Re: Who likes

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:11 am

hell yeah germs
fresh outta oranges

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:13 am

wonder if anybody still listens to that stuff 8)
fresh outta oranges

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:30 am

I remember back in the day, guitar stores refused to allow people to play Nirvana if they were testing out a guitar :lol: It really isn't skilled music to play, but it certainly is magical, especially through Kurt. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder like they say.

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:39 am

kurt said that formal lessons and guitar theory stands in the way of creativity so naturally what he would come up with isn't going to be Bach or Paganini
fresh outta oranges

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:44 am

I've recently re-visited alot of Nirvana material. It's definitely not like anything else that is mainstream or popular. Before or after it's time. The magical part is. that I've heard copy-cat type songs/bands and it sounds similar, but isn't the same "depth".

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:58 am

Don't know if you've seen PJ20, but it's interesting how Pearl Jam included Kurt Cobain in the documentary and how Kurt was an integral part of shaping Pearl Jam. There's also a point that Nirvana didn't go to the mainstream, mainstream came to them.
Yup! It's great. I'm of the opinion that Ten is the best album of the nineties. And yes, that's why I said "became mainstream." It's difficult to cater to and emulate a sound that doesn't really exist yet. :lol:
However, the tortured artist thing is done to death and from what I understand Kurt wasn't nearly as tormented as the fans were sold on until the very end. It just sells better that it was the "establishment" that tortured him, and this strange pain in his stomach, and his crazy wife, etc. I know plenty of people who claim that they "don't like to be the center of attention" but then go on stages and perform, act, or play music where all eyes are on them all the time. I think that in itself is a sickness. You don't like it? Then stop signing the contracts.
He had a passion for music. When it comes to technique, he is probably the least skilled guitarist who finds his way on those ridiculous "best guitarists" lists. It's easy to say he pretended to be a tortured artist for the public, but he didn't undergo a bug personality shift when he became famous. He was a drug addict who wrote some pretty disturbing lyrics then shot himself. While not mutually exclusive, those generally point to everything not being spic-and-span upstairs. I'm not saying the public didn't eat up and overblow the whole tortured artist stereotype, but there's probably some merit to why he's their poster boy.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:07 am

I likely have nothing musically in common with people who cannot appreciate Nirvana. They were everything I could ever want from a rock band.

Vertikal
Tiny Terror

Post by Vertikal » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:54 am

I really liked Nirvana, still do. They have that sound I base my tone on but not replicated, if that makes any sense. Kurt was one of those that proved less is more when it came to playing guitar and creating a sound, you see people on Youtube and other places trying to get that Nirvana/Kurt sound by having dozens of Pedals and a complicated rig set up which sort of resembles the sound they're trying to re-create, where a in actual fact it was pretty straight forward. I've gotten pretty close to it using a DS-1, a Fender 25R and a Strat.

I remember reading Oasis'/Gallagher's comments on Nirvana and Kurt in general... They/he just sounded like he was ar$e hurt because lets face it, other than being a bunch of overrated Chavs pretending to be Mods and couldn't play a guitar to save their lives. What have they ever done.

I don't trust people that don't like Nirvana and Led Zeppelin.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Vertikal wrote:I really liked Nirvana, still do. They have that sound I base my tone on but not replicated, if that makes any sense. Kurt was one of those that proved less is more when it came to playing guitar and creating a sound, you see people on Youtube and other places trying to get that Nirvana/Kurt sound by having dozens of Pedals and a complicated rig set up which sort of resembles the sound they're trying to re-create, where a in actual fact it was pretty straight forward. I've gotten pretty close to it using a DS-1, a Fender 25R and a Strat.

I remember reading Oasis'/Gallagher's comments on Nirvana and Kurt in general... They/he just sounded like he was ar$e hurt because lets face it, other than being a bunch of overrated Chavs pretending to be Mods and couldn't play a guitar to save their lives. What have they ever done.

I don't trust people that don't like Nirvana and Led Zeppelin.
A DS-1 with the Ultra seeing eye mod nails it, feedback included.

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:22 pm

This may not be a very popular opinion, but here it is....

Nirvana was the band that ruined alternative music. By no fault of their own, they were chosen by the industry to cash in on a segment of music that the big labels had never been able to crack. The indie scene was huge,unbending, open to do whatever they wanted without interference and not interested in cashing in. Nirvana was a decent band that was part of that sub-pop scene in the pacific northwest, but never what one would consider a "must own" band. But they got a big label deal, went in the studio and came out polished and cleaned up and BOOM! they were the "next big thing" they "created a new sound" they "broke new ground" ...etc But they didn't, they just happened to be "mainstream" enough to make it big, and on their way ruin the independent scene. All the jock d-bags, frat boys ...etc all became "alternative" (which btw is NOT a genre of music, nothing amused me more than seeing an "alternative" section of a music store full of major label music. ALTERNATIVE meant an alternative to radio music, to the big labels, to mainstream crap) all of us who had taken grief for our musical choices/ lifestyle sat and watched as it all got taken from us, dumbed down and Disneyfied. it sucked.

as far as truly "important' bands from that time I think of The Jesus Lizard, Shellac, Melvins, The Butthole Surfers, The Didjits, The Supersuckers, The Minutemen/fIREHOSE and about 25 others I could list here.

When I think of Nirvana, I think of them as a foodie thinks when their favorite tiny cafe hidden by the park get's discovered, bought out and turned into an Applebees.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:56 pm

OR73 wrote:This may not be a very popular opinion, but here it is....

