Fuzz Fuzz Fuzz

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Fuzz Fuzz Fuzz

Post by Orangesoda » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:02 pm

So I got me a Fulltone Ultimate Octave and WOW it sounds great when my amp is EQ'd with the mids boosted and a decent amount of treble as well. A very different sound. But I think part of it is the pedal itself. It has a very saturated tone that doesn't get too muffled. Kinda like a high-gain/fuzz sound that it has.

So I'm thinking of maybe replacing one of my distortion pedals with another fuzz pedal. I like the saturation this one has. I had an EQD Monarch and what I disliked about it was that it had a dry-no harmonics-unsaturated sound. Sounded like a very thick OD with the drive backed off significantly.

Any recommendations?! I'm no expert of fuzz. If it's a double pedal or a fuzz with something else added that would be a plus. I have one pedal that is dist + OD and the other is dist + boost. Kinda like having extra options.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Fuzz Fuzz Fuzz

Post by Jondog » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:45 pm

I've had lots of Fuzz pedals, boutique and mainstream. Alot of them are just clones of the classics with an added feature. Right now I'm really digging my new Nano Big Muff. Classic Big Muff, great tone, sustain. I have the Pedal Power 2 that lets you dim the voltage and I knock a couple volts off and it sounds awesome. You'll have to check out the Red Witch Fuzz god ll, great Fuzz Face based circuit that gets huge. Had the Pharoh for a bit, great pedal but I think it only sounds good in a certain area. No need for all the tweakability, a bit overhyped in my opinion. I'm digging the Fnord Fuzz right now too, a bit different sounding.

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:50 pm

Don't know what your budget is, but maybe the Coven from Blackarts Toneworks is what you need. One side is the Pharaoh, which I have and love, its based on a Big Muff circuit, the other side is the Blackforest Overdrive. Its a bit pricey, but has a fuzz and OD together in one pedal like you mentioned.

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/black-art ... pedal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Ritual is also AWESOME, thru a clean Fender, especially with an OCD in front of it, liquidy lead tones. Sounds like Wolfmother's "Woman". However it doesn't sound very good thru my Rocker 30, as the Pharaoh does, but I love its one knob simplicity, has a cool bright ODish tone when you back the volume down on your guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo704DfM1M8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:04 pm

apocalypsedude wrote:Don't know what your budget is, but maybe the Coven from Blackarts Toneworks is what you need. One side is the Pharaoh, which I have and love, its based on a Big Muff circuit, the other side is the Blackforest Overdrive. Its a bit pricey, but has a fuzz and OD together in one pedal like you mentioned.

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/black-art ... pedal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Ritual is also AWESOME, thru a clean Fender, especially with an OCD in front of it, liquidy lead tones. Sounds like Wolfmother's "Woman". However it doesn't sound very good thru my Rocker 30, as the Pharaoh does, but I love its one knob simplicity, has a cool bright ODish tone when you back the volume down on your guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo704DfM1M8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll second this. I have the black Arts, pharoah,black forest and ritual pedals. BAT rules.

http://www.blackartstoneworks.com/

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:50 pm

I really like my way huge swollen pickle.

Tons of gain and fuzz, massive volume boost. You can sculpt it quite a bit too, the 2 tone controls are interactive, and can run it in fuzz or distortion depending on setting.

Doesn't sound as fat as a fuzz face, but more articulate and cuts through really well. Brilliant lead tone too, almost out of control.

I'd really like a fuzz factory at some point too........
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Hands down, DEATH BY AUDIO makes the best fuzz pedals available. I suggest the FUZZ WAR. http://www.deathbyaudio.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I've been taking a look at a few of them.

Any that have that specific criteria I was talking about? Sound comes first. The other stuff is a plus. But if has a nice saturated fuzz/distortion, unmuffled rich sound to it then I'm in!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:18 pm

I've been goofing around with Fuzz the past few weeks too and it's been pretty fun! I'll admit, I'm following the crowd after getting into Gary Clark Jr. Awesome fuzz tones.

I just sent back a Pharaoh. Cool pedal but I was pretty sure I'd get buried in the band mix with my other guitarist. Instead I picked up a SolidGoldFx If 6 Was 9 which is really more my style. I've also got all the parts coming to make a tone bender circuit with a tone knob. I'll see how it sounds. I'm going to have to try the variable voltage on the Nano Muff Pi too. I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to have to get my hands on a Octavia derivative though too.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:51 pm

The BAT Pharoah is pretty epic. Lots of tones available thanks to three different clipping settings.

If you want a really crazy fuzz I would have to recommend the WMD Geiger Counter. You can do whatever you want with this thing.

If you want a really evil sounding fuzz (perfect for DOOM METAL, IMO) I recommend the Wampler Leviathan. Not the best at classic fuzz tones however. Very modern sounding.

And an good all around fuzz is the Little Big Muff. The guitar player in my band has one, and it sounds great with an amp on the edge.

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:21 am

0000 wrote:Hands down, DEATH BY AUDIO makes the best fuzz pedals available. I suggest the FUZZ WAR. http://www.deathbyaudio.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow these dudes have some interesting stuff! The Apocalypse caught my attention cuz of all the options it has.

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:28 am

Boy_Narf wrote:The BAT Pharoah is pretty epic. Lots of tones available thanks to three different clipping settings.

If you want a really crazy fuzz I would have to recommend the WMD Geiger Counter. You can do whatever you want with this thing.

If you want a really evil sounding fuzz (perfect for DOOM METAL, IMO) I recommend the Wampler Leviathan. Not the best at classic fuzz tones however. Very modern sounding.

And an good all around fuzz is the Little Big Muff. The guitar player in my band has one, and it sounds great with an amp on the edge.
Heard the Pharoah. I've heard people say great things about it. Maybe I need to listen to more demos. I listened to one only lol. The Leviathan was cool. Gotta look into the Geiger Counter. Had the Big Muff. Not really wanted a Muff type sound tho. 8)

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:14 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:I really like my way huge swollen pickle.

Tons of gain and fuzz, massive volume boost. You can sculpt it quite a bit too, the 2 tone controls are interactive, and can run it in fuzz or distortion depending on setting.

Doesn't sound as fat as a fuzz face, but more articulate and cuts through really well. Brilliant lead tone too, almost out of control.

I'd really like a fuzz factory at some point too........
The Way Huge Swollen Pickle has been at the top of my list for fuzz pedals to try out. Do you find it works well with Orange amps? I know I've played with several bands that had a wicked nice fuzz tone and when I went up to see their pedal board, it ended up being the Swollen Pickle they were using every time. Very intense and fat sounding leads!

But they were always using Fender or Marshall amps so I've kinda been hesitant of getting one to try with my Orange amps. I'm really close to pulling the trigger lately though.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:35 am

What about the MXR 108 classic fuzz....anyone tried it?

I have a Cthulhu Fuzz from Dunwich amps on the way, but I am figuring it will be more doomy and modern sounding....I would also like a classic sounding fuzz to fiddle with as well.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:57 am

ironlung40 wrote:What about the MXR 108 classic fuzz....anyone tried it?

I have a Cthulhu Fuzz from Dunwich amps on the way, but I am figuring it will be more doomy and modern sounding....I would also like a classic sounding fuzz to fiddle with as well.
Got one, really like it! Fuzz Face with a very useable buffer circuit.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:11 am

Jondog wrote:
ironlung40 wrote:What about the MXR 108 classic fuzz....anyone tried it?

Got one, really like it! Fuzz Face with a very useable buffer circuit.
Is it subtle? The demos I saw made it sound like it didn't have a lot of gain/fuzz on tap.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI