Dual Terror Gain Manipulation?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

iamtherealmungo
Tiny Terror

Dual Terror Gain Manipulation?

Post by iamtherealmungo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Hello,

I've borrowed a friends Dual Terror that he might be selling to havbe a play on. I love the idea of a 7/15/30w compact head but I need two channels hence the decision to try the DT. Love having two gain controls because I use one crunch and one distorted channel.. BUT

I've tried cranking this think pretty loud through both a 1x12 and a 2x12 but I can't seem to get a dirty sound I like, it all feels very crunchy/fizzy/broken up unlike the RV50 that has a tight high gain dirty sound. I know they're very different amps and I know if you want a RV50 sound then stick to a RV50 but I like the slightly more vintage sond of the terror, I just want to know if different pre-amp valves would tighten up the gain any?

It currently has Harma valves throughout, and from research these seem to be quite clean valves compared to some. Would anyone recommend trying different pre-amp valves to get it closer to a RV50 type dirty sound or is it simply too much of an ask?

I love the cleans through it, and I love the crunch you can get with a little gain on the TT channel, but to use it for a distorted sound I definitely need a tighter gain.

Cheers!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Dual Terror Gain Manipulation?

Post by Jondog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:45 pm

I think your best option is to use a pedal to get you there. Or look at a TH30.

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Jondog wrote:I think your best option is to use a pedal to get you there. Or look at a TH30.
+1. I love the sound of my DT for clean and crunch but use pedals on the clean channel to get a dirty sound I like, I find the high gain sounds on the terror amps a bit fizzy but love the amp otherwise and it does take od and distortion pedals well.
Changing the pre-amp valves will change the tone slightly, maybe someone on here can recommend some that may help but I'd go down the pedal route if I were you.
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:49 pm

How loud are you running the master volume? At low volumes there can be some "fizz". Crank the master on the 30 watt settings and it should go away.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:28 pm

I found that the Tiny Terror will tighten up pretty well with the right pedal. Something like the M*rshall Guv'nor with the gain around noon should work similarly with the Dual Terror.

iamtherealmungo
Tiny Terror

Post by iamtherealmungo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:06 pm

Thanks guys! I've been told I have the Dual Terror for a few weeks at least! and seeing as my RV50 uses 12ax7's I don't mind buying a new set to try, what would you gjuys recommend for pre-amp valves that may help tighten the gain?

In regards to pedals. I have use of a sisual sound "jekyll & hyde" pedal which is pretty versatile so I thought that'd be a decent shout but it has FAR too many settings to get anything to mix well.

I tried using both the TT channel and the Fat channel, setting the gain to minimal break up and the tone where I like it, then adding the overdrive and distortion side of the J&H pedal separately and together but it just sounds like dirt.

I might go and try some pedals at a local shop soon, do you guys think I'm looking for and OD pedal or a Distortion pedal specifically? I'm basically aiming to tighten up the higher gain on the Fat channel of the DT, to get it somewhere closer to the RV5), not expecting to replicate it but just to get it a bit more modern and punchy rather than fuzzy and "classic" sounding.

(for the record. I am loving the DT's classic fuzzy sounds! the DT is perfect for what I need in terms of features, I just need to see if coupling one of the channels with a decent OD/Distortion pedal will get me a more modern/tighter gain!)

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:17 am

An overdrive pedal. You wnt to push the preamp tubes with it. Distortion pedals are more for a clean amp and you don't get as much of the amps character with them. If you can find a BB Preamp pedal, that's my suggestion.

iamtherealmungo
Tiny Terror

Post by iamtherealmungo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:05 am

Okay great, so does an overdrive pedal raise the signal going through the amp making the amp distort the sound? And a distortion pedal distort the signal prior to bring received by the amp?

That pedal looks great, what's the different between a "pre-amp pedal" and a standard OD pedal?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:25 am

iamtherealmungo wrote:Okay great, so does an overdrive pedal raise the signal going through the amp making the amp distort the sound? And a distortion pedal distort the signal prior to bring received by the amp?

That pedal looks great, what's the different between a "pre-amp pedal" and a standard OD pedal?
Thats just the name of the pedal. BB I heard stands for Blues Breaker.

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:38 am

I used to use a modded Tubescreamer with a Dual Terror.

Theeorical1

Post by Theeorical1 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:11 pm

I would not go into changing the valves to get the gain/distortion you like, just get a good Boost Pedal or overdrive/tube screamer.
That would put the gain up like a Rockerverbs.
I think the tones quite close to a Rockerverb, just not as punchy sounding & the gains not quite as high.

I wanted a Rockerverb but never had the cash, so got the Dual Terror & it's right up there as far as tone go's.
My Dual Terror sounds great & with a Pedal like I said gives you all the gain you'll ever need.
Boost pedal will up the gain by pushing the valves ( unaffecting the amps tone ) & a overdrive is great ( but gives some coloration ) for even more gain :) But you'll still have the same great tone.

iamtherealmungo
Tiny Terror

Post by iamtherealmungo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:50 pm

So in order to shoot for an RV 50 type dirty sound would i be looking to boost the DT's gain with a boost or alter/tighten it up with an OD/Tubescreamer?

I love the look of the BB pedal but I'm going have to for a cheaper option the moment and see if it close to the tight, chunky gain I'm after! There's so many pedals, and so many OD's and Tubescreamer variants it's hard to pick!

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:07 pm

Why not try some of the joyo pedals? They are meant to be clones of more expensive pedals- they're not but they get you in the same ballpark for very little outlay, if you don't like them you won't lose much selling them on. It's a cheap way of finding if you'd like the more expensive (and let's be honest, better) option. I use their vintage overdrive (tube screamer copy), ultimate drive (fulltone ocd copy) and sweet baby (a more subtle od, based on the sweet honey) and really like them. They do lots of others, tried the US dream (suhr riot) but prefer the ultimate drive.
They retail for £30 - 40 quid so worth a punt.
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:37 pm

What speakers do you have in your cabs? By any chance Vintage 30s? I bet that's where the fizz comes from (which gives you the briken sound feel - you just don't get creamy leads). Try with an American-voiced speaker - or one with strong attenuation above 5 kHz.

iamtherealmungo
Tiny Terror

Post by iamtherealmungo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:06 pm

I've got one V30 and a G12 H speaker in my can, and I like it with the RV so I'll try some pedals.

I had no idea the "clone" pedals were so cheap, the BB lookalike is cheap with to try to see I'd it'll get close, then I wouldn't mind spending more issuing in pedals!