Gibson made to measure program

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:06 pm

http://www.themusiczoo.com/blog/2014/cu ... -your-way/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gibson custom shop has a new made to measure where you can build your own guitar. Very cool I think, the gibson reissues IMO are amazing guitars. I have owned 4 and everyone of them has been top notch. Unfortunately I only have 1 now. But I may start saving to make my own now that this is out. It's not a total build but you get quite a few options.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Yaff

Re: Gibson made to measure program

Post by Yaff » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:37 pm

Although it sounds like a nice idea, I think there are so many versions our there that most people will be able to find what they want stock.

I like the plan top and fat neck, so went for a R8. If you want similar but with flame, you can go with an R9. If you like the slim neck, you can have a R0. If you want chambers, you can have a R8C. and so on.

The other issue with ordering a specific guitar, when you get it in your hand, it may not sound or feel the way you thought , but I think you would still need to buy it, if the spec was as requested.

For me, sticking with stock and having the opportunity to play several examples to find the best one for you, is the best way. You can always charge the hardware, plastics and electronics later, but with the knowledge that the tone and feel is right.

Thanks for sharing !
Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:59 pm

Yaff wrote:Although it sounds like a nice idea, I think there are so many versions our there that most people will be able to find what they want stock.

I like the plan top and fat neck, so went for a R8. If you want similar but with flame, you can go with an R9. If you like the slim neck, you can have a R0. If you want chambers, you can have a R8C. and so on.

The other issue with ordering a specific guitar, when you get it in your hand, it may not sound or feel the way you thought , but I think you would still need to buy it, if the spec was as requested.

For me, sticking with stock and having the opportunity to play several examples to find the best one for you, is the best way. You can always charge the hardware, plastics and electronics later, but with the knowledge that the tone and feel is right.

Thanks for sharing !
That was kind of my first thought but I actually think it will be quite useful. For instance what if you want a 58 bourbon burst but don't want vos finish you want gloss. Until this you didn't have that option. I would be hesitant to change the stock neck, but I love having color and finish options. Also it would be cool to add a bigsby, or if you want a 56 but like be already have a gold top and would like a differen color. I think it is a pretty cool program
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:10 pm

It's great if you want specific finishes and hardware options. I love the idea of a heavily aged SG with aged nickel in TV Yellow. But I'd have liked to see added the option of a '59 Les Paul (the doublecut) or some Junior options as well. I know that is asking a lot and I'm sure these made to order Gibbies are pretty well-priced.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:23 pm

myboss57 wrote:It's great if you want specific finishes and hardware options. I love the idea of a heavily aged SG with aged nickel in TV Yellow. But I'd have liked to see added the option of a '59 Les Paul (the doublecut) or some Junior options as well. I know that is asking a lot and I'm sure these made to order Gibbies are pretty well-priced.

It depends, most of them will not be much more than the stock models. Sweetwater has some made to measure in stock now. Of course the additional options were at the request of sweetwater and not an individual but they are priced anywhere from $100 more up to about $700 more
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

Vertikal
Tiny Terror

Post by Vertikal » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:29 pm

Hmmm... Gibson already charge an absolute fortune for their top end models, Custom, CC Series et al. and they're not even specific to the customer, and to be brutally honest, don't justify the cost for a manufacturer that is Corporate these days.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll just stick to a proper Custom Guitar from someone like Ben Crowe at Crimson Guitars and come in at a much better price, and dare I say better built too.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:53 pm

Vertikal wrote:Hmmm... Gibson already charge an absolute fortune for their top end models, Custom, CC Series et al. and they're not even specific to the customer, and to be brutally honest, don't justify the cost for a manufacturer that is Corporate these days.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll just stick to a proper Custom Guitar from someone like Ben Crowe at Crimson Guitars and come in at a much better price, and dare I say better built too.
No disrespect to your favorite custom maker but I highly doubt they are better quality guitars. The Gibson historic line is top notch
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

Vertikal
Tiny Terror

Post by Vertikal » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:17 pm

I'm sure they are top notch. But that doesn't justify the price they come with. £6,000 to £9,000+ for a CC Les Paul?... Sorry but... As I said earlier. I'd rather spend much, much less on something from the likes of Crimson Guitars that use much more exotic woods for starters and actually build it to your exact specifications. Regarding build quality, they're just as well built as any other.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gibson and I especially love the Les Paul. But they're not worth some of the prices they come with. Just my opinion.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:26 am

I took a tour with a friend who works in the gibson factory in nashville, I was absolutely surprised at how much human handwork still goes into these guitars especially the non-custom shop models. It made me rethink how much I think a Gibson guitar is worth. I also like the Made in USA part, and that they are made in my home state of TN, and what they have meant to rock-n-roll history. I think these options are a great idea from a great american company.

I would want a a custom shop historic SG with the oversized headstock found on the 61 reissue...in gloss finish with 57's rather than the BB's and the VOS treatment and the smaller 62 SG headstock....in Heritage Cherry of course.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:01 am

I like this idea, having options isn't a bad thing as long as it's affordable.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:53 am

Vertikal wrote:I'm sure they are top notch. But that doesn't justify the price they come with. £6,000 to £9,000+ for a CC Les Paul?... Sorry but... As I said earlier. I'd rather spend much, much less on something from the likes of Crimson Guitars that use much more exotic woods for starters and actually build it to your exact specifications. Regarding build quality, they're just as well built as any other.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gibson and I especially love the Les Paul. But they're not worth some of the prices they come with. Just my opinion.

Point taken, everyone has their preference and opinion. They must spike quite significantly to go overseas. In the states the 59 is the highest price tag at $6200usd, which would be right at 4500 euro. Th 57s and 58s are $4500usd hitch would come in under 3500 euro
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:13 am

I've always wondered why it was called the "Custom Shop" since you have to buy it the way they design it. It's more of a "Handbuilt Reissue Shop", but I digest...

If you are willing to pay, Gibson should be willing to make whatever you want just like the small boutique builders. I would like a one-piece Mahogany Doublecut LP Special in Worn Sky Blue with a one-piece Rosewood neck, for example. It's going to need a bulge contour cut out of the back too.

Orren

Post by Orren » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:57 am

I realize this probably doesn't affect too many here, but for the sake of my fellow southpaws let me say I was happy to read that *all* the available models can be ordered left-handed. It's pricey, but any time lefties aren't kept out of the party is welcome.

Orren
New novel: Skye Entity
http://emberafter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://orrenmerton.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:14 am

Randy Bass wrote:It's going to need a bulge contour cut out of the back too.

:shock: ...Dude just don't sling the guitar so low...keep it up above the belt-line, that should solve that issue! :lol:

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:47 am

I think this is a great program.. its probably just not for me.

I just couldn't think of buying a guitar sight unseen.. Taking a browse through the R9's on Ebay and there are none that are visually compelling.

Now, of course, instead of making a few hundred in the studio was I making tens of thousands of dollars gigging and just wanted a great sounding LP then that's different...lol
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***