They just.... I don't know how to really put it. wheedle around maybe?

I like handful of their songs. But for the most part, I'd rather put on Motorhead or Zeppelin or Sabbath and rocck out with my sock out.

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:04 am

I WILL say this. I don't think they are a band that's fair to out and out hate. They have done a lot of really good and interesting stuff. it just doesn't happen to appeal to me most of the time.

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:27 am

Rush is great. Live performances are fantastic. Their hits are musically catchy. And each musician is world class talented and polite. I can say, without a doubt in my mind, they are my favorite Canadian power trio rock group.

However, when I think of what makes Rush fun, every aspect of theirs is outdone, outshined, and outclassed by another group. They are the diet coke of rock bands.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

Janglin_Jack
Orange Hero

Post by Janglin_Jack » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:41 am

It amazes me how many of their song intros are great and then the lyrics start and i just change the radio station. They go from this is cool to OMG this is terrible in the blink of an eye.

Mike
"...weak with evil and broken by the world."

yossarian83
Orange Hero

Post by yossarian83 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:20 am

OR73 wrote:I love Tom Waits so it wasn't the lyrics being to "out there'

I love some complicated stuff (Like Zappa), but they just seemed like they did it for the sake of doing it and not whether or not it made the song better. I can appreciate musicianship all day long. But if your songs suffer because of it...well you lose me.

Eeeshm using pop music and modern country as a counterpoint is hardly fair as there's a lot of middle ground there.

They just don't "rock" they don't kick ass. They just.... I don't know how to really put it. wheedle around maybe?

I like handful of their songs. But for the most part, I'd rather put on Motorhead or Zeppelin or Sabbath and rocck out with my sock out.
I certainly didn't mean to imply that Neil's lyrics are "out there" at all. If anything they may be a little too direct. What I meant was, they're very cerebral rather than the more emotional "rocking out" or whatever.

I always found their complexity, especially the instrumental songs, a lot of fun.

The fact that they don't "kick ass" is probably a big reason why I dig 'em. The whole "rockstar" posturing gets old fast. Every fan was 100% certain Ozzy was "metal" until "The Osbourne's" came out and you got to see the real Ozzy. Now he's a joke. I have a hard time taking "ass-kicking rock" seriously.

Also, I wasn't using the pop/country tastes of my wife as a counterpoint to JUST Rush qualifying as interesting, complex music. IMO, you could toss any proggy band under that umbrella along with plenty of other more avant-garde bands with less accessible sounds.

I can't remember EVER hearing a Zappa song that I enjoyed listening to. I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. Whatever reasons we fabricate are secondary to our impulsive emotional reactions, which are inherently irrational.

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:45 am

I'm referring to the music of bands like sabbath, LZ and Motorhead, I could care less about "rockstar posturing" heck one of my favorite bands is the Melvins and they are about as un "rock star" as it gets! lol

eta: yeah "out there" was a poor choice of words, I meant lyrics that are interesting and not just rock and roll pablum. (though songs about liquor ,women,drugs and killing have their place!)

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:58 am

Yea I love Rush. Only seen them live once but what a show. Great playing, pyro, humour (they don't take themselves seriously which I like) and that rarest of things a heartburn solo.
I like most of their back catalogue too, even the 80's stuff that a lot of folk are down on. 'Signals' and 'grace under pressure' Are great albums, and although it sounds really weak sonically 'Presto' has some of their best songs.
And give 'clockwork angels' a listen, really good and Alex Lifesons tone is mighty on it.
Still not been able to convince the guys in the cover band to do YYZ in the set though, they don't think it'd be a dance floor filler on a Saturday night! :?
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:58 am

Heartburn solo?! I typed great drum solo, even auto correct doesn't like them. Oops.
Last edited by jasondunringill on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

yossarian83
Orange Hero

Post by yossarian83 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:08 am

jasondunringill wrote:Yea I love Rush. Only seen them live once but what a show. Great playing, pyro, humour (they don't take themselves seriously which I like) and that rarest of things a heartburn solo.
I like most of their back catalogue too, even the 80's stuff that a lot of folk are down on. 'Signals' and 'grace under pressure' Are great albums, and although it sounds really weak sonically 'Presto' has some of their best songs.
And give 'clockwork angels' a listen, really good and Alex Lifesons tone is mighty on it.
Still not been able to convince the guys in the cover band to do YYZ in the set though, they don't think it'd be a dance floor filler on a Saturday night! :?
Presto! What a great record. That album came out just as I was becoming aware of music (I was 6) and I'll always remember it as the bunny record.

"The Pass" may be the best song they've ever done.