Orange sighting

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

joeminer
Tiny Terror

Orange sighting

Post by joeminer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:01 am

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/2 ... -the-sword" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Appearantly Orange amps have too many knobs for the second guitarist. :lol: There is something intriguing about a one knob amp though. I'm not sure I understood what the guitar tech was talking about the speaker cabs. Something about the tolex color and wattage... Sounded suspicious :?
Orange AD30htc
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC212
Orange PPC112
Gibson LP Standard (Double Cut)
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Taylor 314ce
Little Martin
Lots of Pedals

Dave666
Orange Hero

Re: Orange sighting

Post by Dave666 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:28 am

That was a cool video. I was surprised J.D. uses a Bogner pedal for his overdrive tones!
Orange Rocker30C loaded with a Creamback 65
Zilla Super Fatboy 2x12 loaded with Creamnback 65's
Gibson Flying-V - PRS Mira S2

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:39 pm

JD used to use an OR80 and a metal muff for his distortion tones...

With the OR100, I don't get why he still uses distortion pedals...

The one knob amp is a "Big Crunch" Amp specifically make for Kyle ( i think is his name) I heard the big crunch separate at sound check before one of their shows and it was glorious sounding....The show I saw, it dominated the mix over the OR100, but at the sound check OR100 was set to be a lot gainier and compressed sounding.

check out this recent thread on this very same amp
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Yeah, Brooks and Shawna (at Big Crunch) know their stuff! My Sovtek is being serviced there right now. Great shop and I'm excited that they are making amps now, would love to get one one of these days. Not sure if I one-knob would work for me or not though, as much as I love the idea.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

DiabloS
Orange Master

Orange sighting

Post by DiabloS » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:23 am

Cool, thanks for posting this! When I saw them almost a year ago JD was either using an OR something or an AD140... I can't remember cause I've seen him use both. The other guitarist was playing through a Laney head and his guitar dominated the mix at that show too. They both sounded really good though.

It's kind of funny how a lot of people love The Sword's guitar tone and then you find out they use very common pedals like the Boss DS-1 and Metal Muff.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

joeminer
Tiny Terror

Post by joeminer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:34 am

DiabloS wrote:It's kind of funny how a lot of people love The Sword's guitar tone and then you find out they use very common pedals like the Boss DS-1 and Metal Muff.
I'm not a Boss hater, but I did take note of their use of Hush pedals to tame the hiss.
Orange AD30htc
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC212
Orange PPC112
Gibson LP Standard (Double Cut)
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Taylor 314ce
Little Martin
Lots of Pedals

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Honestly, I have tried to like the Sword. The Iron Swan song is what turned me on to them as I think that is a great song. I have seen them play at least 4 times, maybe more, always as opening acts for other bands that I really went to the show for..some of those headliners were (Graveyard, Clutch, Clutch again, Kyuss Lives, and I am probably forgetting one)

Anyway, I have never been blown away by the Sword live. Every-single-time I have seen them play I was disappointed. The live mixes never sounded right,,,JD's guitar was always too quiet or Kyle's too loud, bass inaudible, JD's vocals way too far back to hear, or JD's vocals too up front and he was being lazy on the vocals( don't think he sings well anyway and that hurts the overall dynamic of their music)....and I hate to say it but just plain ole lack of energy on the stage....I would never pay to just see them play on their own merits...if they are opening for someone I like, fine. I really can't believe that they toured and opened for Metallica as I don't think they are in that league whether you like Metallica or not.

However, I do like the idea and presentation (pretty normal fellows don't try to hard for a certain image) and the stoner-doomy-older school metal sound they put forth though.

The last time I saw them was in Chattanooga TN opening for Clutch....Clutch humiliated them and just mopped the floor over the Sword's opening performance....Clutch had way way way more energy, were louder, sounded way better, just an overall much better rock show in every regard from every detail top to bottom....and Neal Fallon is crazy intense

And I wouldn't consider myself a huge Clutch fan, just interested in them, so I don't think I have much bias in my assessment.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

DiabloS
Orange Master

Orange sighting

Post by DiabloS » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:56 am

Wow... I definitely agree with you on some points, and you've seen them more than the one time I've seen them, so maybe I just caught them on a good night but I really enjoyed them.

It probably helps that the venue I saw them in was the best I've ever seen. I saw them open for Clutch too and I enjoyed both bands, didn't think Clutch made them look bad in any way, except maybe for Neil Fallon's stage presence compared to their frontman. When it came to The Sword's live performance, I actually thought their guitarist Kyle put on a very good performance. At one point my friend actually nudged me during their set just to say "That guitarist was born to be a rock star"... just because he seemed so natural while rocking out on stage.

I will agree that the other band members don't do much though... but the same could be said for Clutch.. they're all very talented musically but Neil is the only member that has huge stage presence... maybe give a few points to their drummer JP too.

I won't argue about their mix or the vocals though, one guitar dominated over the other. Strong vocals aren't their strength... but vocals aren't really the reason why I like The Sword either.. I just like their heavy groove 8)
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Yep...I thought that kyle had the most stage presence too and he was born to rock..

If they could get their mixes right it would help for a much better listening experience.

They do write good riffs...and I hear many people say that they dont go to see the sword for vocals...but a stronger vocal would be more musically pleasing imo.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:36 pm

I think it's cool that their bassist seems to make/modify their pedals.

sa1126

Post by sa1126 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:36 pm

I saw them in Austin last month and they were so f'ing loud. That big crunch amp sounds freaking amazing. I'm curious how JD ran his speaker config in a 6x12 using the AD140.
almost all my gear was recently stolen :(

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:55 am

sa1126 wrote:I saw them in Austin last month and they were so f'ing loud. That big crunch amp sounds freaking amazing. I'm curious how JD ran his speaker config in a 6x12 using the AD140.
He is back using the AD140? was using the OR100, and before that the OR80 some too....He flip flops a lot...

I agree about the big crunch...it did sound amazingly good when I heard it too.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI