Any ideas on JJ EL844's ???

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Any ideas on JJ EL844's ???

Post by guilleonline » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:44 am

Was wondering about the idea of the 25% less headroom and lower volume. Since lower headroom doesn't really mean lower volume as we all know, does anyone have tried them in their Orange amps? I'd be using them on my AD30 and since I lately have only been playing at home (and haven't really played it lately since I usually want to cranck it and then it's too loud) I started to think these would be a good idea.

If anything any other recommendations as far power tubes for the AD30? Don't care much for cleans since. I use a different amp for that, but I do love a warm crunch.
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Re: Any ideas on JJ EL844's ???

Post by Man1ak » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:27 am

I have used them in my OR15. Not a lot of difference vs. the EL84s. Could be a little less headroom, depending how hard you're pushing the power section - should depend also on the power section design. But in my OR they are not much different. Also, don't count on the lower volume. They may put up a little less power, but that does not translate into a sensible volume drop.

Edit: your AD30 seems to be post-PI master volume, so the power tubes may react differently than the OR15.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:28 pm

I think the "advantages" of the EL844 are more noticeable with classic lower-gain EL84-based amps like the AC30 since that's what EuroTubes would have been targeting when they provided specs to JJ for the new design. The OR15 has so much available gain that it would only seem to matter if you kept the master volume cranked and left the gain low. I would e-mail EuroTubes for info since they have surely received feedback from AD30 owners using EL844s by now.
Last edited by Randy Bass on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:30 pm

Hey thanks for the post! That's what I had figured as far as volume. How's the sound though? Creamy overdrive or a bit more modern sounding? I had the regular jj el84's on my dual terror and with the ehx ax7's the sound was great. Don't know if that same equation will translate the same on this amp.
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch