Boost pedal advice for my new Orange CR-120

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

OrangeSchecter

Boost pedal advice for my new Orange CR-120

Post by OrangeSchecter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Hello everyone, I'm finally a proud owner of an Orange amp and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. (CR-120 Head)

Upon receiving my package yesterday and jamming I noticed that the dirty channel was not as bright as I remembered it when demoing it. I love the sound I'm getting from it but I think a boost or treble boost might help with those mids. Since I am a complete noob with the Orange line of amps I'm hoping I can get a couple of recommendations for a good boost pedal to help brighten the sound a bit.

I know the CR-120 has yet to be thoroughly reviewed and most Orange owners here are owners of tube amps but any boost pedal that you know of that would compliment the Orange line in general would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! \m/

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Boost pedal advice for my new Orange CR-120

Post by Jondog » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:36 pm

Are you usingbthe same cab/guitar you demo'd it on? Are you running any pedals?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:07 am

I think you'll find that the amp is too new for any of us to have some real practical advice. I suspect that it might take pedals differently than the tube/ valve amps but until I get a chance to fool around with one, I'll hold off on my advice.

Although the Seymour Duncan pedal is pretty cool....

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/s ... twin_tube/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OrangeSchecter

Post by OrangeSchecter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:00 am

I realized I didn't mention that in my original post. I am using the same guitar but a different cab. I haven't used my pedal board with this amp yet.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:21 am

Can't really say, as Billy says not many of us have any experience with the amp as it's pretty new. Generally though, I've never liked running boosts into solid state amps. They can't be pushed like a tube preamp. A boost pedal set low would be OK though. An EQ pedal might do a better job for boosting mid frequencies. I love the Xotic EP booster myself if I'm going to mention one. I asked about the cab, because that can make a huge difference in what your hearing. Speakers are one of the most important parts of your sound.

Vertikal
Tiny Terror

Post by Vertikal » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:37 am

I had a couple of hours on the CR120C not so long ago, but I were limited with regards to Master Volume as it were in store and in a rather cramped booth. I couldn't have it too loud, with being in a store for obvious reasons and I didn't feel like deafening one's self while sitting in a cramped booth, pretty much sitting on top of the thing. Plus it was a fairly new demo Amp so the speakers (Orange's Voice of the World) hadn't been broke in but even still, it sounded solid, lots of bottom end crunch. I asked one of the guys if I could put a pedal through it, gave me a choice of what they had under the counter and I went with Electro Harmonix's Metal Muff pedal, of which sounded very, very good via the Amp's Clean Channel. It sounded much crunchier than the Amp's Dirty Channel.

If I had, or wanted the CR120H instead of the CR120C, and I wanted those tones afore mentioned, I would probably go with a Jim Root PPC212 2x12, which has the same Orange Voice of the World speakers as the CR120C. (Although the cab is closed back).

There's a pedal by Matchless called the Hotbox III. It's something I'm seriously considering to go with my CR120C.

jace1
Tiny Terror

Post by jace1 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:50 am

I dont know how ss amps take to using a pedal on the dirty channel but since this amp is based off a rockerverb maybe it would be similar or maybe not. Here is a vid of a maxon od808 used on and off on the dirty channel on a rockerverb. You can take a listen and see if the pedal is affecting the sound how you want it to. But like i said idk if it will work with ss amps like it does with tube amps. Here is the link http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr53Fv3UuGc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:08 am

Vertikal wrote:I had a couple of hours on the CR120C not so long ago, but I were limited with regards to Master Volume as it were in store and in a rather cramped booth. I couldn't have it too loud, with being in a store for obvious reasons and I didn't feel like deafening one's self while sitting in a cramped booth, pretty much sitting on top of the thing. Plus it was a fairly new demo Amp so the speakers (Orange's Voice of the World) hadn't been broke in but even still, it sounded solid, lots of bottom end crunch. I asked one of the guys if I could put a pedal through it, gave me a choice of what they had under the counter and I went with Electro Harmonix's Metal Muff pedal, of which sounded very, very good via the Amp's Clean Channel. It sounded much crunchier than the Amp's Dirty Channel.

If I had, or wanted the CR120H instead of the CR120C, and I wanted those tones afore mentioned, I would probably go with a Jim Root PPC212 2x12, which has the same Orange Voice of the World speakers as the CR120C. (Although the cab is closed back).

There's a pedal by Matchless called the Hotbox III. It's something I'm seriously considering to go with my CR120C.

Cool looking pedal. Looked it up, pretty serious circuittry going on inside. All handwired, two preamp tubes and it's own transformer. Basically a tube amp preamp in pedal format.

Vertikal
Tiny Terror

Post by Vertikal » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:08 am

Jondog wrote: Cool looking pedal. Looked it up, pretty serious circuittry going on inside. All handwired, two preamp tubes and it's own transformer. Basically a tube amp preamp in pedal format.
Indeed it is. For looks, it's probably the best looking pedal there is on the market, or one of at least. It sounds, I think rich is a term to accurately describe it in a nutshell. Very Vintage sounding, lots of Gain but not the kind that's over the top that sounds like it's being played through a tin.

It retails for around $450 US, probably be around £470+ here in the UK. Ouch. But with it being all handmade, hand wired, Preamp Tubes, Transformer and that simple yet cool looking stainless steel casing and taking into account the work going into it, could it be justified at that cost? I think maybe so. Still in two minds, and there's only one company here that distributes Matchless gear so it's probably going to be pretty exclusive.

OrangeSchecter

Post by OrangeSchecter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Thanks guys!

Billy, I'll be sure to check out that Seymour Duncan pedal this weekend.

Jace, thanks for the video of this Maxon! It sounds awesome! It definitely opens up the sound the way I like to hear it but I'm afraid the solid state won't respond to it the same way. I will definitely look to try it out this weekend as well.

Vertikal, thanks for the suggestions. I really want to utilize the clean channel as I play in a prog metal band and do switch to clean a lot. But I have used the mini metal muff and it does kick ass!

After reading everyone's responses I believe my best bet is to bring in my head to a local music store and try it out with a nice graphic equalizer. I do want more mids so maybe I just need to mess with the frequencies and not necessarily get a boost. After jamming last night by myself and really being able to crank the volume I noticed how ridiculously powerful it is on its own. Orange amps are a beautiful thing and I can't wait to purchase a tube powered one.

Thanks everyone

OrangeSchecter

Post by OrangeSchecter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:32 pm

Also, Vertikal, I do plan on buying an orange cab in the very near future. 8)

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:28 pm

Vertikal wrote:
Jondog wrote: Cool looking pedal. Looked it up, pretty serious circuittry going on inside. All handwired, two preamp tubes and it's own transformer. Basically a tube amp preamp in pedal format.
Indeed it is. For looks, it's probably the best looking pedal there is on the market, or one of at least. It sounds, I think rich is a term to accurately describe it in a nutshell. Very Vintage sounding, lots of Gain but not the kind that's over the top that sounds like it's being played through a tin.

It retails for around $450 US, probably be around £470+ here in the UK. Ouch. But with it being all handmade, hand wired, Preamp Tubes, Transformer and that simple yet cool looking stainless steel casing and taking into account the work going into it, could it be justified at that cost? I think maybe so. Still in two minds, and there's only one company here that distributes Matchless gear so it's probably going to be pretty exclusive.
I'd classify it s a boutique pedal and I think the cost is justified, for all that's there and how it's built. I couldn't bring myself to buy one though.

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:11 pm

OrangeSchecter wrote:Thanks guys!

After reading everyone's responses I believe my best bet is to bring in my head to a local music store and try it out with a nice graphic equalizer. I do want more mids so maybe I just need to mess with the frequencies and not necessarily get a boost. After jamming last night by myself and really being able to crank the volume I noticed how ridiculously powerful it is on its own. Orange amps are a beautiful thing and I can't wait to purchase a tube powered one.

Thanks everyone
you want mids? try a boss ds1- with the keeley ultra mod.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof