Helpful salesman or opinionated musician?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Valvelust
Tiny Terror

Re: Helpful salesman or opinionated musician?

Post by Valvelust » Thu May 01, 2014 3:13 pm

"Caveat Emptor"

That's what doing research is all about!

Otherwise one may get lead down a path of opinion or deception.....

Educate and form your own opinion!

Sounds like they are trying to push Mesa sales, and their business IS sales! I bet as a dealer there could be quota's they have to reach to maintain their agreement.
hitgar wrote:(Sorry for the long post)
Setting
A friend of mine is looking for a new amp. He gets a list of features and tones that he wants but hates talking to sales people because they always talk him into buying something he doesn't want. I.e he goes in for a les paul walks out with a 7 string schecter. I agree to call some places and help him get some ideas so he can go into a store and try a few to make his decision.

Some features and tones.
He likes darker sounding amps.
He doesn't need high gain but does want it to be available for a possible side project he's working on.
He likes amps that give enough control that you can dial in some extra bass and low mids and cut the highs.
If it is a higher wattage amp then he wants the room to put in a Divo in the future

The conversation
I called a very well known place which I will not mention because I think they are great and I'm hoping it was just this guy. The guy obviously loves Mesa. He pushes this from the beginning. When I tell him that its hard to tell because everyone always scoops the crap out of it he assures me that your supposed to. When I say that I don't like to scoop my amps he again assures me that if I get that amp then I should. When I even mention another amp he stops me in my tracks and swears that this is the amp I want. When I tell him that I don't like V30's in a cab he argues that I would with this amp. When I ask him if there is enough room to insert the Divo he says no but then explains to me that I would never want to change the type of tubes in the amp because Mesa makes sure that everything is there for a reason and if I change anything it would just make it worse. He never listened to what I want or why I want it and instead tried to recruit me into the Cult of Mesa.

Now I know that most musicians are opinionated, myself included as I tried to showcase various Orange amps, but sales people should be helpful and listen. I know that its hard to remove your own personal feelings, and in many cases you don't need to because it shows passion about what your doing and often ends in a sale, but sometimes you should. I don't usually talk to sales people in shops unless I'm trying to talk down a price. I know what I want because I've researched the crap out of it and just go buy it (or order it). Maybe they just need to up their Mesa sales so the line doesn't get pulled from the store or something.

Does anyone else experience this when they talk to these people or was this just a poor exchange?

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Thu May 01, 2014 5:34 pm

alexauxier wrote:Hey would you do me a favor and let me know which store this is, the employee's name, the store's open hours, the color of this guy's hair, and describe in less than 50 words his scent?

I want to go up there and beat the sh ---....um, "train" him on how to better serve the needs of his customers.
oh Alex. I'd hate to see what would happen if I guy was pushed nothing but Line 6
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu May 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Wired wrote:
alexauxier wrote:Hey would you do me a favor and let me know which store this is, the employee's name, the store's open hours, the color of this guy's hair, and describe in less than 50 words his scent?

I want to go up there and beat the sh ---....um, "train" him on how to better serve the needs of his customers.
oh Alex. I'd hate to see what would happen if I guy was pushed nothing but Line 6
Well if nothing else they would n't be open very long.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu May 01, 2014 11:10 pm

alexauxier wrote:Hey would you do me a favor and let me know which store this is, the employee's name, the store's open hours, the color of this guy's hair, and describe in less than 50 words his scent?...
If he loves Mesas that much, he's probably going to smell like Creed. Look for someone with hoop earrings, spikey hair, and a flavor saver.

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Fri May 02, 2014 2:35 pm

hitgar wrote:He said something that pissed her off and she starts screaming at him about 6 inches from his face. He never changed his expression as he gets up and slowly walks into the kitchen. She maintains her 6 inch distance the whole time. He goes into the cupboard and pulls out a bowl and a can of soup. Places it in the microwave and waits for it to cook. She is still screaming mind you.
Sounds like he needs a new girlfriend along with the amp.

Serious lack of respect to treat someone like that even if he was in the wrong. :?

If that's his attitude he won't be in the job long........unless you want a MESA.

I hear they play guitar for you whilst you see to a groupie behind the stack, as MESA have thought of everything! :lol:
Gear: Kurt Cobain Jaguar, Kurt Cobain Mustang, American Std Tele ('10 3burst), Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange OR15, Orange Tiny Terror HW, Vox Night Train NT15H, Marshall JCM-1H, PPC112 Cab & a Marshall Custom Pin-Up

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Sat May 03, 2014 4:18 am

CarbonToe. wrote:
hitgar wrote:He said something that pissed her off and she starts screaming at him about 6 inches from his face. He never changed his expression as he gets up and slowly walks into the kitchen. She maintains her 6 inch distance the whole time. He goes into the cupboard and pulls out a bowl and a can of soup. Places it in the microwave and waits for it to cook. She is still screaming mind you.
Sounds like he needs a new girlfriend along with the amp.

Serious lack of respect to treat someone like that even if he was in the wrong. :?
That day was the last day I've seen her. On the bright side, he didn't seem like anything bad had happened the following week. I guess he was emotionless after all.

I appreciate the support but he's probably about 4 foot 6, 98 lbs, and has a mullet. I got this.

But seriously, it doesn't bother me that he was the way he was, I just wasn't sure if this was a bad sales person or a typical sales person. I personally don't ask their opinions because I do my homework before I speak to them. But I figured since it wasn't me making the purchase I would ask the question to help my buddy. Won't make that mistake again.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Wed May 07, 2014 6:20 pm

The key to being a successful salesperson is to listen and to give the customer options (all of which include buying). If you don't listen, you won't find out what the customer wants. If you don't know what the customer wants, then you won't know what you have to offer them. If you don't have anything to offer them, point them in the right direction. Such good behavior will be remembered. If you are an arrogant dweeb, the customer will never come back.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 08, 2014 8:42 am

That's certainly how it works with this customer. If the sales person is BS'ing me I stop them pretty quickly. If they are actually helpful and listening to me I'll listen to them too, and tend to go back.

Fell out with one music shop manager here who was less than helpful with backup service on a Fender bass I'd bought there. Had bought a fair bit of other stuff there in the past too including my Rocker 30 combo. Needless to say because of his BS attitude the Fender was the last thing I was buying there. (Fender themselves backed me up nicely of course when I contacted them.) Told all that to the manager himself - in front of some of his staff. He'd earned that!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Mon May 12, 2014 9:00 pm

Here's how to deal with a salesman like that. Ask the following questions:

Are you on commission? (Likely yes)
If the item you sell gets returned do you lose that commission? (Also, likely yes)
Then how would it benefit you if I buy this Mesa, don't like it, and return it?

If he answers that you won't return it because you'll like it too much, ask him how much commission he'll earn if you ask to deal with another salesperson.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact