Differences between OR15 and Jim Root Terror

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Differences between OR15 and Jim Root Terror

Post by Man1ak » Fri May 02, 2014 6:08 am

I am interested in learning the differences between these 2 amps. They share the same PCB and the only difference I could find on the internet was that the EQ section is different - the OR is voiced towards vintage, while the JR is voiced towards modern. Can anybody share more specific information - i.e. what components and how are they different?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Differences between OR15 and Jim Root Terror

Post by Randy Bass » Fri May 02, 2014 1:21 pm

The official Orange description of the JR #4 is basically a 15-watt Rockerverb (without the 'verb), which isn't totally modern-sounding. The OR15 is not as vintage-voiced as I expected it to be, so I think both amps are probably quite similar. If you can get past the "#4" graphic and Jim Root association, the JR #4 is a pretty great-looking amp for a pretty good price if you aren't set on a headsleeved model.

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Fri May 02, 2014 5:20 pm

I heard Adrian Emsley talking about both and he was mentioning the difference in EQ between JR Terror and OR15. Has anybody looked inside the JR and checked the component values in the EQ?

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Sat May 03, 2014 2:45 am

When I think of 'modern' guitar tones, I think about a lot of the chunky, scooped mids, tuned down nu-metal type tones. That's my basis for modern.

So that being said, IMO, the OR15 is very much vintage voiced. It has great mid-range crunch and can do all sorts of early '70's rock tones, '70's/'80's punk/hardcore tones, blues, etc. I have not heard it do the newer sounding, chunky, mid scooped 'modern' tones that I refer to.

I don't know about the JRT, I've never tried one. But based on the tones that Jim uses in Stone Sour and Slipknot, I would imagine that it's more of a modern voiced amp for that scooped, chunky metal tone.

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Sat May 03, 2014 1:40 pm

I have never played the #4 but OR15 isn't very tight so it chugs like a good rock tune but I don't think its tight enough for metal. Even when you scoop the eq as much as you can, its still got that biting midrange. From what I've heard on demos the #4 seems tighter and the eq seems aseems to have a broader range. I personally love the OR15 but I am bias. Its a beast.

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Mon May 05, 2014 6:31 pm

I have the OR15 as well and I like the sound. I was curious, though, how is the modern EQ vs the vintage version. Presumably it has to do with the cap values in the EQ section (in this particular case), as the rest of the amps are supposed to be identical. Anybody having more info?

Progbusters

Post by Progbusters » Wed May 07, 2014 10:49 pm

For my JRT:

If I am using a guitar with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bridge - I can get clean, blues, rock, hard rock, 80's metal and then fuzz.

If I am using another guitar with Dimarzio D-Activator X bridge pickups - I can get the above plus modern metal.

My Baja Telecaster can also do metal.

Its pretty versatile -- with that Orange tone of course.

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:39 pm

IMO, the JRT sounded a little tighter and more 7 string metal savvy. My OR15 can't really do that all that well. BUT, it can kick out some Sabbath, LZ, stoner rock or T-Rex type tones all day long. I think it's a matter of taste, the JRT is a fine amp and if I had gotten a deal on one like I did for my OR15 I would have bought one.

as the other folks have said; if you are looking for a 70's "classic rock" kinda sound, go for the OR15, if you like a more modern heavy sound, hit up the JRT.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy