Orange Rocker 50 FINALLY mine

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

homerun7dh

Post by homerun7dh » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:37 am

Hey guys. Just thought I'd let everyone know that I finally have gotten a Rockeverb 50. I've been on the brink of doing so for sometime, and I'm glad to say this forum was definitely the place that pushed me in the right direction. Thanks for all of the help so far.
As far as sound goes, I'm not one of those people that has a "perfect sound" in my head, I wasn't exactly sure what kind of sound I was going for exactly, but I'm glad that with the rockerverb's versatility, I can cover all bases. So I have one small problem.

When the gain is turned up really high (about 8 or 9 out of 10) i can't control the feedback AT ALL. Is this due to using higher output active EMG's? Anything I can do to make the feedback manageable?

Thanks in advance!
-Dan

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:47 am

Hi. Good Choice - I have one.
There is a helluva lot o'gain on the RV50 - and you've pretty much got it full whack. You sure you need all that gain?
For 90% of stuff I do the gain knob sits about 11:30 to 12:00 o'clock (i.e. not more than half way round the dial).... and this is plenty.
Your EMGs are just another link in the gain chain from guitar string through pickup, through pre-amp, through power amp, through speaker, through air and back to your string. If you get too close to the amp you'll get pretty much unmanageable feedback - point the speaker somewhere your guitar isn't.
However, unless there is reason you want to dial up a shed load of gain try starting off with the knob at zero and work it up a little at a time to where you get where you want to be.
Personally I think the gain knob goes from gritty, through singing lead with good response to picking dynamics (around 12 o'clock) to loadsagain (around 1 to 2 o'clock) through to totally unmanageable gain (3 o'clock and beyond) - bit like having a 1000hp motorbike - you never open the throttle fully (you'll kill yourself) but you know you've plenty o'power on tap.

professor plum
Orange Master

Post by professor plum » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:37 am

congrats man i love the smell of new oranges in the evening
valve.(((J0HN)))Resident village idiot
and some tech helper type said, "Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!" Chet put the guitar on it's stand and said, "Well, how does it sound now?"

burnt orange
Tiny Terror

Post by burnt orange » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:09 am

Congrats. I have one also and will agree wholeheartedly with bkgarrette. The highest I have ever needed the gain is around 2:00 but it just doesn't clean up as well as at 11-12. I too had a certain sound in my head and the first time playing this amp the sound was haunting it was so good. Enjoy the amp.

Benny Lamb
Rocker

Post by Benny Lamb » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:52 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by professor plum</i>
<br />congrats man i love the smell of new oranges in the evening
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Old Oranges smell even better........:D:D:D

theinteriorleague
Orange Master

Post by theinteriorleague » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:46 am

I turn my gain up all the way all the time on my rockerverb. Just put more distance between you and the amp, turn down the amp volume (if you are practicing), and/or turn down the guitar volume...and keep your hand over the strings when not in use. I haven't had too much problem with the sqeals, unless I want them to happen, but I don't have the emgs.

Rob Star
Tiny Terror

Post by Rob Star » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:06 pm

Congrats on the amp!!! I sent out an email similiar to this one just last week -- after scoring my own RV50H.

Enjoy the amp, and welcome to the forum!