OR-120 Advise me please!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

milo dubsky

Post by milo dubsky » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:22 am

Hey there! I have been looking at gettin an orange amp for a while and now theres an OR-120 on ebay in oz. It seems to be going pretty cheap BUT... he says its been in storage for five years, had the tubes tested and one is faulty and ones on the way out...theres a few marks on the tolex and a bit'o rust on the handles (but i don't care bout aesthetics much). I mailed him and he said he's selling it for his bro who's OS or something, and thats why he didn't get it all serviced and stuff b4 sellin it. So i wanted to know what you guys thought...i thought maybe the music shop guys said it was stuffed and thats why he didn't get it working first...so how reliable are these amps? are they generally in good working ordre or are there heaps of dodgy ones? what are the chances its a "lemon"? (no reference to prev. lemon amp thread! and exscuse the pun...)

any advice would be greatly appreciated...my thoughts are to get it if it goes real cheap, otherwise not risk it...

cheers

-milo-

btw heres a link
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... =7266&rd=1

ecto coolest
Rocker

Post by ecto coolest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:23 pm

orange amps have a history of being "faulty" because so many amp techs don't know how to work on them. someone will take an original orange in to get it serviced and the amp tech will end up modding something because they don't know what they are doing. once this happens, the amp is unpredictable because its not stock anymore.

anyway, if you find an amp tech that can work on oranges, have them look it over and reverse any changes that may have been done to the amp. get some new power amp tubes and preamp tubes, and have the power tubes biased. Orange amps are very durabe and dependable amps for the most part. if the guy says it works and it just needs new tubes then i would go for it, if you can get it cheap. If the guy says "it worked fine 5 years ago, but now i can't get any sound out of it" then i would be weary.

anyway, hope that helps.
1971 OR120 (Plexi Panel, Big Pix Only)
1994 Fender Jaguar (Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, Gibson Nashville Bridge)
2002 PPC412 (British V30s)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:47 pm

That's exactly right. Every Orange I've ever encountered with problems is due to some tech replacing stuff with the wrong parts or wrong tolerances.

If you win the amp, definitely do all of the things ecto coolest said because then it will be like starting from the beginning with all new components... tubes, etc.

The chassis on these things are painted as well so rust shouldn't be an issue I would think.... good luck and let us know what happens! Billy

bigbear

Post by bigbear » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:05 pm

Hi, considering the price I should buy it anyway and make it fixed by a good tech who knows this amp. I own the same ( serial # 789 ) and it's his money worth

www.elloco.be

milo dubsky

Post by milo dubsky » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:58 am

hey guys thanks for the tips! i think if it goes cheap enough i'll get it. I'm not sure if there's any amp techs here in melbourne that'd know his oranges (guess no-one here knows one?)...but i'll hopefully find someone...sweet methinks i'll go for it...cross my fingers...haha

cheer all!

warty

Post by warty » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:34 pm

hey milo, watching this too.
i notices the highest bidder so far is from east gippsland too (same as seller) how many people out there? He also seems pretty specific that there was nothing wrong 5 years ago???? could be good...???

milo dubsky

Post by milo dubsky » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:01 am

yup...could be but i'm kinda getting a little iffy on it...i don't wanna get it and then like have some amp dude go "this thing is completely stuffed and it'll cost ya $800 to get it fixed..." cos then i'd just have got a new matamp or sumthin...yeah gippsland is a really big area...like all bush and spread out so there's lotsa ppl there i think...also a uni up there so prolly some of these guys are students...maybe a little dodge tho...we'll see...8 hours to go...i have first dibs tho! haha...nah just kidding good luck...

milo dubsky

Post by milo dubsky » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:33 am

dang...just missed out...snipers...got close, it was heading to high for my liking anyways, still cheap but not so super cheap factoring in repairs, stress, and shipping etc. oh well, the orange quest goes on!!...