Did something very stupid. now scared.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Did something very stupid. now scared.

Post by a.hun » Thu May 01, 2014 8:00 am

Kenji wrote:
misterfolkertsma wrote:Well, he does say he's going to learn it. Until a "no sound after mod, help!" gets posted by Mr Kenji, I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt. :wink:
Well thank you!... I'm actualy starting my mechanical engineering degree on the 5th of may and I'm gonna have quite a few electric and electronic courses. When I say mod the amp, I'm only talking about changer the lamps and the Output transformer not some weird things.
If you are interested see if there are courses on valve technology. (Less common these days for obvious reasons!) If so they will be useful to you. But remember that valve and solid state technology, while they have a lot in common, aren't the same. And that in even a small valve amp there may be lethal voltages stored, well above the mains supply voltage, even long after powering the amp down and disconnecting it from the mains. To do ANY work safely inside these amps you need to understand exactly what is going on and how to safely discharge those stored voltages safely and test that they are safe to work on. There are also general safety guidelines on how to work on them eg. only ever use one hand inside the chassis and DON'T touch the chassis with the other hand. That way if something nasty does happen at least the discharge won't go from arm to arm via your chest (and heart)!
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... adid=74283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please take all these safety warnings seriously and if you do want to learn about working on valve amps get practical help from an experienced tech. The risks are very real and much greater than when working with solid state technology...

Andy.

Even experienced amp techs have occasional moments
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Vertikal
Tiny Terror

Re: Did something very stupid. now scared.

Post by Vertikal » Thu May 01, 2014 9:38 pm

I'm glad I have a bit of OCD when it comes to setting amps, cabs, pedals and guitars up... I've got a nasty (good?) habit of setting a rig up from scratch, checking all is wired up properly, checking again... Check one more time... Checking again, check just one more time... Check a few more times, go to power up... Just one more check. Switch on at the mains, stand by... check just one more time... Switch on. Point is, I really don't like anything that involves lots of cables, power mains and electricity and I could never attempt to modify any amp.

Besides, Orange amps shouldn't be modified... They're great the way they are! Leave it alone!