Looking for a new guitar for the road...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Zachohh
Rocker

Looking for a new guitar for the road...

Post by Zachohh » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:19 am

So I'll be going on tour here in a few months, and the thought of taking my Firebird with me isn't something I'm enjoying so far, just because I don't want anything to happen to it. I'd rather get a guitar I wont mind getting road worn... Anyways, I like Gibsons, and I like Fenders.. I've really been digging jaguars/ jazzmaster style bodies recently... I was checking out xaviere, but the one jazzmaster I would have been down with is sold out. I also like the look of Double cut les pauls...

However I'm not really wanting to spend a crap ton of money if it's something I'm going to beat up..

SO the real question is, do I get a more expensive guitar, or a crappy one and upgrade the pickups, tuners, etc and make it nice?

I love the tone I get with the Firebird through the orange though... Would popping some mini humbuckers in another guitar suffice, or does too much of it come from the shape?

Also, any suggestions are really appreciated! haha.
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster
Seagull and Ovation Acoustic Electrics

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Looking for a new guitar for the road...

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:28 am

I think a Squier Tele Custom II with P-90s would be great for touring. Teles are bulletproof and the P-90s tone down the treble and give you some nice Gibson-like midrange. I don't know if they're still being made, but they sound great out of the box and they're affordable. You could also check out the Fender Black Dove Tele if you want to spend a little more.
Last edited by Randy Bass on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zachohh
Rocker

Post by Zachohh » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:31 am

Thanks for the suggestion! :) I'll have to check that out!
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:35 am

I've also found that the Seymour Duncan Lil '59 in the bridge position of my Squier Tele sounds a lot like a mini humbucker, most likely because it is a mini humbucker. I guess you can borrow it if you want to. :D

Zachohh
Rocker

Post by Zachohh » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:43 am

I've actually been wanting to put a little '59 in my fender tele. I've heard great things about that, and the guitarist in a sweet southern metal band called Maylene and the Sons of Disaster did that to his tele too. I love his tone too! So that would probably be the cheapest way out.. upgrade the tele I already have.
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:48 am

Could alwaus go for an Epiphone Firebird. Teles are my favorite though. Love the classic vibe series.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:52 am

Yeah - I think that's the way to go if you don't mind taking it on the road. I got the Squier Standard Tele because it was cheap and pretty (Antique Burst) and then spent more than the guitar cost to put in the Lil '59, a P-Rail in the neck, and a new pickguard and wiring (push-pull pots). Cheap guitars can be expensive. :D

Zachohh
Rocker

Post by Zachohh » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:04 am

Jondog wrote:Could alwaus go for an Epiphone Firebird. Teles are my favorite though. Love the classic vibe series.
Yeah, I've been waiting for one of the Epiphone firebird VII's to pop up on the used GC site again. Next time I see one, it's mine. Haha. Ideally that'll be before tour happens, but we'll see!

I don't mind taking my Tele on the road. It's pretty beat up already! =P
I think I just like the idea of getting a new guitar!
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster

Zachohh
Rocker

Post by Zachohh » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:05 am

Randy Bass wrote:Yeah - I think that's the way to go if you don't mind taking it on the road. I got the Squier Standard Tele because it was cheap and pretty (Antique Burst) and then spent more than the guitar cost to put in the Lil '59, a P-Rail in the neck, and a new pickguard and wiring (push-pull pots). Cheap guitars can be expensive. :D
Haha, and yeah, it does sound like they can be expensive! I've seen one of those before. It was pretty sweet! :)
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:05 am

They did a reissue go the les paul deluxe back in 2012, I have seen them go for $1200-1600. They have the mini hums
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Zachohh
Rocker

Post by Zachohh » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:37 am

msmith4432 wrote:They did a reissue go the les paul deluxe back in 2012, I have seen them go for $1200-1600. They have the mini hums
Oh sweet! I'm looking to spend a little less than that. There was a 70s reissue silverburst with mini hums for 600. That's tempting.
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:56 am

One thing to keep in mind when upgrading cheaper guitars is the upgrade costs. After the upgrades, is the guitar going to cost as much as just buying a better guitar and also if you decide to ever sell it, you're probably not going to get near whats it's worth with the upgrades. I've bought a couple Epiphones that I've upgraded with better electronics, tuning keys etc.. I always make sure I keep the old parts to return it to stock if I want to sell it. The parts are worth more on their own.

Sergeantsnowball
Rocker

Post by Sergeantsnowball » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:27 pm

A fellow firebird owner! FINALLY!
....Ahem...

A good alternative I've found is the gibson LPJ/SGJ range. They're pretty cheap (Not to start a price debate) and depending what sort of sound you're looking for, pretty tonally similar to the Firebird, but with a little bit more umf to em, not that you can't replace the pickups. Because you can. Great road kit, and I'm actually very surprised with how well they're built. Up until recently I never would have expected the name "Junior" to signify anything of quality.
Orange Amps: OR100H, AD30HTC, CR60
Guitars: Gibson Firebird 2013, Obscure Epi Les Paul, Charvel 5FX 1987, LTD Horizon 1001
Non-Orange Amp: Marshall JCM2000

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Zachohh wrote:
msmith4432 wrote:They did a reissue go the les paul deluxe back in 2012, I have seen them go for $1200-1600. They have the mini hums
Oh sweet! I'm looking to spend a little less than that. There was a 70s reissue silverburst with mini hums for 600. That's tempting.

Yeah they have the studio 70s lps that are under a grand brand new, I don't think their still in production but probably some out there
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:56 pm

Take your Firebird on the road man! I would never imagine touring with a second choice guitar. :)

Well, I know , my post does not help a lot.. sorry