NGD - Stratocaster Content

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

myboss57
Orange Master

NGD - Stratocaster Content

Post by myboss57 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Well, I've been in the market for a Tele for a while and went to check out some guitars at a local shop yesterday. Saw this 2001 American Fender Strat sitting there and decided to give it a whirl. Didn't even plug it in, just played it acoustic and it sounded and felt great! Whoever owned it previously beat the hell out of it, it's full of nicks and dings and character, I love the look! I'll be giving it a run at band practice today, so we'll see how she holds up there. It's very different than my SG in both feel and sound!!

Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Re: NGD - Stratocaster Content

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:01 pm

Nice! Looks great. Least you don't have to worry about being really careful with it :D

Does the tremolo work at all. You could always get a replacement block if the threads are shot.
Paul.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks!! Yeah, I like a guitar that is well-used, not a museum piece - something with character!

It didn't have the trem arm with it, and I actually forgot to ask anyways. But I will likely give it a run through today at practice and then drop it off back at the shop I got it from to have it setup (free setup for any guitars bought there) and all for drop D. Might have them take a look at getting a replacement cover put on the back. It does work though!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:00 pm

Nice find! I never liked the back covers. Always took them off. The Eric Johnson strat doesn't even come with one or have screw holes for one. Guess he doesn't like them either.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Nice I dig it . I just put a hot rail in the bridge of my strat.

Sergeantsnowball
Rocker

Post by Sergeantsnowball » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:46 pm

I never was a fan of strats, but I can't deny that it's a thing of beauty. Nice catch!
Orange Amps: OR100H, AD30HTC, CR60
Guitars: Gibson Firebird 2013, Obscure Epi Les Paul, Charvel 5FX 1987, LTD Horizon 1001
Non-Orange Amp: Marshall JCM2000

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:31 am

Looks nice. Needs a P-Rail though. :D

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:57 pm

Well, I will say. I really love the way this guitar feels/looks and it sounds great unplugged (albeit in need of a proper setup as the low E buzzes a little here and there). I played it yesterday at band practice and it cuts through the mix - a little too well. It stands out to a fault and doesn't really sound great in our mix, or hold up to the way my SG fills things out. I'm really surprised, and feel kind of like a dope for just buying it without giving it a go with my amp or anything, but even in a music store you don't really know what you'll get in a band setting.

It doesn't sound bad, it just sounds very much like a Strat and I think I might not like that. It has a lot of bite and spank and clarity, but even with the tone knobs and blending between the pickups with the 5-way selector switch I wasn't able to really dial in a tone that fit.

Yesterday I realized that my Tele/Strat guitar GAS is silly as I love my SG!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:29 pm

Aways found it funny that Strats are so unpopular on this here forum, yet Teles get big .

But then I got a Tele myself, and find it way more different from a Strat than I thought. And yes, it certainly works better for me with some amps. Still do like a good Strat though. I love both in fact, but the point is you shouldn't make the mistake of comparing Strats and Teles - they are surprisingly different animals.

If you are so used to an SG though you'll probably have to re-think your amp EQ a fair bit. Try experimenting with the bass and mids especially, and DO use the guitar's tone control. Give it a fair chance, and do the same when / if you try a Tele. There is usually room for both / all in most players weapons cabinet.

Admittedly I generally prefer single coils to 'buckers. You may just be the other way around. :|

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:56 pm

I love strats. Currently don't own one as I traded the best strat I ever played, the Eric Johnson model, but it was a REALLY good deal that put $1000 in my pocket :( :| :D When you find the right Strat, it's an amazing guitar.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:38 pm

a.hun wrote:Aways found it funny that Strats are so unpopular on this here forum, yet Teles get big .

But then I got a Tele myself, and find it way more different from a Strat than I thought. And yes, it certainly works better for me with some amps. Still do like a good Strat though. I love both in fact, but the point is you shouldn't make the mistake of comparing Strats and Teles - they are surprisingly different animals.

If you are so used to an SG though you'll probably have to re-think your amp EQ a fair bit. Try experimenting with the bass and mids especially, and DO use the guitar's tone control. Give it a fair chance, and do the same when / if you try a Tele. There is usually room for both / all in most players weapons cabinet.

Admittedly I generally prefer single coils to 'buckers. You may just be the other way around. :|

Andy.
Well, you're right and I should not have lumped Teles and Strats together. And also, yeah, I do need to mess with the EQ settings and use the tone controls. I did roll the tone back a little on both the bridge and neck pup and that reigned in the spank a bit. But my amp's EQ controls do not do much when the amp is cranked. I think if I were playing a lower wattage amp (like a 20 or 30 watter) and could get that power tube breakup it'd sound much better for the Strat.

And I do like single coils! I have that P-Rail in my SG and I have it always set to P90, I love that clarity and bite from it, but it maintains a smoothness and a fullness that I wasn't really getting from the Strat's pups.
Jondog wrote:I love strats. Currently don't own one as I traded the best strat I ever played, the Eric Johnson model, but it was a REALLY good deal that put $1000 in my pocket :( :| :D When you find the right Strat, it's an amazing guitar.
Yeah, I think that's true about any guitar, finding the right one is great! I think that is true of my SG!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

dylan
Orange Master

Post by dylan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:18 pm

American standard strats can be a little shrill in the pickup department! I have Kinnman woodstock+ pickups in my American Deluxe strat and they really sing with a growl!
~Ian~

Gigady, Gigady, Gigady!

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:21 pm

dylan wrote:American standard strats can be a little shrill in the pickup department! I have Kinnman woodstock+ pickups in my American Deluxe strat and they really sing with a growl!
Never heard of those pups, will have to check them out. Thanks for the recommendation!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:41 am

I'm in the same boat with Strats. I love how they play, but can't deal with the bright, hollow tones through an amp. I had a double fat Strat that still sounded too harsh/bright, so I figure that the body and neck must have a fair bit to do with it.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:33 pm

I have a CIJ sunburst squire. Was my very first guitar back in the early 80s. I fitted a Seymour Duncan hot rails in it which does fatten the tone up in humbucking mode.
In fact when I fitted that earvana nut to it I was surprised just how much fatter sounding it was than my Ibanez when compared into my Mesa combo.

Think it's the only guitar I've never used for live tho. The Gibson scale length feels more natural to me even tho most of my guitars are fender scale. Must be down to the acoustic I learnt on.
Paul.