Who likes

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Who likes

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:14 am

Nirvana. I do. Effin love'em and Playing Nirvana on my Rocker sounds F'N amazing.

davebolden44
Rocker

Re: Who likes

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:21 am

love them, kyuss, the melvins I could go on for days but these amps are made for that $hit.
fresh outta oranges

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:31 am

I think Kurt would play an Orange. They weren't back in at that period. He played a DS-1 into a mesa preamp into a Crown power amp with V-30's. Orange grabs that sound.

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:34 am

I think kurt would have played through just about anything but I think he would have enjoyed an orange
fresh outta oranges

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:42 am

Soo good. Cranking the gain with an octavater nails that fuzzy Pennyroyal Tea/In Utero fury. Boss DS-1 still the best it is at what it does. Love playing that Seattle Kyuss/Soundgarden/Screaming Trees sound. How well does Orange get the grunge? Well... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jamJIe332R0
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:52 am

The Orange has a bit of rawness to it that you can't get from a Marshall or Fender without a pedal.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:55 am

davebolden44 wrote:I think kurt would have played through just about anything but I think he would have enjoyed an orange
Well, his live set up was a mesa preamp through a Crown power-amp and a DS-1 or Sansamp pedal. The clean tones were straight up and his pedal and guitars (typicallly a fender with SD JB pick-ups) had an edge that wasn't creamy aor bluesy, but edgey, like an Orange. An Orange is in essence, kind of grungy sounding. I hate the word grunge.

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:00 am

funny you bring him up today cause I was messin with a jag stang just earlier
fresh outta oranges

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:07 am

Personally, I dislike Nirvana - then and now. That note he goes for in his live cover of The Man Who Sold the World and overshoots it would make me put a gun to my head. Oh wait...

Foo Fighters are a much better band in my opinion...

Noel Gallagher summed it up in talking about his song, Live Forever:
Noel Gallagher explained that "At the time . . . it was written in the middle of grunge and all that, and I remember Nirvana had a tune called 'I Hate Myself and Want to Die', and I was like . . . 'Well, I'm not freaking having that.' As much as I freaking like him [Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain] and all that pile of poop, I'm not having that. I can't have people like that coming over here, on smack, freaking saying that they hate themselves and they wanna die. That's freaking rubbish. Kids don't need to be hearing that nonsense." While Gallagher has stated he did not intend "Live Forever" as a direct retort to Nirvana or their music (being a professed fan of the band), he contrasted the lives of Cobain and his band at that point, saying, "Seems to me that here was a guy who had everything, and was miserable about it. And we had dollywaggle-all, and I still thought that getting up in the morning was the greatest fuckin' thing ever, 'cause you didn't know where you'd end up at night. And we didn't have a pot to piss in, but it was freaking great, man".

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:10 am

how come when I write dollywaggle its censored?
fresh outta oranges

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:19 am

bclaire wrote:Personally, I dislike Nirvana - then and now. That note he goes for in his live cover of The Man Who Sold the World and overshoots it would make me put a gun to my head. Oh wait...

Foo Fighters are a much better band in my opinion...

Noel Gallagher summed it up in talking about his song, Live Forever:
Noel Gallagher explained that "At the time . . . it was written in the middle of grunge and all that, and I remember Nirvana had a tune called 'I Hate Myself and Want to Die', and I was like . . . 'Well, I'm not freaking having that.' As much as I freaking like him [Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain] and all that pile of poop, I'm not having that. I can't have people like that coming over here, on smack, freaking saying that they hate themselves and they wanna die. That's freaking rubbish. Kids don't need to be hearing that nonsense." While Gallagher has stated he did not intend "Live Forever" as a direct retort to Nirvana or their music (being a professed fan of the band), he contrasted the lives of Cobain and his band at that point, saying, "Seems to me that here was a guy who had everything, and was miserable about it. And we had dollywaggle-all, and I still thought that getting up in the morning was the greatest fuckin' thing ever, 'cause you didn't know where you'd end up at night. And we didn't have a pot to piss in, but it was freaking great, man".
Yeah, I know what you're saying.. It's beyondwhat I'm saying though. And, all of that is argued alot. That song, I hate myself I Want To Die was actually not put on an album because Kurt didn't want to put it out and have it to be perceived the wrong way. I could go on. I'm talking about the actual sound of the music, which really wasn't a sought after plexi, or Fendery tone.

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:22 am

once again something awesome and simple around here is destroyed through a bunch of anylitical bull$hit
fresh outta oranges

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:28 am

davebolden44 wrote:once again something awesome and simple around here is destroyed through a bunch of anylitical bull$hit
Not sure what you mean by "awesome and simple." Some people like Nirvana and that's their right. Some people don't and that's their right, too.

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:30 am

by awesome and simple I just meant the conversation in general. forums are for the free expression of opinion and I respect everyone's.
fresh outta oranges

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:46 am

Besides my point of Orange sounding awesome with Nirvana, the music itself not only has stood the test of time to this point, but it is not only simple, but very complex all in one. It's easy to play, but the way it's all put together alomng with the words is truly unique and hasn't really been replicated. Even the distortion and feedback non-sense. It was scultped, like art.