Single coil sized humbuckers - Strat

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Single coil sized humbuckers - Strat

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Any more the cover band has been venturing out further from classic rock getting a little more heavy, which has been a lot of fun. My Tele is a rock machine honestly with some overwound Lindy Fralins but my Strat could use a little help.

Right now I have a set of Nordstrand NVS hot pickups (old music store owner recommended) which have been a great set for the last 10 years especially for the neck puckup blues/rock. But as I pull away from blues/rock I could use a little more in the bridge. Need some grit!

Does anyone have any recommendations? I put a Seymour Duncan Lil 59 in it over the weekend but it was really microphonic and wouldn't be usable at gig levels. So it's going back and I have a Seymour Duncan JB jr on the way but holy crap there are a ton of options! And that's just trying to decide between Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio!

Anything fun anyone here has tried?

**PS - HAS to be a single coil. The guitar is a rear routed SSS Warmoth Strat.

Found a really crappy pic.
Last edited by Thinline_slim on Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sergeantsnowball
Rocker

Re: Single coil sized humbuckers - Strat

Post by Sergeantsnowball » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:02 pm

Hot Rails or EMG singlecoils.
Orange Amps: OR100H, AD30HTC, CR60
Guitars: Gibson Firebird 2013, Obscure Epi Les Paul, Charvel 5FX 1987, LTD Horizon 1001
Non-Orange Amp: Marshall JCM2000

thelatrobe33
Tiny Terror

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:22 am

Check out the Dimarzio Billy Corgan pickups. BIG sound in a single coil package.
Dual Dark 50, Friedman Smallbox, '78 Twin Reverb, PPC412A, PPC212C

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:42 pm

Sergeantsnowball wrote:Hot Rails or EMG singlecoils.
I was really tempted to pull the trigger on the Hot Rails but I found a youtube vid that compared the Hot Rails and the JB jr at about the gain levels I play regularly and the JB jr sounded a little more vintage/musical where the Hot Rails sounded like the more modern melodic-shred sound.

There's so many variables though that I have no idea if the HRs would sound that way on my rig or not. That's the biggest pain in the arse when buying pickups.
thelatrobe33 wrote:Check out the Dimarzio Billy Corgan pickups. BIG sound in a single coil package.
I was really curious about these honestly. I was bouncing back and forth between the Tone Zone, the BC and the Chopper before I went for the JB jr. Can you describe how the BC pickups sound? Not a lot of information out there.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thelatrobe33
Tiny Terror

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:20 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
thelatrobe33 wrote:Check out the Dimarzio Billy Corgan pickups. BIG sound in a single coil package.
I was really curious about these honestly. I was bouncing back and forth between the Tone Zone, the BC and the Chopper before I went for the JB jr. Can you describe how the BC pickups sound? Not a lot of information out there.
The BC-2 pickups are a variation on the Tone Zones. They have a big, crystal clear clean tone and can go all the way to full on metal. Check YouTube for demos of the Billy Corgan Strat. There's quite a few demos there that should give you a good idea.

I don't own them, but the other guitarist I play with has them in his JDM strat and it sounds great both clean and dirty. I'm more a single coil guy when it comes to strats. I have a '93 Strat Plus and switch to a different guitar for humbucker tones.
Dual Dark 50, Friedman Smallbox, '78 Twin Reverb, PPC412A, PPC212C

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:36 pm

Sergeantsnowball wrote:Hot Rails or EMG singlecoils.

I like both. Although, I am currently using the Fender Vintage Noiseless. They are powerful and no noise.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:48 am

Well I was about to recommend the lil '59, which I had in my Strat till I sold the guitar. It was one of the best pups I have ever heard in my life, equal to pretty much any full-sized humbucker. Sounds like you got a bad pup to try there. I would steer away from any emg pickup; a friend of mine bought the hotrail for his Strat, and we both agreed that it sounded like a$$.