strat pickups?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

strat pickups?

Post by jasondunringill » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:24 am

Ahoy all strat / orange users, this is probably something that's been covered many times before but I'm looking to upgrade my Mexican standard strat pickups at some point. I'm not unhappy with the stock pickups but just have that nagging feeling it could be so much better! I play through a dual terror with a few pedals and play mostly classic rock and blues. I first thought about the fender custom shop fat 50's which the US standard now comes with I understand but then started a wee browse. First of all I came across the Wilkinson vintage set which to be honest looks too good to be true for the price (reviews pretty good though as far as I can see) then at the other end of the price range had a look at the bare knuckle sultans which seem to be what I'm looking for but at a price. Does anyone have any experience of these or a suggestion of a good alternative? I know it's very subjective but that's the trouble with pickups, you can't just walk in to the shop and try them out, and the YouTube demos are only as good as they are recorded! Any comments welcome.
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: strat pickups?

Post by bclaire » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:34 am

I've been really happy with everything I've gotten from Lindy Fralin - from rewinds to new pickups. Check out his website - he's the best IMHO.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:17 am

It's so much a question of taste.
My stat is loaded with the Texas Special, and they are just what I needed. A good balance between power and strong mids, with true strat tone on position 2 & 4.
I know lot of people hate them.

The wilkinson have a very good reputation. And for the price it's maybe worth the pain to try.
Pickups are only copper coil around magnets, so even if it's not rocket high prices, they can work properly if done to the right specification.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:24 am

I've got a set of Virtual Vintage 54 from Di Marzio in my Vigier. They are brilliant & noise free!
Brilliant for that strat blues tone, great sparkle, bell tones, slightly more bass than your usual noise making single coil.

I heavily recommend them.

Compared to Fender's own noiseless single coil, I thought the fender one totally uninspiring and bland (that was in a clapton strat), and sounded so much nicer and refined than a knopfler strat too.

I'm sure that live al those nuances would disappear, but playing at home, I like my set. :)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:29 am

Tonerider vintage plus strat pickups

love em!

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:03 pm

I changed the pickups in my american standard strat to Fenders own Tex-Mex pickups after i heard them in the road worn series. Awesome pickups with a little more grind than normal strat pickups. Less 'sterile' if you want. And a pretty good deal too.
Check them out!
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:38 pm

i inhereted my son's indonesian squire strat. this guitar set up perfectly and it plays like a dream. i have a LP with p90's and a g&L telecaster w/humbuckers. i love them all but the first guitar i pick up is the squire. the stock pickups were of course noisy pieces of schist so i dropped in the seymour duncan everything axe set. included pickguard, pots, 5 way switch and input jack. i think i paid around $200. the more i play these pickups the more i want to play them. very versatile and quiet. jb jr in the bridge, duckbucker middle and little 59 in the neck. amazing for rock and blues. i'm still gonna get a usa strat tho....
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 pm

I had modded my Strat deluxe to Fat 50s in the neck and middle, with a Duncan "Little '59" bucker in the bridge. Dude, it is literally impossible not to be floored by that tone combo.

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it'd be much easier but very boring if everyone recommend the same pups! Still be interested to hear if anyone's tried the Wilkinsons themselves, might be a good interim solution while the search goes on. As I said previously, I'm not unhappy with the stock pups but they are pretty hot for single coils ( I hardly notice a drop in volume when swapping over from my LP ) and they lack subtlety. I feel the sound is not as 'stratty' as it should be. Any other suggestions still welcome :)
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

Vertikal
Tiny Terror

Post by Vertikal » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:32 pm

Hello there,

You might be interested in Bare Knuckle Pick-Ups, British Company, hand-made so they're pretty expensive, albeit well worth the investment. They're also very vintage orientated so they have those old school sounds as well as modern of course and they're very informative about the specs. They also have the best names for their Pick-Ups: Mother's Milk, Piledriver, Painkiller, Juggernaut, Nailbomb and the somewhat, 'adult natured sounding' one... "The Mule". :D

Here's the link to their Strat page:

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/p ... cat=strats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.

:)
Last edited by Vertikal on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:35 pm

bfitz wrote:Tonerider vintage plus strat pickups

love em!
After much more youtube-ing and researching and with the help of a few large drams (always risky with Amazon one click to buy available) I've ordered a set of the tonerider pure vintage pups, they sound pretty great from the various demos and while not as cheap as the wilkinsons are still pretty good value. Will report once they're installed. Thanks for the suggestion and g'night. Hic.
Last edited by jasondunringill on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:37 pm

Vertikal wrote:Hello there,

You might be interested in Bare Knuckle Pick-Ups, British Company, hand-made so they're pretty expensive, albeit well worth the investment. They're also very vintage orientated so they have those old school sounds as well as modern of course and they're very informative about the specs. They also have the best names for their Pick-Ups. :D

Here's the link to their Strat page:

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/p ... cat=strats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.

:)
Thanks for that, had been looking at their sultans set and if the toneriders I've ordered don't do it for me then that may well be the next port of call.
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

Vertikal
Tiny Terror

Post by Vertikal » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:40 pm

jasondunringill wrote: Thanks for that, had been looking at their sultans set and if the toneriders I've ordered don't do it for me then that may well be the next port of call.
No worries. I'm glad you've found some regardless. :)

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:07 am

jasondunringill wrote:

love em!
After much more youtube-ing and researching and with the help of a few large drams (always risky with Amazon one click to buy available) I've ordered a set of the tonerider pure vintage pups, they sound pretty great from the various demos and while not as cheap as the wilkinsons are still pretty good value. Will report once they're installed. Thanks for the suggestion and g'night. Hic.
Think you'll find them to your liking and I know others here have them and really dig them as well

Enjoy!

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:57 pm

bfitz wrote:
jasondunringill wrote:

love em!
Think you'll find them to your liking and I know others here have them and really dig them as well

Enjoy!
Pickups arrived and fitted this evening, not had a chance to really give them a blast (sleeping children) but even at low volume, wow. Love all the sounds including the middle which I've never really been a fan of and the in between sounds are just lovely. Think the neck takes is my favourite though, can't wait to really try them out. Many thanks for the recommendation :D
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!