Or15 and Fuzz

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

senilegneious

Or15 and Fuzz

Post by senilegneious » Wed May 07, 2014 12:37 pm

Hey guys,

Just recently got an Or15, and although it has MORE THAN ENOUGH gain on tap, I was wondering what you guys used to get a good fuzzed out tone. I have some OD/fuzz pedals, and the OR15 is VERY fickle with them. It's a shame, because I was dead set on order a Hoof Reaper, and now I'm having second thoughts. Not really into the whole "muff" type fuzz, more like something to get me 70s Fuzzed out Ronson esque tones.

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Re: Or15 and Fuzz

Post by Eddie Famine » Wed May 07, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm not sure how well a fuzz will work with the OR15, but get your best amp sound first, and for that Ronson sound get a wah, rock it until you find that sweet spot, and leave it.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed May 07, 2014 3:23 pm

Perhaps check out the BAT Pharoah. Also I believe fuzz pedals work best (with Orange amps) on the clean channel.

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Wed May 07, 2014 4:01 pm

I use a BAT Black Forest OD with my OR15 and it sounds great for that 70's vibe. Its a color sound clone with some added features. Check out some YouTube clips.

Edit: just set the amp so its just on the edge of breakup or with a small amount of drive and the pedal a little more than 12 o'clock on the drive with a higher volume for a thinner sound. Or you can push the amps gain and it will add that thick fuzz spongy sound to it.

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Wed May 07, 2014 4:34 pm

You could try a Roger Mayer Mongoose, but it might or might not be good with your rig, depending on what type of pickups/guitar you have. Or maybe a Spitfire if you want brighter...

senilegneious

Post by senilegneious » Wed May 07, 2014 5:17 pm

Cool, I'll check out the "BAT Black Forest OD". Right now I have my gain set a little BELOW 12:00, and that works well with my OCD clone. I get a nice crunch from the amp itself, and then use the OD to push it over the edge. Trying to do the same with a fuzz pedal! I'll have to mess with my wah to see if I can get that rad "cocked wah Ronson" sound...Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Progbusters

Post by Progbusters » Wed May 07, 2014 10:44 pm

I don't have an OR15 but I have the Jim Root Terror and it doesn't work well with Fuzz at all.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:55 am

Just jammed my black Forrest and pharoah through my OR 15 !! As mentioned they rule

senilegneious

Post by senilegneious » Thu May 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Awesome! Trying to track down a used Black Forest. Sounds super versatile! Then I'm tempted with that one that has the Black Forest and Pharoah in one box...haha.

jax510
Rocker

Post by jax510 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:18 pm

With amps like the or15 and wanting to get a good fuzz sound I find the fuzz will sound best if your amp is set totally clean and the volume is at unity on the pedal otherwise the volume boost of the fuzz pushes the amp into overdrive which can sound good when mixed with the fuzz but more often than not it doesn't.

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:22 pm

I can get this awesome "guitar climbing out of a wall of fuzz" sound by setting the gain at about 2 o'clock on the 15 watt setting, volume about noon, my DM-1 set on the Big Muff Pi (with as much sustain and drive as I can get without losing all note clarity completely) AND a Voodoo octave fuzz set just to add a touch more THEN a Bad Horsie 2 wah, it's like King Buzzo is fighting a swarm of bees while riding an elevator out of pit made of velcro!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu May 08, 2014 10:54 pm

OR73 wrote:...it's like King Buzzo is fighting a swarm of bees while riding an elevator out of pit made of velcro!
This is easily the best description of anything ever described in the history of descriptiveness.

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Thu May 08, 2014 11:15 pm

jax510 wrote:With amps like the or15 and wanting to get a good fuzz sound I find the fuzz will sound best if your amp is set totally clean and the volume is at unity on the pedal otherwise the volume boost of the fuzz pushes the amp into overdrive which can sound good when mixed with the fuzz but more often than not it doesn't.
Honestly, with the OR15, I find everything sounds like crap to me if the amp is set clean. Instead i like a slight breakup whick makes everything sound thick and rich. I know that it seems counter intuitive but this is a part of the magic of this thing. Also note that this amp is very picky but the pedals that I've found that do work end up working this way for me. The pedals I've had good results from are the BAT Black Forest OD and the Mojo Hand Colossus.

senilegneious

Post by senilegneious » Fri May 09, 2014 12:39 pm

It's a shame because the gain on this amp is so good. I've never had better note definition and clarity, as I did at practice with the amp boosted slightly with my Fuzzrocious OSD. Sometimes you just want a different tone. for recording, I seriously doubt I'd use pedals though, I'd just tweak the amp a bit to get the sounds I needed.

jax510
Rocker

Post by jax510 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:51 am

hitgar wrote:
jax510 wrote:With amps like the or15 and wanting to get a good fuzz sound I find the fuzz will sound best if your amp is set totally clean and the volume is at unity on the pedal otherwise the volume boost of the fuzz pushes the amp into overdrive which can sound good when mixed with the fuzz but more often than not it doesn't.
Honestly, with the OR15, I find everything sounds like crap to me if the amp is set clean. Instead i like a slight breakup whick makes everything sound thick and rich. I know that it seems counter intuitive but this is a part of the magic of this thing. Also note that this amp is very picky but the pedals that I've found that do work end up working this way for me. The pedals I've had good results from are the BAT Black Forest OD and the Mojo Hand Colossus.
cool glad it's working! yeah that's why i said generally but not always. For me I usually prefer the amp clean but there are times when i love it with the gain cranked, like with my mxr micro synth. just kinda depends