What amp(s) do you own that aren't Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: What amp(s) do you own that aren't Orange?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:35 pm

bclaire wrote:It's ridiculous I know, but here's what I have in other amps, what I used to have, and Oranges I have....

Currently have (other amps):
1989 Marshall JTM-45-RI head
1989 Marshall JTM-45-RI housed in Bluesbreaker combo
1992 Marshall 6101 30th Anniversary combo
80's Marshall 1936 2X12 cab
1970 Marshall 1960A 4X12 cab
1970 Marshall 1960B 4X12 cab
1930's National amp
1930's National amp - painted black non-working
1964 Silvertone amp 1482
1966 Fender Bandmaster
1975 Fender VT Bassman 15 cab
1965 Fender Bandmaster cab
1987 Fender Champ 12
90's Fender Sidekick 15
2010 Vox AC-4
1975 OMEC 2X12 Speaker Cabinet

Amps I used to have:
1972 Marshall Superlead
1974 Marshall Superlead
!967 Marshall Trem 50
1973 Ampeg VT-22
1978 Fender Twin Reverb
early 70's Sound amp
1975 OMEC Digital Programmable Amp

Oranges I have:
2002 AD30TC 30TC
2013 AD30TC AD30TC
2001 Orange AD140TC
1978 Orange OR80M
1991 Orange OR80M
2012 Orange OR15
2012 Orange PPC112
1970's Orange 4X12
1970's Orange 4X12
2007 Orange AD200B MK 3
2000's Orange OBC115 bass cab
2006 Orange OBC410 bass cab
1973 Orange Double Horn Unit
2007 Orange Tiny Terror
2012 Orange Micro Terror
2012 Orange PPC108
2012 Orange Stereo Micro Crush wedding gift from Orange!
2006 Orange Micro Crush

What happened to your OMEC? DIdn't you send it back to Orange to (hopefuly) get it fixed??
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Skynt Leonard

Post by Skynt Leonard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:30 pm

A Mesa 5:25 that gets a bit lonely ever since I got the OR15. It does have a beautiful reverb though.

I also still have my very first amp, a Peavey Audition 20 I got in 1984-ish. I've had a Marshall JCM-900 50w and a line 6 75w. Only had that for 2 days, hated it.

OR15

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:19 pm

I've come to the conclusion that i only own 15 watt amps.
The TT, a Fender Blues Junior MkII and my very first amp; the Squier 15 solid state amp.
Ow, i almost forgot my micro marshall. The grey one... And i wouldn't know the wattage...
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:21 pm

OrangePaul wrote:In order of weight...

Orange OR120 head, ADA/Marshall 9005 (stereo rack 2x50watt), Marshall JMP50 combo, Mesa Rectoverb 50 combo, Blackstar HT1R practice combo.

I don't consider that I've gone through a lot of gear over the years... The only amps I've willingly let go are a carlsbro 90 bass head and a fender sidekick combo.
To answer the second part of you're question as to why I keep them all.. flippin beats me! :mrgreen:

The rack is just so flexible and powerfull but a pain to lug...
The JMP just has that classic Marshall sound...
The Mesa is a very flexible combo too, has such an awesome clean sound with my Les Paul...
And the OR120 is just well... totally awesome all in its own special Orange way 8)
Paul.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:23 am

Some serious ampage here, both Orange and not. Particularly impressed with tarfungos vintage Vox collection - I can well understand that little obsession. Billy, is (probably) always going to top out on sheer amp acreage here, just like with Teletonnage. Quality too though, not just quantity.
Thinline_slim wrote:What amp(s) do you own that aren't Orange?
And what about them really keeps you hanging onto it?
Yeah, well most of my amps aren't Orange. Guess I like some other sounds too. My Orange count = three, Micro Crush Pix 3, '06 Rocker 30 combo, '78 OR120. The rest, also in ascending order of (alleged) wattage...

TOA HA355 10W PA amp: Virtually nothing on the internet on this amp (except for mine.) Well made, looks to be '70s, made in Kyoto, Japan, unusual ECL82 (6BM8) hybrid pre/power valves, basically true PTP wired. (Pic: http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... pg#p602092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Kept because it sounds glorious! Very like an old 20W Marshall: cleans = lovely, overdrive = smooth smooth smooooth, and plenty of it too. Super cool wee amp which cost me next to nothing.

Fender Pro Junior and Blues Junior 15W combos: The basic PJ (with a replacement Jensen and a dark brown yacht varnish cab respray) is my favourite. That + reverb = hours of fun. Despite the extra controls and bigger speaker the BJ while nice isn't quite so pure and open sounding. Still, pairs up about perfectly with my soapbar LP Jr. Special which is why it stayed too.

Mesa Boogie Subway Reverb Rocket: Beautiful wee single channel / 3 mode combo, superb build quality and I love the looks too which doesn't hurt. I mostly use it in 'clean' mode for it's rich fat cleans / superb crunch. Like a richer sounding Fender - far more mids - with (IMO) much nicer overdrive when pushed. 'Lead' and 'contoured lead' modes both impressive (and impressively loud for a wee 1x10), but you do need to get the amp cranked a bit for them to really work well IMO.

Peavey Classic 30 combo: Grabbed this 20 years back (!) when starting playing guitar alongside bass. Great choice, still a real favourite amp, going exactly nowhere. Cleans are beautiful, slightly darker than typical 'Fender', but still nice and lively. The reverb is really sweet - better than those in either my Fender BJ or Mesa Subway combos! Whole variety of drive sounds from the dirty channel, with the boost button as a very clever secret weapon. (http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=2139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) This is the amp I used when learning to 'drive' electric guitar.

Vox AC30B Top Boost head (JMI gray panel, '65 / '66): Was SO lucky to find this in the same old TV / Radio shop as the TOA. (Was also 'pretty well priced' too!) Factory bass version with top panel TB. Working well but temperamental +++, sometimes it sings, sometimes it is like trying to wring blood out of a brick and I just can't dial in the greatness. (? very sensitive to line voltage variations and / or ?? just my ears / expectations / playing. Strangely though it never seems to sound 'average', it is either a great session or a non starter! :?) When singing though there is simply no better amp. Tones and dynamics are both unbelievable, and IMO this is as much a musical instrument as any guitar ever made. Definitely the most characterful of all the amps I have owned (or played). Guess 'TB' also means 'temperamental b*****' though! :roll:

Ampeg B-100R combo: Very gig-worthy 100W solid state 1x15 combo - which doesn't see any of those things as a limitation. Loud, full sounding and toneful enough to fool anybody into thinking there was more ampage hidden away somewhere. This and a 'P' or 'J' bass = classic sounds and a great night guaranteed. Every jam session should have one of these to plug into!

'74 Hiwatt DR103 Custom 100 head: Depending on your needs, very possibly the best instrument amp ever made. For me it really is to be honest. It is the amp I always wanted after first direct exposure in the early '80s, and even many years of happy Orange OR120 gigging never cured that GAS. But then I'm only a bass player, what would I know? :lol: :wink:
Serious amps though, in every way. Design and build quality, components used, performance - all are top notch. Not specifically guitar amps at all, spec says 'AP' = 'all purpose', so, guitar, keys, bass, whatever, all can benefit from the Hiwatt treatment. Which means BIG, solid, yet very sweet and musical sounds. Notoriously loud and clean, that never means 'sterile'. Far from it, even quiet they still sound 'big' and solid. When really loud they sound absolutely massive, both before and after they eventually start to overdrive, when things get truly unique. (Think "Who - Live at Leeds" where all guitar and bass sounds were pure no punches pulled Hiwatt.)
I link the separate Normal (fatter) and Bright(er) preamp channels so that their respective volume controls effectively become extra overall tone controls. Then it is easy - leaving all the other EQ and Presence controls untouched - just to adjust those two for different overall bass / treble balances to suit different songs or basses. Super versatile, hugely dynamic, great sounding, oh and the background noise levels are incredibly low. What's not to like? Sheer quality. With apologies to my trusty OR - which I love dearly, but if I'm honest my DR103 is genuinely the very last amp I'd ever part with.

Crate Powerblock: Early class D guitar amp, 150W @ 8 ohms or 2 x 75W (stereo) @ 4 ohms. Useful backup amp for guitar, bass or as a small stereo PA amp. Won't win any best amp ever prizes but the decent basic clean and drive sounds will get the job done.

Genz Benz Streamliner 900: Got this 3kg 500W @ 8 ohms / 900W @ 4 ohms bass micro head when I realised my lightest gigging valve bass head (the Hiwatt) was just as heavy as my biggest and heaviest bass cab, a 20kg 600W Tecamp M212 vertical 2x12. Amazing amp too the Streamliner, best take on a big ballsy all valve head I've come across that isn't actually one. Does have a full valve (3 x 12AX7) preamp with a sweet modified Baxandall Treble + Bass EQ + separate switchable active mids. Simple controls but, like good valve amps, way more versatile than you'd expect. It really is like exploring and getting to know a good valve amp, and I'm still learning new tricks with it. Preamp gain goes from very clean to well dirty, and the balance between preamp gain and volume (there is a 3rd power stage master volume control too) also has a lot of effect on tone, so like on the very best amps these are real tone controls too. Class D power amp section has clever power management which pushed hard gives much of the feel, dynamics, and speaker safety of a big valve output section. Though with that much power I don't really need to push it that hard to be honest.
Basic sounds are big and full - just pillows and pillows of real low end which somehow always sounds punchy, never wooly. Clever and impressive stuff. And 300W / kg - that's just nuts! But yeah there are happy ex-SVT users out there proving that this amp can genuinely replace a 320W all valve Ampeg SVT.
Big shame that Fender grabbed Genz Benz then just very recently discontinued the name. :evil:
I hope that Jeff Genzler (who answers his e-mails very quickly + helpfully BTW, cool guy!) and his GB colleagues will still be able to do their thing, either under the Fender name or with a new company. Like OP Thinline_slim I'm a big GB fan!!!

And some 'breaking' news... :wink:
Tecamp Puma 900: Yep, NBAD announcement, and yep, more micro madness... Another silly powerful micro bass head, this one from Germany, same make as my 2x12 cab. Near identical power output figures to the GB Streamliner, but a totally different style of amp, genuinely a 'Hiwatt' to the GB Streamliners 'Ampeg' / 'Orange' type of delivery. Lots and lots of sweet, dynamic, yet muscular (and versatile) clean power. Very 'plug and play' too: simple effective 4 band EQ with a super neat and useful 'Taste' control which is basically an EQ low / high balance, pivoting everything around about 650 Hz, one of the really important midrange frequencies for bass. (This works for me almost exactly the same as changing the 'Normal' / 'Bright' channel balance on the Hiwatt! :D)
Plugging most basses in with everything (except the volumes) set at 12:00 works incredibly well. If needed there is plenty of room for tweaking, with controls centred at 30 / 250 / 800Hz / 8kHz. The two midrange bands cover a lot of the lows and highs by themselves for setting your basic sounds. The very low / high centred bass and treble frequencies mean these work best for final tweaking. It is nice to have another amp which works well with all EQ controls at or near the centre of their range. And again there is tons of true low end available with a clear but controlled (never boomy or harsh!) delivery. Another fantastic amp, even better than I expected or hoped for. And it is even smaller than the Streamliner, only (W x H x D) 10.75" x 2" x 8.5" including knobs feet and sockets, and HALF the weight at 1.5 kg = 3.5lb. I have plenty paperback books which are both (much) larger and heavier - truly nuts... :!:
Just one slight fly in the ointment. Fan was setting off a quiet but annoying high pitched resonance, think higher pitched fridge noise - not that loud but (to me) real headache inducing stuff. Case screws were all nice and tight, so not that, but I found that simply pressing the bottom of the chassis could stop it. A real resonance then, not plain fan noise. E-mailed Tecamp and within 10 minutes got a reply from Thomas Eich, the main man there, saying to send it back directly to them in Germany and he'd have it sorted and heading back my way the same day. So the amp is away right now and I'm hoping for the best. He is also kindly sending me a small updated part I asked about for my speaker cab - no charge, very cool.

Pretty crazy if you think about it this way. My amps range from under 1.5W rated output per kg (my old '33W' AC30 head weighs almost exactly the same as my OR120 head!) right up to 600W / kg for the wandering Tecamp Puma.

Have had a few more amps, not so many. But I didn't keep those - so stuff 'em! :lol:

Andy
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

smyth63

Post by smyth63 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:20 pm

This is my list old to new:

- Danelectro amp in case
- Music Man 65 reverb head
- Peavey Bravo 1x12 tube combo
- Roland Cube 80xl
- Orange Dark Terror

These are played through a Genz Benz G Fex 2x12 cabinet

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:39 pm

More Genz Benz! 8)

Anyone heard of THC amps BTW? (They are the guitar division of the Tecamp bass gear.)

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Well, I had Vox 15 watt but I sold it because my TT was just better for me. I also had a little practice VOX that you can attach to your hip or whatever... the preamp is actually good enough to record a little with.... but I stepped on it. So, that was my experimentation with non Orange amps.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:10 pm

I have a black matamp gto 120 and a vintage first gen sunn model t .

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:43 pm

JCM800 2204 first year 1981 with a late 70s Marshall 4x12 loaded with original greenbacks.
One hell-eva 50 watt tonal beast!

Miss my 70s OR80 :|

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:57 pm

Well, I have

-Crate PowerBlock (backup amp, never had to use it for backup yet!)
-Sovtek Mig 100h

Previously I've owned:

-Line 6 Spider 75 watt combo
-Ampeg B2R
-Quantum practice amp
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Past

Music Man 112R65

VOX AC30TBX (Korg)

Orange AD30TC

Marshall Super Bass MkII

Fender Twin Reverb

Present (non Orange)

Ceriatone EF86TMB36w

Fender Tonemaster

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

thebigcheese
Tiny Terror

Post by thebigcheese » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:21 pm

My first amp was some Crate 65 watter, but I dumped that long ago for a Blues Jr. Which I then dumped for a Vox Night Train. Which I dumped for a TH30. Then I dumped that for a Boogie Roadster head with a Boogie oversized 2x12 (best 2x12 I've ever heard). Still have that, and it has been my main gigging rig for a year or two now, but I have a Rockerverb 2x12 combo on the way that will become my gigging amp while the Boogie stays at home for practice and recording. I also picked up a blue AC4 at some point and an OR15 just for fun and got a free SWR Workingman's Twelve recently.

The Boogie has a lot of nice sounds, but most of them are dirty sounds. Never quite got behind the cleans or the reverb. Plus it's way too complicated and it pops when you switch channels, even after a year of constant use. But it does record very well, requires almost no "fixing" when I get to mixing, so it's great to have around for that. But, conversely, I think that makes it too polished for stage use, plus all the sounds I actually need I can get from the Rockerverb with a couple knob tweaks. I will miss the solo button, though...

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:26 am

At the moment I don't own any Oranges, although I am considering a TT combo with a WGS ET65 in it and the British Glory mod.

Got my stable down to 3 that I am pretty happy with:

Clingan Custom Radiation Spring 1x12 combo (Fallout inspired TV amp that has been on here).
Ulbrick Venue 30 Verbovibe 1x12 combo
Hylite Hiwatt DR103 head and SE4129 cab

What keeps me holding on to them?

At work at the moment but will fill this in later.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:57 pm

OU818 wrote:Got my stable down to 3 that I am pretty happy with:

Clingan Custom Radiation Spring 1x12 combo (Fallout inspired TV amp that has been on here).
Ulbrick Venue 30 Verbovibe 1x12 combo
Hylite Hiwatt DR103 head and SE4129 cab

What keeps me holding on to them?

At work at the moment but will fill this in later.
Well I certainly understand that bit! :D (But do tell anyway!)

PS Just found this interesting DR103 thread and article:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board//showt ... ?t=1371429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://dcguitarjournal.blogspot.nl/2006/11/hiwatt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.