Video, rough mix of new song

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

myboss57
Orange Master

Video, rough mix of new song

Post by myboss57 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Hey guys! So we did some recording last weekend, here is a rough mix of one of the songs we did. I had my GoPro and used that to capture all the video. I'm using my Sovtek Mig through my Mesa. And of course, my SG. We didn't get any video of us doing the vocals, but it's me and the bassist (mostly me throughout) doing the vocals. I am not a video editor, so I just put this together using iMovie on Mac and uploaded it to Youtube.

http://youtu.be/UcIQ3yKVzGw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might not be everyone's cup-o-tea, but enjoy!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Video, rough mix of new song

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:30 pm

I really like the guitar in particular. Your MIG sounds really nice - punchy and articulate.

I must say the voice recording is a bit of a turn off for me - not sure if you usually scream like that when singing ad I'm sure some like it, but I didn't particularily like that voice recording.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks! Yeah, I'm very happy with the way the Mig recorded, and where it sits in the live mix too. It definitely cuts through and is articulate (luckily it still somewhat hides my shoddy playing at times!).

And fair enough on the vocals, I know it's not for everybody! And we might be re-recording them too, as there will be some lyrical tweaks and also some vocal placement tweaks.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:53 pm

Good stuff! Not at all what I was expecting!

Reminds me big time of the band "Pianos Become The Teeth". Keep it up!

My only criticism is around 2 mins, there is a guitar break (nice chords btw). The drummer plays the same thing which he plays at the start, Seems like a little to repetitive, that the majority of the song uses this. It would be cool to hear a Simpler half time groove towards the end. Change it up a bit.

Other than that EPIC! If we lived in the same city I would be at every show! Keep the tracks coming. It's rare to find modern bands that throwback to the golden "hopesfall" days of hardcore.

Do you have any more demos?

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:Good stuff! Not at all what I was expecting!

Reminds me big time of the band "Pianos Become The Teeth". Keep it up!

My only criticism is around 2 mins, there is a guitar break (nice chords btw). The drummer plays the same thing which he plays at the start, Seems like a little to repetitive, that the majority of the song uses this. It would be cool to hear a Simpler half time groove towards the end. Change it up a bit.

Other than that EPIC! If we lived in the same city I would be at every show! Keep the tracks coming. It's rare to find modern bands that throwback to the golden "hopesfall" days of hardcore.

Do you have any more demos?
Whoa, thanks a lot!! Pianos are a fellow Baltimore band, so that means a lot!! And I absolutely love them, so I'm sure there's some inspiration coming through there.

And thanks for the criticism as well, I do agree that it gets a little repetitive there, so that's something to consider - I love getting an outside viewpoint of the songs.

We definitely love the 90s hardcore stuff, so I'm glad that shows too! And the only other recordings we have are on our bandcamp (my sig has the link in it) and there are some vids of us live here: https://www.youtube.com/user/thebarthouse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Guitar does sound very nice... warmer and fuller than I remember on your last recording.

If i was choosing between Michael Bolton and yourself Myke for a vocalist i think you'd win the audition :wink:
Paul.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:51 pm

OrangePaul wrote:Guitar does sound very nice... warmer and fuller than I remember on your last recording.

If i was choosing between Michael Bolton and yourself Myke for a vocalist i think you'd win the audition :wink:
Thanks! And I'll take the vocal opinion as a compliment! :lol:
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:44 pm

I really like the song/style and the guitar tones. I'm another square who doesn't love the vocals, but really liked everything else. If the vocals were a little closer to the dynamic stuff Chino does with the Deftones, I'd go apeshit for the whole thing. :D

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:30 am

If I could sing like Chino I would!! But thanks! And yeah, I know that kind of vocal is not everyone's ideal, but I'm glad you dig the music still!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:33 pm

myboss57 wrote:
OrangePaul wrote:Guitar does sound very nice... warmer and fuller than I remember on your last recording.

Thanks! And I'll take the vocal opinion as a compliment! :lol:
As intended Myke :oops:

Video looks cool too, the outdoor clips in particular seem to work great with that GoPro. I guess that's down to lighting though..
Paul.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:55 pm

:lol:
Yeah, some of the definition was lost between iMovie, some filters I added for fun, and the upload to Youtube, but I'm stoked on the GoPro. It really does well for outdoor action!

Also, our last recording, I didn't have the Audix i5 mic for my guitar cab (just used a basic cheap-o mic for it) and I think that's why my Orange didn't come through as well. That Audix difference is really night and day!! It's amazing what a decent mic will do!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412