Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Strymon Flint

Post by Jondog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:26 pm

I dont own the flint, but I have thé Blue Sky, mobius and Timeline. Strymon are top notch pedals. Excellent transparency, switching and construction. Thé effects are as good or better sounding than anything Ive played.

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:16 am

I've a Flint.

Bullet proof construction, great sound (well not when I'm playing through it!) but quite a large power draw if you are running it through a baord mounted battery (I had it connected to a Pedaltrain Volto - Which has since been returned faulty [avoid!]).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuOYdoG74vk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or if you like your gear demos with a little less dry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG4g8T8-yfk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gear: Kurt Cobain Jaguar, Kurt Cobain Mustang, American Std Tele ('10 3burst), Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange OR15, Orange Tiny Terror HW, Vox Night Train NT15H, Marshall JCM-1H, PPC112 Cab & a Marshall Custom Pin-Up

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:32 am

Never played one, but I used to own another Strymon pedal and can agree that they are top notch in quality and construction! If I had the money and necessity I'd likely have a pedal board full Strymon products.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:12 pm

CarbonToe. wrote:I've a Flint.

Bullet proof construction, great sound (well not when I'm playing through it!) but quite a large power draw if you are running it through a baord mounted battery (I had it connected to a Pedaltrain Volto - Which has since been returned faulty [avoid!]).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuOYdoG74vk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or if you like your gear demos with a little less dry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG4g8T8-yfk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think Strymon pedals require more current than a typical pedal. They aren't designed to run off batteries.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Jondog wrote: I think Strymon pedals require more current than a typical pedal. They aren't designed to run off batteries.
As long at the battery pack has enough mA it shouldn't be an issue should it? They aren't designed to run off your standard alkaline but with something like the Sanyo Pedal Juice (or Volto) that will supply 1000mA at 9V for a couple of hours I don't think it would be a problem. Am I wrong?

I have a Pedal Juice and even though I haven't tried it with with my El Cap I'd like to know before I need to try it.

As for Strymon Foef, I've been running an El Capistan for a couple of years now and I've had a Mobius for about a year now. I think they are great pedals.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:03 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
Jondog wrote: I think Strymon pedals require more current than a typical pedal. They aren't designed to run off batteries.
As long at the battery pack has enough mA it shouldn't be an issue should it? They aren't designed to run off your standard alkaline but with something like the Sanyo Pedal Juice (or Volto) that will supply 1000mA at 9V for a couple of hours I don't think it would be a problem. Am I wrong?

I have a Pedal Juice and even though I haven't tried it with with my El Cap I'd like to know before I need to try it.

As for Strymon Foef, I've been running an El Capistan for a couple of years now and I've had a Mobius for about a year now. I think they are great pedals.
I was curious so I looked at the manual. Says the Volto isn't designed for these types of pedals.

from manual:
Battery Life
VOLTO is a powerful 2000 mA lithium-ion battery that can power a typical five-pedal
Pedaltrain for up to 36 hours of continuous use. However, VOLTO performance varies
on a number of factors:

1) Quality of stored charge
2) Draw of your pedals
3) Type of your pedal
4) Use of your pedals

VOLTO can have amazing battery life when powering pedal varieties that use a standard
9-volt battery. Just about every analog overdrive, phase, flange, delay, compression and
tremolo pedals fall into this category. Tuners too.

Certain pedals, like high-fidelity digital delays and reverbs, draw very large amount of
power and are frequently is an “always on” mode. “Always on” can mean two things: a)
the player leaves the effect engaged all the time, or b) the pedal is drawing current
regardless of whether or not the effect is engaged. While VOLTO can power these
pedals, it is important to note that VOLTO was not designed to power these types of
effects as a primary function. VOLTO’s battery life will be diminished using the pedal
types.

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Since i have a s[are 250mA output on my PedalPower2+ this will not be very much of a issue.
Might as well order it then. As no shop in my region carries them.

Thanks guys!
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Foef wrote:Since i have a s[are 250mA output on my PedalPower2+ this will not be very much of a issue.

Thanks guys!
Thats the other great thing about Strymon. They are not a huge company and maintain a bit of a boutique status by selling direct and they keep their prices reasonable for what you get.

Geosh
Tiny Terror

Post by Geosh » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:12 pm

Foef wrote:Since i have a s[are 250mA output on my PedalPower2+ this will not be very much of a issue.

Thanks guys!
It is a fantastic pedal. I owned one for a while (I have a Strymon Big Sky now) and it is one of my favorite reverb pedals. It does a very good spring emulation and the 80's mode is just killer for more "ambient" type reverbs. The tremolo is pretty nice too. I liked it a LOT more than the Blue Sky.

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:13 am

I'd like to clarify about the Volto.

I pre-ordered it before the specs were fully disclosed.
It did power the Flint without issues but running with another 3 pedals drained it in about 2 hours (when new).
Over time the Volto became unreliable drainining its charge from any time 1 hour to 3 hours with no change of use, and the blue battery level indicator was totally unreliable and did not refelct the time left to run. After about 3 months use it stopped charging altogether. So it's been returned and I'm waiting to hear from the site I purchased it from for a refund as I do not want a replacement.
Gear: Kurt Cobain Jaguar, Kurt Cobain Mustang, American Std Tele ('10 3burst), Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange OR15, Orange Tiny Terror HW, Vox Night Train NT15H, Marshall JCM-1H, PPC112 Cab & a Marshall Custom Pin-Up

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:09 pm

I had one for a few days. It requires 250ma. Using 5 or 6 on a pedal power 2+ or any of the high voltage outs on a pedal power 4X4 or pedal power digital works just fine.

I only liked the room verb with the mix and decay all the way up (sounds amazing like this). I liked one of the trems, but couldn't find a use for it. The trem delay on my timeline does the job just fine. I also had the tap/favorite button. The tap tempo was a little sketchy in it's operation. The button doesn't register half the time unless you really stomp it, and like others have said, it's pretty tough to get it synced up due to the initial effect drop out.

I still have the BlueSky. I'm a sucker for the shimmer effect so I couldn't live without it.

If I was going to get another trem unit, I think I would go for the empress one. It has way more features, it's a little cheaper, has a flashing tempo light , midi , a control port, and multiple waveforms/note settings.

Much better value IMO.

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:25 pm

i have an el capistan, running thru my effects loop. simply amazing in its depth and transparency. if you want wow and flutter and tape crinkle, these provide some unique effects. its always 'on' and i just forget about it and make music. my next strymon (when i can cough up another 3 bills us) will be the rotary pedal.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof