Advice Please. New Cab Time, baby

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Advice Please. New Cab Time, baby

Post by snickerpuss » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:29 am

Gots me a bonus, this month. Heheh, Y'all know what means. Timing is impeccable, as I've birthday gifted away my Orange 212OB and have resorted to using the Marshall Jubilee combo as my cabinet for gigs. Looks stupid, real stupid, but I kinda like it. Same V30s and less efficient so I have to crank the amp a little harder giving me a little more of that juicy squelch to the tone.

My choices are another tried and trusted PPC212OB or an avatar 212 signature. I've played and recorded with a few avatars before and have been impressed. The avatar has a myriad of options and customization with it (guess what color I'ma have my tolex and grill...) including the closed backplate conversion piece for a trifle amount.

With the options, I'm currently leaning toward the avatar. The customization is a plus and it lines up with my philosophy of preferring to help the little guys when I can. Also, the idea of going full retard and swapping out the backplate to the closed, throwing the jubilee on top and running the or100 through the wonkiest 212cb+212ob ever teeter-totters the awesome/stupid line I find myself riding, these days.

I certainly would not claim myself to be an expert in guitars, amps, or effects, but I have oodles more experience in all those categories than I do cabs. Anyone have experience with both or wants to recommend some other options?

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/Signature%20212.htm
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

myboss57
Orange Master

Re: Advice Please. New Cab Time, baby

Post by myboss57 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:50 am

Well, there are certainly a lot of options out there, and you won't go wrong with either an Orange or Avatar cab. Never owned an Avatar but I've heard nothing but positive things about them and the build quality you get seems to be on par with an Orange or other similar cabs. Another suggestion from a small cab company is Whitebox (http://www.whiteboxeng.com/modern-212/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), they've been mentioned on this forum in the past and people seem stoked on them.

I mean, if you know that Avatar is great (and you said you've been impressed from what you played in the past) then I think you should go Avatar. Doesn't sound like you'll go wrong, imo.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:25 pm

I just got an avatar cab the other day. It was sitting in my local pawn shop for months and I decided to ask about it and the guy said it was loaded with scumback m75s and he wanted only 300bucks for it with a randall solid state head. didn't really want the head but his offer was final so I snagged it up and sold the head right away lol. I took it apart to see if his claims about the scumbacks were true and sure enough they were. I am a carpenter by trade and from my viewpoint aside from not dovetailing the corners I would say that these cabinets are of very high build quality. plus for the price new with the speaker options you cant beat em! however, I think if you got the avatar orange leathery texture tolex with your orange basket weave tolex on your OR with a slight color mismatch that would always drive me nuts,(just my opinion fwiw). I am very happy that I found mine in black, sounds fantastic too!
Last edited by davebolden44 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fresh outta oranges

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Build one!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:54 am

I really like the look of Whitebox cabs (especially with white tolex) and they seem to be well-made. I don't think I could pair-up an OR100 with a non-Orange cab though. Pics-Only Oranges are extra-Orangey and don't look right on top of anything else.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:41 am

After giving it more thought, I've realized that your only option is to put the OR100 atop two Orange PA columns for the full-on Stonehenge look. Then put your Jubilee combo on top of the OR100.

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:45 am

After giving it more thought, I've realized that your only option is to put the OR100 atop two Orange PA columns for the full-on Stonehenge look. Then put your Jubilee combo on top of the OR100.
Nightmares, tonight, I see.
I really like the look of Whitebox cabs (especially with white tolex) and they seem to be well-made. I don't think I could pair-up an OR100 with a non-Orange cab though. Pics-Only Oranges are extra-Orangey and don't look right on top of anything else.
however, I think if you got the avatar orange leathery texture tolex with your orange basket weave tolex on your OR with a slight color mismatch that would always drive me nuts,(
Haha, Gots to keep the aesthetic. If the orange cab doesn't quite match what are some other colors that look nice with a starkly orange head? I'll bet purple or royal blue could be groovy and fit my eclectic playing. Haha
Teles, Strat, SG
Pedalspedalspedals

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:17 am

Randy Bass wrote:After giving it more thought, I've realized that your only option is to put the OR100 atop two Orange PA columns for the full-on Stonehenge look. Then put your Jubilee combo on top of the OR100.
yes!

My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:35 am

If the orange cab doesn't quite match what are some other colors that look nice with a starkly orange head?
All I'm saying is a slight mismatch is a hell of a lot worse than a complete mismatch. Black and white are neutral and go with everything, a slightly different orange will always have a generic look, if you want them to match I would go with orange brand. I think that my OR on this all black cab looks badass but hey that's just me. If you look at the tolex samples on avatar websight you can see its kinda lighter and different texture, there again, my opinion fwiw. Perhaps somebody has tried this combination with some success and I'm full of crap again.
fresh outta oranges

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:50 am

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/8474/dcam2450rx7.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maybe I'm wrong this doesn't look bad at all

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/ ... ange-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this one has a slight mismatch perhaps more noticeable in person but based on the logo is older.
fresh outta oranges

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:12 am

Yeah, looks like Avatar can match the color pretty well to the Orange tolex. I'm of the camp that a mis-match of colors ain't the end of the world. I loved the way my orange Orange OD120 looked on top of my black Mesa cab. And I think a deep blue would suit the orange color nicely too.

But best options would be to stick with black or white tolex, if not the orange.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:43 am

I'll give em a call. I bet they try their dardest to match the legit orange tolex. Something tells me there is a reason orange is available as a tolex color for their cabs... I mean, what else are they going to use to compare it to, right? What amplifier are customers going to put on top of their orange cabinets, C'MON!?
Teles, Strat, SG
Pedalspedalspedals

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:09 am

here's your answer
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?p=248194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fresh outta oranges

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:31 pm

Randy Bass wrote:After giving it more thought, I've realized that your only option is to put the OR100 atop two Orange PA columns for the full-on Stonehenge look. Then put your Jubilee combo on top of the OR100.

That is bound to get all pagan ladies throwing their pants at the stage. With a little luck, some might still be in them. ;)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:01 pm

snickerpuss wrote:I'll give em a call. I bet they try their dardest to match the legit orange tolex. Something tells me there is a reason orange is available as a tolex color for their cabs... I mean, what else are they going to use to compare it to, right? What amplifier are customers going to put on top of their orange cabinets, C'MON!?
Im not sure about their orange color but I have a whet grill with a black cab and it looks good with my orange. I have an avatar 2x12ob and an orange 2x12cb and personally I prefer the Avatar cab, but that could just be an open back closed back preference. But I would go with avatar, you get to choose the speakers and for me thats big, since i don't love v30s
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos