Who likes

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Re: Who likes

Post by nlimbaugh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:46 am

I just had to comment.... I was in the van when we heard of Kurt... and we watched OJ on our little black and white tv too. Playing shows is really a bunch of time traveling. Anyway, Noel had a cool tune on his solo album that was ..well.. beautiful. And, Kurt didn't experiment with enough drugs.... depression is real but can be conquered IMO. I guess Kurt was too busy or not creative enough to find the chemicals he needed. And, no, not everyone wakes up happy like Noel. And, Dave Grohl chomps gum with his mouth open, but I should not judge. Kurt was great. Too bad...

Doctor Volume
Tiny Terror

Post by Doctor Volume » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:49 am

snickerpuss wrote:Soo good. Cranking the gain with an octavater nails that fuzzy Pennyroyal Tea/In Utero fury. Boss DS-1 still the best it is at what it does. Love playing that Seattle Kyuss/Soundgarden/Screaming Trees sound. How well does Orange get the grunge? Well... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jamJIe332R0

I've never heard of the Screaming Trees before..... GOD BLESS YOU!!!
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:02 am

Happy to spread the good word. It was that ugly bastard, Mark Lanegan's first band. And Josh Homme joined up with them for a bit, so they're often considered not much more than a footnote in the Queens of the Stone Age origins story. All their albums are pretty solid though, and Mark Lanegan's throaty baritone voice was never put to better use. One look at the bassist and guitarist reveals why they weren't very TV friendly, but they were all great showmen and musicians.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

Doctor Volume
Tiny Terror

Post by Doctor Volume » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:08 am

I'm a huge Kyuss fan (Blues for a Red Sky is def top ten) and I love Homme, but i don't tend to dive too deep into my intrest (ADD maybe). But i definitely love the desert scene. Hope the Screaming Trees are up that avenue.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:44 am

I realize that this has become a Nirvana worship thread, but originally we were asked, "Do you like..."

No. I don't. I remember sitting on my couch and seeing the unplugged thing and wondering if I had entered a parallel universe where out-of-tune guitars and bad timing were normal and musicianship meant nothing. I get the whole "music lessons and theory get in the way of creativity" argument: easy to say from sombody who's clearly never tried to learn and is just plain lazy. For me, Nirvana ruined rock music for at least 20 years, and spawned a legion of ignorant "guitarist" chuckle-heads. I realize that they wanted to shite in the face of the establishment. I don't want to be shat at in the face, I want to hear good music that gives me the feeling that the players have even the slightest understanding their craft. I don't hire a brick layer to build a wall and admire him because he just says "eff it" and scoops up my crush stone driveway and sticks it together with dog poop from the lawn.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 am

OU818 wrote:I listen to lots of different music and hold no restrictions on what I enjoy.

You guys should try it. :mrgreen:
My philosophy too. I hate pigeonholing different styles of music except into two categories, what I get (like, appreciate) and what I don't. That is personal though, and my own opinion doesn't make it 'good' or 'bad'. If someone out there gets it than for them it is good - end of story.

FWIW my wife Yvonne and I both like Nirvana. I really can't get the unplugged album myself but she loves it. She was also at a 'legendary' Nirvana gig at the Paradiso but wasn't hugely knocked out - says she's seen plenty much better gigs there. Video (if it was the same gig) looks pretty damn good to me though.

Music is subjective folks...

Andy.

PS. Without meaning to hurt anybody, with the exception of one song I always thought Oasis were garbage. So what???
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:51 am

Interesting how this has somehow turned into a Nirvana/Oasis thread. Not knocking Oasis or anything, I just always find forum metamorphoses like these fascinating. Having said that I never found Oasis particularly appealing. Bizarre how Cobain's band wrote gibberish lyrics to be dark and moody and Gallagher's wrote gibberish lyrics because they liked the rhymes and sounds of the syllables with juxtaposition of diction. Lyrically speaking, Wonderwall makes as much sense as Smells Like Teen Spirit, albeit Noel is certainly more articulate. Haha
For me Oasis liked a creative edge that bands like Radiohead and Nirvana had during the nineties. And it always sounded like they weren't having as much fun as they should have. Hell, I still really enjoy Harvey Danger and Sublime over Oasis, probably just cus it sounded like those bands didn't take themselves nearly as seriously.
Teles, Strat, SG
Pedalspedalspedals

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:46 pm

Wendigo wrote:...I don't hire a brick layer to build a wall and admire him because he just says "eff it" and scoops up my crush stone driveway and sticks it together with dog poop from the lawn...
:D

That's a pretty good analogy. The only problem is that it was probably as much a deliberately crafted image as it was actual laziness. I might call it "Pseudo-Apathy". I have trouble getting the whole "anti-establishment" arrogance routine though. Music is supposed to work with the ears. That's how I can like some of Nirvana's stuff without worshipping them and still recognize that a lot of it was not very good.

thelatrobe33
Tiny Terror

Post by thelatrobe33 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Nirvana was the first band that really got my blood pumping. I was an addict when I was younger. They made me decide to give up piano and get a guitar. I can play pretty much their entire catalog (admittedly, not that challenging :lol: ). It sounds great through my TH100.

