Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Marshall 1974x

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:42 am

Eddie Famine wrote:
msmith4432 wrote:
Eddie Famine wrote:Back in my pre Orange days I almost bought a 1974x. I was a Vintage Modern owner looking to down size and was on the Vintage Modern forum and expressed my interest in one . I had tried one at a local shop and liked it a lot. One of the Marshall designers , who's name I forgot, was on the forum and said wait until I tried Class 5. I waited until they got one , didn't like it much, but the store had an OR50 that I tried, liked ,bought , and have had ever since. That wasn't downsizing , I know, but the 1974x IS a nice amp, but once you go Orange, you never go back . At least for me.
ps
Also tried a Rocker 30 that day , also very nice!
So a Marshall designer discourages you from a $2000 hand wired amp and tells you to wait and try their $400 class 5. And then you end up with orange... Don't think he will be getting employee of the year or anything.
Right!
I probably was stressing about the price when he suggested the Class 5. The OR 50 head was a BIT less, but I bought the Orange 2 12 cabinet too, so I went over budget as well as not downsizing.

That's what I call a happy ending. ;)

Eerily similar to how I bought me RV50 & PPC212. I was looking for a combo around the £400 price point, not a head a cab not far off under £1500. Oh, well, I;'ve been happy ever since........ :mrgreen:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Sergeantsnowball
Rocker

Post by Sergeantsnowball » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:25 pm

The 1974's an excellent amp, no doubt, but I can't stand nonmaster-volume amps. I usually play pretty distorted, so having to blast my windows out in order to get a little crunch isn't a consideration. But I always blast my windows out anyway, so I don't know why I'm complaining.

Might not bother you though.
Orange Amps: OR100H, AD30HTC, CR60
Guitars: Gibson Firebird 2013, Obscure Epi Les Paul, Charvel 5FX 1987, LTD Horizon 1001
Non-Orange Amp: Marshall JCM2000

dylan
Orange Master

Post by dylan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:25 pm

Well after much deliberation I ordered a 1974x today! It will arrive on Wednesday so once I'm done blowing out all the windows in the living room I will post my thoughts! On a side note, I was going to order a t-Rex moller 2 but it was getting pretty expensive so I gave it a miss! Does anyone have any experience with this pedal?
~Ian~

Gigady, Gigady, Gigady!

dylan
Orange Master

Post by dylan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:21 am

Well, it arrived yesterday and I have to say the tone is very nice, i can get the volume up to about 6 without breaking too many vases!! The only problem is that the footswitch does not work so I am going to have to wait for them to send a new one, hopefully it won't take too long. I will wait to give my findings on the tone, as I really need to get to grips with this thing, I have only played it for about 2 hours yesterday! I did of course wind it up to 10 but the house shook!! ;-)
~Ian~

Gigady, Gigady, Gigady!

dylan
Orange Master

Post by dylan » Thu May 01, 2014 5:30 pm

Well, this amp has a tone to die for! I have noticed that the Normal channel has a kind of mid hump in the tone, this works really well with a strat bridge pickup (and middle) and the tremolo channel has a flatter eq overall, the neck pickup really shines with a beautiful woody-chimey gleam. The nicest thing about this thing is the fact that you can have the volume at 5 and your guitar volume at 5 also and the amp is just starting to break up at a very friendly living room volume! Sounds amazing! I will try to put up some sound clips to demo the tone but I have no recording equipment so it may be a phone video uploaded to YouTube!
~Ian~

Gigady, Gigady, Gigady!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu May 01, 2014 11:00 pm

That's good to hear that it can break-up a little at reasonable volumes. I suspected it was a really good amp, though I've never played one. The 2061X is a little different circuit, but it is definitely a winner. It doesn't hurt that they look amazing too.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri May 02, 2014 11:38 am

I tried one a while back, really quite liked it too - but the lack of master volume was a complete turn off for me.

Wouldn't really fit the way I play. Nice amp for sure though!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute