Who likes

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

davebolden44
Rocker

Re: Who likes

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:58 am

kurt was passionate and sometimes when that comes through your music even if its obnoxious it can be a thing of beauty. not everybody gets that. its not dissimilar to Hendrix's tangents, keith moon's outbursts, or morrisons stage antics its just channeled through a different genre of music
fresh outta oranges

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:12 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJGl0FQK9Ew
Watch this if you've got an hour and a half. Then think about what is out there now, since the internet. Think of the way, this three piece put everything together. It's pretty explosive. Kurt really makes it sound big. Grohl is like an amplified Keith Moon and Novoselic keeps it calm.
Last edited by Jondog on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:15 am

I have seen it its bada$$.
fresh outta oranges

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:22 am

It's incredible. Been to alot of shows. Unfortunately never Nirvana. Can't recall anything that intense.

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:24 am

He was a rough guy. Or rather he had a rough soul. No doubt the band certainly changed music for the nineties onward, and while you could argue Pearl Jam or Alice and Chains would have done the same thing if they became mainstream first, that's really Monday morning quarterbacking.
Nirvana had a gritty edge to their billion dollar studio engineering and grimy, tortured lyrics from a grimy, tortured frontman that spoke to and channeled the frustration of a disparaged generation. That sound was brilliantly marketable. Kurt was a messed up dude who didn't value happiness through money and fame like I guess Noel Gallagher does. A messed up childhood can really throw you off kilter, and growing up in Aberdeen/Hoquiam WA has done that to more than a few (seriously, check that place out. I was stationed out there for my last campaign, it's a depressing wasteland). RIP Kurt. He was a depressed guy, and sometimes depressed people off themselves. Shame, too. Seeing what Dave Grohl has made of himself, it would have been very interesting to follow what Kurt would have done with twenty lost years.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:28 am

snickerpuss wrote:He was a rough guy. Or rather he had a rough soul. No doubt the band certainly changed music for the nineties onward, and while you could argue Pearl Jam or Alice and Chains would have done the same thing if they became mainstream first, that's really Monday morning quarterbacking.
Nirvana had a gritty edge to their billion dollar studio engineering and grimy, tortured lyrics from a grimy, tortured frontman that spoke to and channeled the frustration of a disparaged generation. That sound was brilliantly marketable. Kurt was a messed up dude who didn't value happiness through money and fame like I guess Noel Gallagher does. A messed up childhood can really throw you off kilter, and growing up in Aberdeen/Hoquiam WA has done that to more than a few (seriously, check that place out. I was stationed out there for my last campaign, it's a depressing wasteland). RIP Kurt. He was a depressed guy, and sometimes depressed people off themselves. Shame, too. Seeing what Dave Grohl has made of himself, it would have been very interesting to follow what Kurt would have done with twenty lost years.
Don't know if you've seen PJ20, but it's interesting how Pearl Jam included Kurt Cobain in the documentary and how Kurt was an integral part of shaping Pearl Jam. There's also a point that Nirvana didn't go to the mainstream, mainstream came to them.

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:31 am

the best shows ive been to were always at our local dive bars with passing nobody musicians. duncans bar and grill in my hometown catered(before they shut down) to a similar crowd of punk rock rejects. most would think it sounds like a lame time but I will always miss those times
fresh outta oranges

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:35 am

on a side note, im watching the video you posted and I love how bands like this can be heavy and hard hitting without a lame cookie monster vocalist
fresh outta oranges

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:37 am

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:40 am

you know who that other guitarist is don't you?
fresh outta oranges

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:43 am

He actually was a happy guy. Depite what the perception is. I've kept this off the forum, but while it's on topic, I look forward to watching this movie coming out this year, Soaked In Bleach. I always accepted hat he offed himself, even hearing the rumors it was a Conspiracy. But In the past year, reports I've read/heard I'm not so sure. Th.is is interesting,PERIOD. http://soakedinbleach.com/
http://www.cobaincase.com/

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:44 am

davebolden44 wrote:you know who that other guitarist is don't you?
Of course

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:46 am

just wondering most would say that its pat smear from the foo fighters but you and I both know who he is
Last edited by davebolden44 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
fresh outta oranges

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:47 am

davebolden44 wrote:just wondering most would say that its pat smear from the foo fighters but you and I bot know who he is
It's Pap Smear from the Germs

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:07 am

I've been a fan of Nirvana's music since they first appeared, but as I've learned about the members it turns out I'm only a fan of them as musicians. Kurt knew how to put a song together and inject enough emotion that it pulled you right in. The other members knew how to blow up that song so it stuck in your head for a long time. I actually enjoy their non-popular (and often times so rare that there is only a crap recording of it from a live event) stuff much more because I think that music was more about the sound they wanted to get out, which was awesome, and not a "sell-able" label song. Not that I feel that way about many other bands, but their B-sides and rarities were much more fun and creative than most of their Nevermind stuff (which wore out on day 2 for me).

However, the tortured artist thing is done to death and from what I understand Kurt wasn't nearly as tormented as the fans were sold on until the very end. It just sells better that it was the "establishment" that tortured him, and this strange pain in his stomach, and his crazy wife, etc. I know plenty of people who claim that they "don't like to be the center of attention" but then go on stages and perform, act, or play music where all eyes are on them all the time. I think that in itself is a sickness. You don't like it? Then stop signing the contracts.

Anyway, I will always be a Nirvana fan and I'll always look to be inspired by true musicians, but lets just keep it at that. And to the OP, I think that if Kurt had access to an Orange it would be my favorite album.
Orange has that effect on music. :wink: