NGD!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

burnscs
Tiny Terror

NGD!

Post by burnscs » Tue May 27, 2014 4:18 pm

Big thanks to bclaire who helped me dodge a bullet with a 1962 Jazzmaster that I got from eBay. He also mailed me a spare truss rod nut the very next day when he saw I was missing one. Good people, wish there were more like him! The truss rod was stripped at the end and although the neck was nice and straight, it would eventually need a new truss rod or work done to the neck which I wasn't to keen on for the cost I spent on the guitar. Luckily the eBay dealer was top notch, said he didn't know about the issue and gave me a full refund.

That lead to me trading one of my AD30htc's for this:

It's a Fender CIJ J Mascis signature series Jazzmaster. Since I got a steal for an AD30r combo a month ago, I figured I didn't really need the head also. With the prices both have been fetching on eBay lately it seems like a pretty even trade. It sounds sooooooo different from my 67 sg jr, much jingly-er and not as driven. Think I might swap in some hotter pickups. Anyone have any suggestions?
1970's OR80R Combo
AD30R
AD30HTC
Tiny Terror
212PPCOB
PPC412
OR412

1967 Gibson SG Junior
Fender J Mascis Signature Jazzmaster

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: NGD!

Post by Jondog » Tue May 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Beauty, congrats!

sa1126

Post by sa1126 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:27 pm

Nice. I kick myself for not snagging one when sam ash had them on closeout a few years ago :shock:
almost all my gear was recently stolen :(

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Tue May 27, 2014 4:46 pm

Congrats! Really nice guitar! :D
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Always liked those Mascis Jazzmasters. The pickups in Jazzmasters are specific to that guitar, despite people thinking they are P90's... they are not, and despite their large size, they are rather low output but have a unique and killer sound. I'd play it for awhile before swapping pickups right away... you may find it's a nice change of tone from the SG. Jazzmaster pickups always sound gnarly into a fuzz pedal (which are sound the best when using a guitar with low output pickups).
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:00 pm

very cool! Always dug that guitar.

You may want to consider picking up a Mastery bridge for it to help quell the inevitable tremolo problems associated with those guitars.

http://www.masterybridge.com/which-bridge.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not affiliated with them in any way. But have heard they make a world of difference.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

burnscs
Tiny Terror

Post by burnscs » Wed May 28, 2014 1:17 pm

0000 wrote:Always liked those Mascis Jazzmasters. The pickups in Jazzmasters are specific to that guitar, despite people thinking they are P90's... they are not, and despite their large size, they are rather low output but have a unique and killer sound. I'd play it for awhile before swapping pickups right away... you may find it's a nice change of tone from the SG. Jazzmaster pickups always sound gnarly into a fuzz pedal (which are sound the best when using a guitar with low output pickups).
Yeah, thanks for the advice I'm going to give it some time. It sounds soooooo different than the P90 that I even changed tubes in the amp because I thought something was off maybe since the amp is new to me. The ad30r baaaaarely even breaks up now at full gain, and with my OCD cranked(volume not gain) it stills sounds a little less driven then the normal ad30 with p90. I'm going to look for a good fuzz pedal to see how that works.
1970's OR80R Combo
AD30R
AD30HTC
Tiny Terror
212PPCOB
PPC412
OR412

1967 Gibson SG Junior
Fender J Mascis Signature Jazzmaster