strat wiring mod...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mr_william
Orange Master

strat wiring mod...

Post by mr_william » Tue May 13, 2014 6:29 pm

so i stumbled across a simple mod eric johnson's apparently done on his strat in the past...

simply wireing the neck pickup in place of the middle pickup and the middle in place of the neck.

that'd suggest;

5 - middle
4 - middle and neck
3 - neck
2 - neck and bridge
1 - bridge

has anyone tried this?

thoughts?
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Re: strat wiring mod...

Post by OrangePaul » Tue May 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Seems a good idea if the middle position is the one you use least...

Stick it to one end out of the way :)
Paul.

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Tue May 13, 2014 7:04 pm

No, I haven't tried that, but I took out one of the tone controls and made the remaining tone control master tone. Then I put in a switch in the second tone position, but I rewired the other pickups so I don't have the previous options.

I was just experimenting, but you can simply use a three way switch for middle pickup on/off/by itself.

This setup isn't what I want right now, maybe I'll do it eventually, because I want to try out various combinations in series. Neck and middle in series wasn't exactly what I was hoping for (although it's interesting), but I want to try middle and bridge in series, as well as all 3 in series. All 3 in parallel is really cool, I've tried that and I like that a lot.

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Tue May 13, 2014 7:24 pm

i'm thinking i could have it returned to stock on a switch too...

ignore the labels.. but the switch wired like this:

one being the middle one being the neck then i can swap where they go on the pickup selector...

i've currently got a series/parallel switch in there and that's fun... really dark but with a treble booster it screams...

at volume when i sustain a note, i can feel the guitar vibrating in my hands on the edge of feedback... i don't get that with my other guitars!...
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue May 13, 2014 7:37 pm

My vigier is wired with the middle position being bridge and neck pick up instead of middle pick up. I don't have any use for it.

The phase isn't as pronounced as neck/ middle or middle/bridge and doesn't really offer much I find.

One of my future mod will be to change it to normal strat wiring.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Longer

Post by Longer » Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 pm

Yes, I'm a neck pup freak and have done the mod.
I came up with the idea myself, but figured someone had to have done it before.
Kinda like the neck/mid with more bite. I like to run them in series too! Beefs them up a bit.
Easy to do, easy to reverse. Have fun!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed May 14, 2014 9:47 am

Plenty of Strat wiring mods. I use instrument tone controls to fine tune the sound as I play and hated not having it on the bridge p/up from stock. Now I do, works much better for me.

Wonder if there is a list anywhere of the common Strat wiring mods all put together?

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu May 15, 2014 6:40 am

a.hun wrote:Plenty of Strat wiring mods. I use instrument tone controls to fine tune the sound as I play and hated not having it on the bridge p/up from stock. Now I do, works much better for me.

Wonder if there is a list anywhere of the common Strat wiring mods all put together?

Andy.
The Am Special (and maybe others) have the tone on the bridge. I agree, it's the only position where tone is useful. Moreover it got the greasebucket circuit I like so much. I replicate this on my other single coil guitars.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 15, 2014 4:51 pm

Hubaxe wrote:
a.hun wrote:Plenty of Strat wiring mods. I use instrument tone controls to fine tune the sound as I play and hated not having it on the bridge p/up from stock. Now I do, works much better for me.

Andy.
The Am Special (and maybe others) have the tone on the bridge. I agree, it's the only position where tone is useful.
I didn't say that. I want some sort of tone controls on all p/ups which is what I now have! :wink:

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Thu May 15, 2014 6:47 pm

You have 3 tones or just one? It would be cool to put 3 concentric pots, and use the 5 way selector for phase or something. If you wire the volumes like a Jazz Bass, the guitar won't turn off if just one volume is on zero.

Longer

Post by Longer » Fri May 16, 2014 1:31 am

On my strat home brew I went wild on the mods, but it turned out wonderful and I love it to no end.

The bridge and mid pup are CS69s.
The neck pup is a custom Don Mare 2 speed, switchable from around 6k to 8k, and RW/RP from the 69s.

1st Knob - push pot for master volume / push for in series with either the mid or bridge pup.

2nd Knob - push pot for master tone / push for bridge pup on

3rd Knob - Rothstein Midrange Shaper. - passive mids control

I had to combine 3 different schematics to pull it off!

Plus I shielded her with copper tape and star grounded the electronics to a 1964 penny wrapped in copper. (Because 1, the finish was based on a 60's white strat, and 2, I'm a geek like that.)

Man, I got some stellar guitars, but this strat has become my number 1. Not only does she play great, the sonic flexibility is outrageous.

I know this can gross some purists out, but hey, I didn't built it for anyone but me. Fun stuff!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri May 16, 2014 7:29 pm

megalithic wrote:You have 3 tones or just one?
Me? Two tone controls as usual. Only difference from stock is that the middle p/up tone control also now works with the bridge p/up. With one tiny extra wire connection a Strat becomes truly useful for me.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wi ... =tone_f_bp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.

dylan
Orange Master

Post by dylan » Sun May 18, 2014 9:46 am

When i fitted Kinman's to my Strat I ordered them on the K7 harness, as well as being better quality than the fender wiring he also adds a mod to retain treble when the volume is turned down, and also makes tone 1 a master tone for all pickups and tone 2 a fader for the neck pickup! This setup gives you all the usual pickup options plus with tone 2 rolled down to 0 and the selector switch in position 1 or 2 it will give you B+N and B+M+N! And as tone 2 is a fader you can just add a small neck pickup flavour to the bridge and bridge/middle if you like, it is perfect for me!
~Ian~

Gigady, Gigady, Gigady!