Recording with an AD30 head

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ness

Post by Ness » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:08 am

So recently Ive been doing a lot of recording. I have been using a vox cambridge 15. I would hook it directly into my computer using the line out. Now I would much rather use my orange ad30 head for recording but it has no line out and I have no good mic. So my question is: Is it possible and/or safe to hook up my ad30 directly into my computer to record using the cable that I would normally plug it into my speaker cab with?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:57 am

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

A speaker output is nothing like a line out. You WILL blow up the amp if you try it. You will blow the output transformer and those are very costly. The transformer is expecting to see an 8 or 16 ohm impedance from a speaker or speakers...

What you need to do is get something like a Hughes and Kettner Red Box or something like it that will provide a line level output from your amp but a speaker cab will still have to be plugged in...

The only other alternative is to get a Marshall SE-100 speaker emulator. It's a two space rack-mount type of device that attenuates the signal by 6, 12, or 18db or with this unit, it will attenuate it all the way to zero meaning you can unplug a speaker cab.... but only with this device or the one that Groove Tubes makes. The Marshall has been discontinued for several years and people hold onto them so it might be hard to find. In the US, expect to pay $300-400 for one. UK, I have no idea....

Good luck... Billy

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:00 am

actually, now that I think of it, a Shure SM-57 and mic cable would be a cheaper alternative unless your motive is to not bother the neighbors....

zinzin
Tiny Terror

Post by zinzin » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:09 am

hi ness, i have the vox cambridge 15 too. but i always was afraid to plug it directly into my computer. what cable did you use? did you plug it simply into the "mic-in"?
http://www.johnsrevolution.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/liquidgas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/jesuschristsuperfuzz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ness

Post by Ness » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
hi ness, i have the vox cambridge 15 too. but i always was afraid to plug it directly into my computer. what cable did you use? did you plug it simply into the "mic-in"?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

there is a line out on the the back, line out on amp to line in on the computer with a standard guitar cable. It works great.

Ness

Post by Ness » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
actually, now that I think of it, a Shure SM-57 and mic cable would be a cheaper alternative unless your motive is to not bother the neighbors....

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

heh, really not worried about the neighbors.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:50 pm

Oh, I get it..... you've deafened them by now!