"I regret I sold this..."

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ade
Orange Hero

Re: "I regret I sold this..."

Post by Ade » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:06 pm

1964 Fender Jazzmaster. Bought in 1993 with the proceeds of my first real job. Sold in 1997 when I needed the cash. I'm embarrassed to say I have a few other vintage items I purchased since then that are in storage because even though I don't play them much anymore, the effect of selling that Jazzmaster makes me very reluctant to let anything else go. :oops:

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:23 am

I sold a perfect playing/soiunding Gibson Nighthawk to to buy a plane ticket to visit my girlfriend in Germany. She had cheated on me with an african guy named Prince by the time I got there.

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:48 am

I sold my Tele (first real electric guitar). It wasn't fancy or expensive but I had written so many songs on it and miss her sound a lot + I had totally customized her :cry:

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:07 am

Wendigo wrote:I sold a perfect playing/soiunding Gibson Nighthawk to to buy a plane ticket to visit my girlfriend in Germany. She had cheated on me with an african guy named Prince by the time I got there.
She should pay for a new one... :evil:

How did she put it? "I fuc*ed Prince..." :mrgreen:
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Bensnake wrote:
Wendigo wrote:I sold a perfect playing/soiunding Gibson Nighthawk to to buy a plane ticket to visit my girlfriend in Germany. She had cheated on me with an african guy named Prince by the time I got there.

I found out from him after he had dropped her, ie. he wanted to give her trouble after he got what he wanted.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:01 pm

I hope he made you some pancakes.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:01 pm

Wendigo wrote:
Bensnake wrote:

I found out from him after he had dropped her, ie. he wanted to give her trouble after he got what he wanted.

That's a truly horrid story!!!

-----------

I've been lucky enough so far. I'm pretty frugal with gear purchases - I just under 20 years, I have only bought 6 guitars, sold the only carp one off, and gave my classical guitar to my niece.

Same thing with amps, bought 7, the 3 solid states have gone, the AD5 has been replaced by the AD15, the RV50 is staying forever. The dsl40 is long gone, nice profit to boot. :D

I have no regrets. 8)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:27 pm

Puckhog wrote:Mmmmm, I hate to see folks jump too quickly on the EMG's. Their humbuckers may not get much love, but Gilmour, Knopfler and Vince Gill have all made perfectly good use of their active single coils (S/SA) over the years. In fact, some of Vince Gill's finest works (IMHO) were done with EMG's, and it must have gotten Mark Knopfler's attention too, because Vince was apparently invited to join Dire Straits back in the day. Rumor has it anyway.

I think I'd be more inclined to focus on the specific 'model' of EMG pickup (particularly their humbuckers), rather than the EMG brand as a whole. 'Jus sayin'.
Agreed. Not all EMGs sound like EMGs! I fitted their JV ('Vintage Jazz') bass set to an inexpensive 'J' copy and it is now one of the best (vintage!) sounding basses I've ever played.

My only real gear regret was selling my original Aria 'J' copy. If I still had it I'd have fitted the EMGs to it instead! :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:25 am

I've only sold two guitars, a Taylor big baby acoustic that sounded fantastic, but I never picked her up as I didnt feel comfortable playing her and the other was a POS Dean ML '79 reissue that I bought in a sale when I decided I was going to learn to play guitar and I didn't want to spend too much money. Now not my style and to be honest it didn't sound 'that' bad but I know 10 years down the line I'll be wanting to have a strum on my first proper guitar! But then I put the money I got for her towards a Telecaster, sod it....no regrets :lol:
Gear: Kurt Cobain Jaguar, Kurt Cobain Mustang, American Std Tele ('10 3burst), Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange OR15, Orange Tiny Terror HW, Vox Night Train NT15H, Marshall JCM-1H, PPC112 Cab & a Marshall Custom Pin-Up

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:49 am

a.hun wrote:Agreed. Not all EMGs sound like EMGs!
:lol: That statement really says something about the brand...
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Sergeantsnowball
Rocker

Post by Sergeantsnowball » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:08 am

Figured it would be relevant to put in this thread that I sold my AC30 yesterday, after about 7 years of faithful service. I never gigged with it, or even played it at home, so I hope it serves its new owner as well as it did me.

The Marshall would be next on my list since I can hardly stand the way it sounds, but it was a parting gift from my deceased brother- I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to get rid of it simply due to sentimental value.
Orange Amps: OR100H, AD30HTC, CR60
Guitars: Gibson Firebird 2013, Obscure Epi Les Paul, Charvel 5FX 1987, LTD Horizon 1001
Non-Orange Amp: Marshall JCM2000

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:12 pm

Bensnake wrote:
a.hun wrote:Agreed. Not all EMGs sound like EMGs!
:lol: That statement really says something about the brand...
:lol:

Yep, guess there might be a hint of irony somewhere in there. Makes the point though!

'Traditional EMGs' then? As opposed to 'traditional sounding'?

Seriously though, the JV set is one of the best kept secrets in 'Bassland' IMO. They've also been around for 20 odd years now - which probably says something too!

Andy. ('Vintage EMG' fan! :P)
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Wish I still had an AD15. Wasn't practical to bring it over to the US with me.
I think I may start looking for one over here (or maybe I'll get sidetracked and end up with a Dr Z Monza instead).
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:15 pm

Sergeantsnowball wrote:Figured it would be relevant to put in this thread that I sold my AC30 yesterday, after about 7 years of faithful service. I never gigged with it, or even played it at home, so I hope it serves its new owner as well as it did me.
I sold my Vox AC30TBX recently. I'd been chasing an AC30 for years and chose to go with a second hand Korg TBX over the then newer Chinese ones. It was a great amp but was just way too loud for any practical application I could put it to. I loved the tone of the Blues, especially when cranked, but boy they were hard on my hearing. I finally let it go to new home. I lost money on that one, one of the few things I ever have, but despite that, I can't say I regret selling it. Sometimes you just have to own and play a piece of gear (especially the iconic and mythologised) to appreciate that it's just not going to work for you.

Now if I could only bring myself to start thinning out that cupboard of pedals...

Ade

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:22 pm

Bink wrote:Wish I still had an AD15.
I gave the AD50 a rest and cranked the AD15 the other day. Yeah, I won't be letting mine go anytime soon. (Especially since Orange in their wisdom essentially replaced it with the Tiny Terror, and then to add insult to injury, the Tiny Terror combo! :shock: )

Ade
Last edited by Ade on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.