Nirvana was the band that ruined alternative music. By no fault of their own, they were chosen by the industry to cash in on a segment of music that the big labels had never been able to crack. The indie scene was huge,unbending, open to do whatever they wanted without interference and not interested in cashing in. Nirvana was a decent band that was part of that sub-pop scene in the pacific northwest, but never what one would consider a "must own" band. But they got a big label deal, went in the studio and came out polished and cleaned up and BOOM! they were the "next big thing" they "created a new sound" they "broke new ground" ...etc But they didn't, they just happened to be "mainstream" enough to make it big, and on their way ruin the independent scene. All the jock d-bags, frat boys ...etc all became "alternative" (which btw is NOT a genre of music, nothing amused me more than seeing an "alternative" section of a music store full of major label music. ALTERNATIVE meant an alternative to radio music, to the big labels, to mainstream crap) all of us who had taken grief for our musical choices/ lifestyle sat and watched as it all got taken from us, dumbed down and Disneyfied. it sucked.

as far as truly "important' bands from that time I think of The Jesus Lizard, Shellac, Melvins, The Butthole Surfers, The Didjits, The Supersuckers, The Minutemen/fIREHOSE and about 25 others I could list here.

When I think of Nirvana, I think of them as a foodie thinks when their favorite tiny cafe hidden by the park get's discovered, bought out and turned into an Applebees.
That's an excellent rant, and I agree that there is a list of better bands, and there will ALWAYS be a list of "better bands" for each one band that "makes it". Shellac are excellent, btw. One of the best shows I've been to was Shellac!

And true, Nirvana weren't really breaking ground, but they just happened to be the ones to be thrust into the spotlight and made to be this huge god. You can't really blame them for that, they were just playing what they played and it managed to find a mass appeal and they got super recognized for it. And I also have to just say that I do think Nirvana was pretty great. I love them still to this day.

As a fellow "alternative" listener in the sense of the term that you subscribe to, I can see your point. There's so many lesser known bands out there, but that, IMO, doesn't discount the ones that happen to also be good and make it into the more mainstream base.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:13 pm

I'm not blaming Nirvana. I would have taken the money too. My beef is with all the masses and media that act lik they sprang out of the abyss with this 'new sound" that "changed the world" when they didn't. In fact, I think Kurt felt really guilty about it because he knew that they didn't really deserve the accolades they received.

I just think of them as a band who got famous and , as I said not their fault, helped bring about the ruination of independent music as a "thing".
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:22 pm

OR73 wrote:I'm not blaming Nirvana. I would have taken the money too. My beef is with all the masses and media that act lik they sprang out of the abyss with this 'new sound" that "changed the world" when they didn't. In fact, I think Kurt felt really guilty about it because he knew that they didn't really deserve the accolades they received.

I just think of them as a band who got famous and , as I said not their fault, helped bring about the ruination of independent music as a "thing".
Ahh, I misread your post and missed your point! And yes, I would agree with you there!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Vertikal
Tiny Terror

Post by Vertikal » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:45 pm

I think Nirvana were real life, meaning they were just people that were the same as the crowd that turned up to see them play live. They felt the same as the listeners, wore the same clothes on stage as the fans, had feelings, depression, had family, work issues etc., just your average guys playing instruments.

They kept it real... Not like most other bands that wore silly spandex, big hair shaped with a couple of cans of hairspray, shagged endless amounts of groupies while under the influence of drugs and alcohol and still threw bitch fits on and off the stage when they couldn't get their own way... Hardly representative of the real world.

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:58 pm

OR73 wrote:I'm not blaming Nirvana. I would have taken the money too. My beef is with all the masses and media that act lik they sprang out of the abyss with this 'new sound" that "changed the world" when they didn't. In fact, I think Kurt felt really guilty about it because he knew that they didn't really deserve the accolades they received.

Nirvana is actually an interesting case. When Sub Pop signed them, the band and especially Kurt felt obligated and restricted to write dark sludgy stuff to appease the grunge scene on Bleach. Kurt's said in numerous interviews that the Nevermind/In Utero pop sound was much more natural and truthful for him to write than the demo days stuff.

As much as I enjoy shellac, the melvins, screaming trees and all their peers with "thatasound," those warbly chorused verses and loud-ass distorted choruses were a relatively fresh take on the rock scene that heavily influenced the big nineties alternative bands like radiohead, sleater-kinney, pavement, superchunk, incubus, queens of the stone age etc... Pearl Jam's Ten was released before Nevermind, but that album only picked up sales on the coattails of Nirvana's popularity. In fact many, if not all, of the bands you've listed benefited HEAVILY off Nirvana putting alt rock in the spotlight. I really dislike the diction of "ruining independent music as a thing." By "ruining it", do you mean bringing it to the attention of people who listen to non-college radio stations or live across the country and would otherwise have never heard of them because they couldn't tour outside of their region? It sounds like it's "ruined" only for the select few who were able do see the dirt-cheap garage shows and underground music scene before the bands were able to become household names and earn a decent wage for their work. Nirvana's popularity provided an entire genre of music massive touring opportunities, record sales, and uninhibited influence on a generation of songwriters that might have otherwise gone unfulfilled.

Makes me wonder if you'd say the vice versa if Goat had put alt music on the billboards and Nirvana had lived in The Jesus Lizard shadow.

I just think it's odd to knock the success of a band when it put many other culturally less prominent bands on the map. Nirvana did change the music landscape. For the people who weren't in touch with the MTV alt scene, it is likely Nirvana was the first band of that style they heard. I can't think of a better envoy of the genre to modern enthusiasts. Pixies, New Order, Velvet Underground, Fugazi, Meat Puppets? Hell no. I'm glad Nirvana made it and I'm glad they receive recognition for bringing alt rock to the mainstream.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals