Anyone using the Ep booster with Orange amps?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Anyone using the Ep booster with Orange amps?

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:06 am

Hello, does the EP Booster work well with Orange amps, particularly the RD 50? Users what do you think? Worth buying? Cheers
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Anyone using the Ep booster with Orange amps?

Post by Jondog » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:33 am

I love mine. Use it as an alwaus on pedal at unity gain.

Mark66

Post by Mark66 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:18 am

Love mine too. I've been leaving mine on as well of late. It gives someting else as well as a boost, hard to pin point what it is but it sounds great. I'm using it through a TH30 and a 4x10 cab.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:48 am

It maintains the amps tone and character perfectly and enhances the dynamic response. Doesn't "color" the tone, it polishes it.

joeminer
Tiny Terror

Post by joeminer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:08 pm

I use mine as an "always on" pedal at the end of my chain with my AD-30 and TT. I have a different boost up front w/ the OD's.
Orange AD30htc
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC212
Orange PPC112
Gibson LP Standard (Double Cut)
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Taylor 314ce
Little Martin
Lots of Pedals

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:30 pm

Another happy EP boost user here. Works great with my OR 50. Mostly use it as I clean boost, occasionally for rhythm if I want to tighten it up some. Great value, you can't go wrong. My go to pedal for solos.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:12 pm

Eddie Famine wrote:Another happy EP boost user here. Works great with my OR 50. Mostly use it as I clean boost, occasionally for rhythm if I want to tighten it up some. Great value, you can't go wrong. My go to pedal for solos.
Same as above.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:18 pm

I use a Mooer Pure Boost with my OR15 and it is excellent. Very transparent if you want, but can also colour if you play with the bass and treble knobs. Thought I'd share that, even if it is not the EP booster.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Man1ak wrote:I use a Mooer Pure Boost with my OR15 and it is excellent. Very transparent if you want, but can also colour if you play with the bass and treble knobs. Thought I'd share that, even if it is not the EP booster.
Was checking that pedal out the other day. It's a clone of the Xotic RC booster. If I din't already have an RC I'd definitely get that one. Sounds almost the same.

Puckhog

Post by Puckhog » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Mark66 wrote: . . . It gives someting else as well as a boost, hard to pin point what it is but it sounds great.
Another fan of the EP Boost here and I share these same thoughts. I've got the RC and the EP both, and I much prefer the latter. It adds a really nice thickness or 'fatness' to the tone that's hard to replicate with any other boost. I bought it with the intention of using it primarily with single coils on a low-powered (EL84) head, but its slowly become an 'always-on' fixture over the years, regardless of what amp or guitar I'm now playing. Its a simple and unassuming little one-trick pony, but its well worth having.

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:35 pm

It's great but the bass/mid boost it gives with the treble switch down doesn't really translate in a rock environment with decent gain. It gets lost, so I cut it out if my chain. The treble boost switch up is too much for my telecasters.
Last edited by Spaceboy1 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:47 pm

I decided to try it out about a year ago due to all the hype.

At the time I also had an RC booster, and a Wamper Euphoria OD. In the end I found the two Xotic pedals not quite transparent enough. I could hear this strange digital sound that both pedals added. I might be crazy, but there was defiantly something funky going on.

Anyhow, I only have the Wampler now.

That being said, I still have a Xotic Bass BB Preamp. It sounds epic on my practice amp, but I got a new bass amp yesterday and I'm not really liking how it muddies up the signal. I always run it at 0 gain, just to add a little bit of grit. Thinking I might be looking for an alternative shortly.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:I decided to try it out about a year ago due to all the hype.

At the time I also had an RC booster, and a Wamper Euphoria OD. In the end I found the two Xotic pedals not quite transparent enough. I could hear this strange digital sound that both pedals added. I might be crazy, but there was defiantly something funky going on.

Anyhow, I only have the Wampler now.

That being said, I still have a Xotic Bass BB Preamp. It sounds epic on my practice amp, but I got a new bass amp yesterday and I'm not really liking how it muddies up the signal. I always run it at 0 gain, just to add a little bit of grit. Thinking I might be looking for an alternative shortly.
Thats very odd that you heard a "digital" sound. Had to be something else. Especially when there is nothing digital in the pedal. I think of all the pedals I've ever owned, the Xotics have been the most transparent.

Puckhog

Post by Puckhog » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Boy_Narf wrote: . . . At the time I also had an RC booster, and a Wamper Euphoria OD. In the end I found the two Xotic pedals not quite transparent enough. I could hear this strange digital sound that both pedals added. I might be crazy, but there was defiantly something funky going on.
Yeah, I agree, that is pretty strange. My RC Booster is a tad noisy, but not the EP - its dead quiet and as transparent as can be. And as far as anything "digital" going on, its probably the 2nd most analog sounding pedal I own, just behind my Maxon AD-900 analog delay. I suspect that Jondog is right - either the EP itself was defective somehow or something else was going-on in the signal chain.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:08 pm

I think the success of using a boost depends on how much gain you are running in the first place. If you are planning on boosting something like a Rockerverb dirty channel starting from an already high gain setting it probably won't work so hot.

I've had great results using my EP booster in an old type Marshall but bad results paired up with a Mesa single rectifier.

It's worth noting too that there are two versions of the EP booster. The dip switch functions changed from a certain serial number onwards. I think mine is the original and I currently have mine set in the 'vintage' mode IIRC.
Paul.