NPD and NPBD!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

myboss57
Orange Master

NPD and NPBD!

Post by myboss57 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:56 pm

So, I took that Stratocaster back to the shop and they only do store credit. So I had $700 store credit to use! So I decided to get a couple pedals and a pedal board. I picked up a power conditioned SKB hardcase pedalboard. Then a Moog MF Drive pedal and a Boss Digital Reverb. Then today I used a gift card that I had forgot I had to buy a pedal from a Baltimore guy that builds pedals - Noise Kick FX pedals. The one I got is called Splatter Delay. It has a switch that allows you to choose either detune or feedback. With that you can press another switch (or even tap it) and add a detune or feedback to your delay trails. It's pretty sweet! Really different and fun. So with that and the TC Alter Ego I got delay for days! :mrgreen:

Here's a pic of the board. Not really sure of the best chain for setting up the pedals, but figured it should go Guitar > Tuner > Alter Ego > Noise Kick FX > Digital Delay > MF Drive > Amp. If anyone has other suggestions I'm open! I have never had this many pedals before. Should be fun!

Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Re: NPD and NPBD!

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:09 pm

Cool man! That should fill up quickly. :wink:

As for order I always prefer delay and reverb at the end after modulation and drive.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:Cool man! That should fill up quickly. :wink:

As for order I always prefer delay and reverb at the end after modulation and drive.
Thanks! And yeah, I have been looking around on Proguitarshop.com a bit looking at phasers and tremelos and choruses! :lol:

Okay... "At the end"... That means right before the amp or right before the guitar? I'm a noob when it comes to multiple effects!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:22 pm

Try Guitar-Tuner-Drive-Modulations-Delays-Reverb-Amp, in that order. That's generally the best for noise reduction and efficacy of effects. If you have an effects loop, throw the Modulations, delays, and reverb in that chain.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:23 pm

I usually go drive > delay > reverb. The common idea is that you don't want dirt/drive distorting your delays and ambience, you want delays and ambience of your drive tone. That being said, there's no right or wrong really, just try different orders and see what you like!

Snicker summed it up as well.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:26 pm

Okay, that makes sense! I may swap the drive and mod pedals then, but I guess the best thing will be to see how it is next band practice! Thanks!!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:32 pm

That drive pedal sounds an interesting buy...
Found this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRjSdlJ4zWE

I'm pretty sure Slim means from guitar straight into drive pedal...

Only things I would normally run before drive would be compressor and wah. Delay before drive can work though it just gives a totally different result

Edit: and tuner of course up front :)
Paul.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:44 pm

OrangePaul wrote:That drive pedal sounds an interesting buy...
Found this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRjSdlJ4zWE

I'm pretty sure Slim means from guitar straight into drive pedal...

Only things I would normally run before drive would be compressor and wah. Delay before drive can work though it just gives a totally different result

Edit: and tuner of course up front :)
The Moog is really pretty incredible. I was really impressed with it!! Basically, it seems to offer me a boost type pedal or a distortion pedal, based on the settings. There were some really sweet dirt/crunch tones from it!!

And that makes sense, so I'll basically put the Drive right after the tuner. So it's Tuner > Drive > Alter Ego > Noise FX > Digital Reverb? Oh, and no FX Loop on the Sovtek, so it's all going straight in!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:52 pm

Yeah you got it :)
Paul.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:02 am

Sweeeeeeeet. 8)

And thanks!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:24 am

If you want to get a tremolo in the future, I find they sometimes fit best after the delay, not before.

What you have to decide for that is whether you want your tremoloed tone to be delayed, or your delay to be tremoloed..... if that makes sense!!!!!!

I really like the look of that board!!!! Is the lead / case going all over it? how heavey is it?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:23 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:If you want to get a tremolo in the future, I find they sometimes fit best after the delay, not before.

What you have to decide for that is whether you want your tremoloed tone to be delayed, or your delay to be tremoloed..... if that makes sense!!!!!!

I really like the look of that board!!!! Is the lead / case going all over it? how heavey is it?
That does make sense, thanks! And thanks, yeah, the case is pretty heavy. I think the power conditioner is the culprit there for sure. I may take Gladmarr's recent advice on affixing pedals to boards, as I am finding that the velcro probably won't hold up longterm, it just seems to easy to come loose. I fear one day I'll open her up and all my pedals will be all over the place. :(

And there is a another panel that goes over top of it and then latches down to the base. It's SKB, so it's pretty heavy duty stuff.
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:46 pm

OrangePaul wrote: I'm pretty sure Slim means from guitar straight into drive pedal...
Yup. But it looks like you got it.

There are some modulation effects I like before dirt from playing around with the Mobius but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head which ones I liked before and which I liked after.

I do prefer a wah after dirt though for whatever reason. I think it's probably because I get a more consistent drive sound throughout the sweep and I get a more prominent sweep from the wah out of that set up.

Or maybe because I set it up that way back 15 years ago when I was gigging regularly because it put the wah closer to my foot and I got used to it that way.

:lol:

Fickle musicians......
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:41 pm

If you are looking for a trem pedal, check out the Empress Tremelo 2. I had the Strymon Flint for a while but wasn't a fan. This one is top of my Trem list. Tons of features for a solid price.