Anyone using the Ep booster with Orange amps?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Anyone using the Ep booster with Orange amps?

Post by Jondog » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:23 am

Yes, the EP booster works well with Orange amps.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:58 pm

OrangePaul wrote: I've had great results using my EP booster in an old type Marshall but bad results paired up with a Mesa single rectifier.
Jondog wrote:Yes, the EP booster works well with Orange amps.
Your veiled side swipe at Mesa amplification doesn't fool me Mr Jondog :D

FWIW with my OR120 I was hoping for it to do more... squash the sound a bit more driving the front of the amp, but it didn't. I'm sure in a cranked live setting it would slay though.
Paul.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:44 pm

Allow me to clarify. When I said "something funky" I meant some odd business in the mid range. The lack of a mid knob on the RC is what ruined it for me. I found that I could get it really really close to being transparent, but the mids were never quite right. I find it is difficult to tell what a pedal does to your clean clean channel, so my ultimate test is to do my best to achieve transparency under higher gain settings.

Regarding the EP booster, I used it for a while, but was always missing that separate gain knob. It was either too little gain, or too much of a volume boost for me. It also didn't really tighten up the gain channel like I wanted it to. As a pure clean boost it worked well.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:17 am

OrangePaul wrote:
OrangePaul wrote: I've had great results using my EP booster in an old type Marshall but bad results paired up with a Mesa single rectifier.
Jondog wrote:Yes, the EP booster works well with Orange amps.
Your veiled side swipe at Mesa amplification doesn't fool me Mr Jondog :D

FWIW with my OR120 I was hoping for it to do more... squash the sound a bit more driving the front of the amp, but it didn't. I'm sure in a cranked live setting it would slay though.
Nah. I dont have anything against Mesa in general, like a few of their amps actually. My post was more directing towards the op's original question. Topic is going of the rails.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:21 am

Boy_Narf wrote:Allow me to clarify. When I said "something funky" I meant some odd business in the mid range. The lack of a mid knob on the RC is what ruined it for me. I found that I could get it really really close to being transparent, but the mids were never quite right. I find it is difficult to tell what a pedal does to your clean clean channel, so my ultimate test is to do my best to achieve transparency under higher gain settings.

Regarding the EP booster, I used it for a while, but was always missing that separate gain knob. It was either too little gain, or too much of a volume boost for me. It also didn't really tighten up the gain channel like I wanted it to. As a pure clean boost it worked well.
The treble and bass knobs are boost and cut. Between the AC, RC and BB, they are all voiced differently. When I say transparent, I mean in relation to the guitar and pickups.

plarkin

Post by plarkin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:48 am

Has anyone done a comparison between the EP and an MXR micro-amp? I happen to have one but haven't yet tried it with my Oranges.

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:25 am

plarkin wrote:Has anyone done a comparison between the EP and an MXR micro-amp? I happen to have one but haven't yet tried it with my Oranges.
They are completely different. The Micro-Amp is fairly transparent simply boosts signal, which can translate as volume or a fatter signal feeding into something else. The EP has more of an EQ change happening. The people who have called in transparent are incorrect, it's a pedal that does a clean boost with an emphasis on low mids and some bass frequencies. This is whys it's especially popular among single coil players to get a fatter sounding tone, even at low boost settings. If you want that EQ change, the EP is the answer. If you want a clear and clean signal boost, you want the Micro Amp.

plarkin

Post by plarkin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:26 am

Spaceboy1 wrote:
plarkin wrote:Has anyone done a comparison between the EP and an MXR micro-amp? I happen to have one but haven't yet tried it with my Oranges.
They are completely different. The Micro-Amp is fairly transparent simply boosts signal, which can translate as volume or a fatter signal feeding into something else. The EP has more of an EQ change happening. The people who have called in transparent are incorrect, it's a pedal that does a clean boost with an emphasis on low mids and some bass frequencies. This is whys it's especially popular among single coil players to get a fatter sounding tone, even at low boost settings. If you want that EQ change, the EP is the answer. If you want a clear and clean signal boost, you want the Micro Amp.
Thanks for that!

Puckhog

Post by Puckhog » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:08 pm

plarkin wrote:
Spaceboy1 wrote:
The EP has more of an EQ change happening. The people who have called in transparent are incorrect . . .
Thanks for that!
Plarkin is right. I'm one of those who loosely (and wrongly) characterized the EP Booster as "transparent". Its really not. It adds some noticeable low-end fatness and texture, just as he and I both described, and he's spot-on about its use for single coils, but he's also correct in saying that strictly speaking, its is not perfectly "transparent". My bad.

NiteGoat

Post by NiteGoat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:17 am

Mark66 wrote:
Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:18 am
Love mine too. I've been leaving mine on as well of late. It gives someting else as well as a boost, hard to pin point what it is but it sounds great. I'm using it through a TH30 and a 4x10 cab.
Do you run your EP Booster in front of your TH30, or in the FX loop?
How do you know where I'm at, if you haven't been where I've been?
Understand where I'm coming from?

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:56 am

I've used an EP booster for years going through the front on the amp previous used the Microamp. The EP booster is excellent works really well it does add gain and some treble in its standard setting but has internal switches which can be pressed so it just acts as a boost. It can be set low to add treble to an amp and some sweetness to an amp which can be useful or set higher to act as a boost.Id highly recommend it with Orange amps.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 am

NiteGoat wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:17 am
Mark66 wrote:
Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:18 am
Love mine too. I've been leaving mine on as well of late. It gives someting else as well as a boost, hard to pin point what it is but it sounds great. I'm using it through a TH30 and a 4x10 cab.
Do you run your EP Booster in front of your TH30, or in the FX loop?
I have an EP Booster that I only use with my Orange AD30TC when I'm using a Strat.

As far as your question, the EP is an Echoplex preamp circuit and Echoplexes were designed to go into the front of the amp.... I used to use an Echoplex into my Marshalls back in the day and it sounded great with a Strat.

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:33 pm

I use one at the front end. I think I might try it in the FX loop sometime. I'd rather it just increase the volume for leads w/o pushing more gain into the amp the way it does in the front.