What style of music do you play with your Dual Terror?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

tjinca1

Post by tjinca1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:12 pm

I picked up a used dual terror head the other day cuz I love the tones of everyone I hear who has one. But I'm not getting anything special out of it so far. I play classic rock, blues and classic hard rock, which should be the sweet spot for this thing - from what I've read.

I'm playing it through a Two Rock 1x12. It has (I'm pretty sure - from memory) an Eminence Red, White and Blue speaker in it. I play it on half power (i've tried the 7, 15 and 30 watts - I liked the 15 the best). For a decent amount of gain I either have to have one of the channels on full gain (which creates some noise, of course), or a little less and boost it with an OD pedal, which colors that great Orange tone.

And since it has no reverb or loop, I have to put a reverb pedal (or sometimes a little slapback delay instead) in front of the amp. Then the channel with lower gain set up gets a little reverb and when I switch to the channel with the higher gain I get too much reverb.

Any suggestions? I guess the reverb thing is the nature of the beast with an amp with no loop, but how are you guys making these amps sound like magic? Thanks.

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Re: What style of music do you play with your Dual Terror?

Post by jasondunringill » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:10 am

Hi there, I'm afraid you're not going to get a nice reverb or delay sound with the gain up on the DT, any time based effect before the pre-amp sounds horrible with higher gain sounds.
I use the fat channel as a dirty channel and keep the gain down on the tiny terror channel and just use reverb and delay with this channel. I also use a few overdrive pedals before the reverb and delay and this works great, the DT loves a good OD pedal, I find a tube screamer type pedal particularly good. This gives you the option of having your delay or reverb with a dirty tone and just use the fat channel for the higher gain sounds that don't need any other effects with.
I love the DT and find this approach works well for me. I find I use the cleaner TT channel most of the time and just use the pedals for drive - could probably do without the second channel!
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:58 am

Have you replaced the tubes? I think any used tube amp should have new tubes installed.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:32 am

I mostly play the same genres as you and love the Dual Terror. How loud have you played it? The amp really sounds much better once you get it to past 10 o'clock on the volume knob. That's much too loud for bedroom playing, but it's not even close to its sweet spot unless you get it that loud.

Everyone is different though and I'm not sure how much gain you require, I almost never need to turn the gain knob past 2 o'clock on mine and still play pretty heavy songs. As previously mentioned, you may need to replace the tubes to get the most out of it too. You might also want to try it with a different speaker or cab. I like Eminence speakers with the Dual Terror, but I've never tried a RW&B with it so I'm not sure if they're a good match or not.

As far as putting effects like delay or reverb in front... it can be a challenge but you can either set your mix much lower on your pedal if going into a higher gain channel or set up one channel to be more clean and run your effects after an OD pedal for cleaner sounding delay/reverb type effects.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

iblastoff
Orange Hero

Post by iblastoff » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:35 am

if you need to max out the gain on the dual terror to get a 'decent' amount of gain, then this amp probably isn't for you.

http://masstheband.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this was recorded with a dual terror and a fender bassman.

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:51 pm

if you need to max out the gain on the dual terror to get a 'decent' amount of gain, then this amp probably isn't for you.
I'm not disagreeing with you on this, but I have to say that if I could get away with running everything on 10 the way Rob Chappers did in his Full Volume Orange Amp (YouTube) Demo I most definitely would!
Yes, the Dual Terror is loud enough!

fedepepo
Tiny Terror

Post by fedepepo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:10 am

I love DT too! With this amp I play in two differents bands. In one of that (rock / post grunge) I run with High gain sounds on the fat channel with a very good dist/od as Fulltone Dist pro, and "clean" crunchy sounds on tt channel. And it sounds very very good!

In another band (maybe more bluesy) I play on the tt channel little more gained, sometimes with mxr dyna comp.

Under this great head I've a 4x10 marshall cab.

PS. retube your amp. You'll notice the difference!
Amps:
Orange Dual Terror w 2x12 Celestion V30 loaded cab
Marshall JCM800 2210 Head w Marshall 4x10 80's vintage cab
Guitars:
Fender Strat American Special
Fender Telecaster American Special
Fender Strato Mex '94 HSS JB

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:07 pm

If you are running the gain that high up, you aren't getting the most out of this amp IMO.

Especially if you're into classic rock and blues. Try using much less gain, and listen to the bands you are trying to emulate - you'll find they use a lot less gain than you think (beside leads part).
It may take you a while to get accustomed to the less compressed tone coming out with less gain, but that lesser compressed tone will be more lively, with more dynamics, which i think is what you are aiming for.

Try to keep your gain setting between 10 & 1 oclock, and increase the volume. I believe that will work better for what you want. :)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:39 pm

Try it with a decent Celestion, or at least something 'British' voiced. Speakers make a HUGE difference to amp sounds and the Emi R,W&B is allegedly an American voiced speaker. The Orange is a British voiced amp, so probably just not a good match. You really want something with more mids!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:51 am

The best results I've had using Celestions have been with Greenbacks, H30's, and believe it or not, a V30/T75 mix.
Yes, the Dual Terror is loud enough!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:51 am

Beljunmalnwa wrote:The best results I've had using Celestions have been with Greenbacks, H30's, and believe it or not, a V30/T75 mix.
I can believe that!
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... 30#p608365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!