about the gretsch...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

sidvicious
Orange Master

about the gretsch...

Post by sidvicious » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:17 pm

several pics of late. i've got several of them and don't recall not having at least one around.

here's what i could never figure..........:/

how to work the damnn things!! the electronics are a complete mystery to me. for some reason i cannot get my head around what the knobs are supposed to really do, EXCEPT, i know they do something. but when the "tone [for lack of a better term]" knobs are turned, the sounds are not consistent in travel.

i love to play them distorted. they sound great through orange and marshall. not so much through fender. through the tv and rv in particular, virtually all of mine sound like a strat with all guitar knobs wide open. oh, and through an ac30 they sound like tele's.

very strange, and maybe i should drink more..

sv-
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Re: about the gretsch...

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Most of the Duo Jets are much closer to the traditional guitar layouts with tone and volume pots. If you see one with two switches one is for the pickup selector and the other is a 3 position tone switch. Those are a little harder to get used to.

I usually would leave the tone knobs on 100% since you can go from bright and present to mud in a very short distance on the pot. The volume pots can do that too if you turn it down to far and you'll end up with quiet mud.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:54 pm

The knobs look pretty.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:19 am

I think the Master Volume knobs are a great idea.

Geosh
Tiny Terror

Post by Geosh » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Mine has Master volume, bridge PU volume, & neck PU volume. It also has a "mud switch" for a basic tone control.

I love the master volume and I like being able to dial back pickups independantly to get a good balance. Rarely if ever do I touch the mud switch.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:33 pm

I have an Electromatic too. Just got it. I like the master volume idea but the knobs positioning takes a little getting used to. They seem to have put them wherever there is space.
==================================================================

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Geosh wrote:Rarely if ever do I touch the mud switch.
I usually run my rig kind of bright so I don't lose my neck pickup in the mix so I've flipped the mud switch around on my 6120. When both switches are down I get the bridge pickup with the mild tone attenuation. Great for solos. About the only thing I use the mud setting for is on the bridge with some heavier fuzz but that's pretty rare.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;