Looking for guidance

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bhayes335

Looking for guidance

Post by bhayes335 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi all,

New to board, probably new to Orange in the next to near future. Currently play a Mesa Boogie .50 Cal +. Love the amp, but downsizing the gear. Just looking for a nice bedroom practice room amp so the terror series amps and TH30 are interesting.

Just looking for some opinions before I try them side by side, things I should look for, maybe pros and cons I may miss when taking a test drive. As far as tone goes, I don't mind playing in the mud. Big fan of bands like Clutch, Mastodon, or High on Fire so I'd like something with some decent crunch but doesn't need to be super tight.

Probably looking closest at the Dual Terror and Dark Terror. Dual seems to have it beat in versatility, just wondering if you think I'll be able to get enough gain out of it. Which brings me to the Dark Terror, there I'm just worried if it's a one trick pony. Hadn't really thought of the TH30 until lurking here a bit. It's probably at the top if not a little over what I'm looking to spend, but if you guys think it's worth taking a shot at I'll take a look.

Appreciate any input you got.

Ampadickt

Re: Looking for guidance

Post by Ampadickt » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:34 pm

OR15 through a 2x12! Great tone and feel.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:09 pm

The Dual Terror is one scary amp! I liked the one that I tried at Orange HQ.... haven't tried the Dark Terror but the Dual is 30 watts and totally usable in any situation, volume-wise.

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:16 am

my personal opinion is the dual terror is probably the most useful of all orange amps.

that's a broad statement, but i stand by it. i suppose that could mean most "versatile".
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

bhayes335

Post by bhayes335 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:58 am

sidvicious wrote:my personal opinion is the dual terror is probably the most useful of all orange amps.

that's a broad statement, but i stand by it. i suppose that could mean most "versatile".
I'd take them as one and the same.

Thanks for the comments guys

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:27 am

sidvicious wrote:my personal opinion is the dual terror is probably the most useful of all orange amps.

really? over the Th100? I just figured going from 30-50-75-100 watts would make it the most versatile of them all
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:48 am

It's quite the amp. I was finally able to A/B the Dual Terror and AD30 a few weeks back and was pleasantly surprised at the differences. The Terror has a lot more high gain ballsy tone to it, while the ad30 always sounds like a ac30 on roids. Both sweet amps, but just different flavors.

Also, check out the OR15. It's only single channel, but has gobs of gain, fx loop, and 3 band eq.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:14 pm

OR73 wrote:

really? over the Th100? I just figured going from 30-50-75-100 watts would make it the most versatile of them all

It really is dependent on what you think is versatility. Some prefer scaleable wattage, some prefer 2 dirty channels that can do cleans too, some prefer clean & dirty, some prefer full EQ.....

Truth be said, most 2 channel orange are very versatile for most music style - with some differences.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute