How do you string your acoustics?/

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Re: How do you string your acoustics?/

Post by Jabberwocky » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:30 pm

I use a Faith Jupiter strung with Elixir Nanoweb E11002 80/20 Bronze 10-47 Extra Lights. Nice tone but don't kill your fingers during a 2 hour set with a picking/strumming mix of material.

They are expensive, but they last a lot longer than other brands I have used and keep their clarity and tone very well indeed.

The economics work out about the same, in that they last three times as long as other brands, but cost three times as much, however, less string changes are required which appeals to my lazy nature !

Best acoustic string I have used by far. Second would come D'Addario for longevity and tone/clarity retention, and Martin come a pretty close third.
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:48 pm

misterfolkertsma wrote:
Sooner wrote:I have flat wound electrics on my acoustic... :shock:
Randy Bass wrote:
Sooner wrote:I have flat wound electrics on my acoustic... :shock:
I tried the same thing. No squeaking!
Got any comparison clips/videos of that? I'd love to hear what that sounds like. I've played flatwounds before on a full hollow jazz guitar, but that guitar was nowhere near as resonant as your typical acoustic guitar.
The Beatles used them on a lot on their early stuff both acoustic and electric.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Play a Martin D-25K (the haven't made them since the 80s). Used to use Martin strings, but have changed to Elixers. Much brighter sound. Martins are dark to begin with, and their strings make them darker.

Make the jump to medium gauge strings. It will take a bit to develop the callouses, but the extra tension will increase your tone, your punch, and your sustain. You can bend mediums, once you get your callouses. You can tell when someone has recorded an acoustic with light strings, it sounds too thin and tinny.

As far as flat wound strings - I used to take my old strings off my electric (Telecaster) and put them on a Fender acoustic (I was in high school and had no money). Didn't sound any worse than the extra light acoustic strings, but no where near using mediums.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:27 pm

I dunno,I have the better part of a month until my 'Bill W. Anniversary',and this is intended to be a gift to self to help commemorate that milestone! 8)

I'm a bass player by trade,and recently sold off all my electrics...but,want a good acoustic/electric as a songwriting tool,to keep up some degree of guitar chops ,and just for personal enjoyment.

So I don't need anything super wazzo-dazzo fantastic,but just solid and cool.I've also been looking @ some of the Seagull models,and someone on TGP just suggested I check out Blueridge,which I'd never heard of until this morning./ :idea:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OM ... YWZ25UMBAG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LOOK @ THAT HEADSTOCK...THAT'S TIGHT!!!/ :shock: 8)
Hugh

tarfungo
Tiny Terror

Post by tarfungo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:51 pm

the orangewizard wrote:What is the consensus on Guild acoustics,btw?/ 8)
Guild D-25 user here.

For me, Guild's are aggressive rock and roll acoustics. In general, Guilds are loud and record better than most other acoustics (my opinion, of course) for the music I play. I've tried Gibson's, Martins, Taylors, Takamine, etc... Always come back to my Guild... YMMV...
Orange AD30HTC
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Orange OR50H
Orange PPC212 x 2