That being said, I can't really listen to it anymore. I'm not sure if I just burnt myself out on it or if growing as a musician has led me to appreciate it less. It's so overly simplistic I get bored with it now, even though that was the magic that made me love it early on.

Since we got derailed on Oasis somewhere: I used to really dig them too. They've written some great songs and the 2 times I saw them live they really sounded great. They have ZERO stage presence, but the sound was always spot on and their dry, British humor banter in between songs always produced a few chuckles. I saw them in Akron, OH with Travis as an opening band. Travis was killer too back then and Andy Dunlop played some mean feedback solos on his Orange stack with a semi-hollow Gibson.
Dual Dark 50, Friedman Smallbox, '78 Twin Reverb, PPC412A, PPC212C

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Thu May 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Nirvana ruined rock music for at least 20 years
Different strokes for different folks. I always had the exact opposite opinion. Nirvana saved rock music. Do you remember how many god awful hair bands there were before Nirvana came out? That was the only rock music MTV ever seemed to play. Nirvana seemed to kill off the hair bands overnight and that was a very good thing IMO.

The first time I saw the video for "Smells like teen spirit" I thought wow music with real emotion. I could care less how great a musician someone is. To me the only thing that matters is can they write good songs and Kurt wrote some great ones.

To me Oasis was always just OK. I really preferred the Stone Roses. Their first album was great. To bad they couldn't keep it together.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu May 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Well, after 5 pages of the expected on the topic of Nirvana, I still think Orange sounds amazing for playing Nirvana.

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Thu May 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Jondog wrote:Well, after 5 pages of the expected on the topic of Nirvana, I still think Orange sounds amazing for playing Nirvana.
+1
Even though some of their studio work sounds scooped, their live stuff always sounded the exact opposite. It would have sounded great through Orange. But then again, what wouldn't sound better through an Orange? :wink:

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Thu May 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Jondog wrote:Well, after 5 pages of the expected on the topic of Nirvana, I still think Orange sounds amazing for playing Nirvana.
I think the biggest joy of Nirvana is its simplicity. Nowadays, Nirvana is 2 out of the first 5 songs you learn, the others being smoke on water and iron man and several nation army. Haha

And that furious sound! You don't need Cobain's exact studio setup or Jimi Hendrix fingers! Just Any ol' guitar, any ol' amp, and crank any ol' distortion, and beat the heck out of those strings. Just make sure your pickups are out of phase for that opening line in Teen Spirit. Orange fans can honestly say it sounds great through their Oranges, Marshall fans can say the same, and Fender and Mesa and what have you. I don't think any other band has had that level of musical accessibility.
Teles, Strat, SG
Pedalspedalspedals

Vertikal
Tiny Terror

Post by Vertikal » Thu May 01, 2014 9:08 pm

Who likes... Cult of Luna...

Probably not anyone because they're Artists that you either really like or you really don't, but for me they've had such a huge impact on my life and are the main influence for my Guitar playing moments, Vertikal being my favourite album by them (hence the nic name) and is most probably my all time favourite album. Cult of Luna are most certainly my all time top three favourite bands, the other two being Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin, in no particular order. Johannes Persson [Guitarist/Vocalist] is one of my most favourite singer/song writer/musician/guitarist/artists too.

Also, Cult of Luna are huge fans of Orange amplifiers and cabinets. They always have at least one Orange 4x12 each [three guitarists] and a huge selection of Orange heads. The only head I've not seen them use is the Orange Thunderverb 200, although Johannes loves his Sunn and Traynor amp heads as much as he loves his Orange cabs.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:27 pm

Vertikal wrote:Who likes... Cult of Luna...

Probably not anyone because they're Artists that you either really like or you really don't, but for me they've had such a huge impact on my life and are the main influence for my Guitar playing moments, Vertikal being my favourite album by them (hence the nic name) and is most probably my all time favourite album. Cult of Luna are most certainly my all time top three favourite bands, the other two being Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin, in no particular order. Johannes Persson [Guitarist/Vocalist] is one of my most favourite singer/song writer/musician/guitarist/artists too.

Also, Cult of Luna are huge fans of Orange amplifiers and cabinets. They always have at least one Orange 4x12 each [three guitarists] and a huge selection of Orange heads. The only head I've not seen them use is the Orange Thunderverb 200, although Johannes loves his Sunn and Traynor amp heads as much as he loves his Orange cabs.
I disagree with you about Cult of Luna. Anyone who knows anything knows that Eternal Kingdom is their best album :mrgreen:

Have you heard Year of No Light? Fantastic band from France. You may dig them if you like CoL.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature