Newbie + Question

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dougyN1

Newbie + Question

Post by dougyN1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:53 am

Hello,

I am a huge Orange fan and have some gear so why not sign up!?

I currently have a PPC-212C Cab and I am looking at an Orange Amp Head as well. I enjoy playing hard rock and heavy metal so I was looking at the Rockerverb 50 and 100. I was suggested to buy the 50 because with that 2X12 cab, it will sound amazing and by turning the head up a little bit more, it would make the head sound better. Whenever I play live hopefully soon, it will be small venues so it won't be huge stadiums.

So what do everyone suggest? This has probably been asked before but wanted to ask again then. :)

Zachohh
Rocker

Re: Newbie + Question

Post by Zachohh » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:59 am

From the sound of what you're going for, I'd say go for a Rockerverb, and definitely go with the 50. I have a 100, and I love the way it sounds, but at shows I only get the thing turned up to about 3 or 4 tops. It kind of bums me out actually! haha.
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster
Seagull and Ovation Acoustic Electrics

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:12 am

Why not sign up indeed ......Welcome on board

The Rockerverb 50 is a superb Amp that is a great choice and even though you may not be playing stadiums yet, it sounds good even at medium loudness, so reasonably house friendly and its versatile with a lovely clean channel.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:22 pm

I agree with the above post. I had a RV50 and it sounds pretty good even at low volumes
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:34 pm

+1 again. 50W through a good 2x12 = plenty loud enough.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Get the 100w. I am a former metal player, now in a sort of indie rock/grunge band. I recently bought a 50w MKII and have to crank the master to 3:00 to have enough volume at band practice. We play loud, but in some of my older bands we played much louder. I would think it'd be much more comfortable to have the 100w.

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:49 pm

Spaceboy1 wrote:Get the 100w. I am a former metal player, now in a sort of indie rock/grunge band. I recently bought a 50w MKII and have to crank the master to 3:00 to have enough volume at band practice. We play loud, but in some of my older bands we played much louder. I would think it'd be much more comfortable to have the 100w.
+1

I bought the OR100 and though I can switch it down to 70, 50 and 30W, I always use the 100W setting for band practice. Think it gives me a punchier, more distinct tone compared to the other wattage settings. And the master volume never gets past 12:00. Feels good to have some more, just because... 8)
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:34 pm

Spaceboy1 wrote:Get the 100w. I am a former metal player, now in a sort of indie rock/grunge band. I recently bought a 50w MKII and have to crank the master to 3:00 to have enough volume at band practice. We play loud, but in some of my older bands we played much louder. I would think it'd be much more comfortable to have the 100w.
If u get to crank the volume to 3 O'clock that sounds like the 50 watt is just right !
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:44 pm

man I love my Rocker.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:43 pm

How much low end do you want? If you play a lot of drop tunings and such, the bigger transformers in the RV100 will give you the extra low end that you need at any volume. Otherwise, the RV50 would be a great match for the PPC212 if you play primarily standard tuning and/or spend a lot of time doing lead work and technical stuff.

dougyN1

Post by dougyN1 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:08 am

Randy Bass wrote:How much low end do you want? If you play a lot of drop tunings and such, the bigger transformers in the RV100 will give you the extra low end that you need at any volume. Otherwise, the RV50 would be a great match for the PPC212 if you play primarily standard tuning and/or spend a lot of time doing lead work and technical stuff.
I like to listen to and also try to play some harder music with drop C tuning and also B standard tuning guitars. I won't be adding anymore cabs so my PPC-212C is the only thing that will be played through. I have heard amazing things about both amps, that is why I love Orange so much!

Tizzer
Tiny Terror

Post by Tizzer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:36 pm

dougyN1 wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:How much low end do you want? If you play a lot of drop tunings and such, the bigger transformers in the RV100 will give you the extra low end that you need at any volume. Otherwise, the RV50 would be a great match for the PPC212 if you play primarily standard tuning and/or spend a lot of time doing lead work and technical stuff.
I like to listen to and also try to play some harder music with drop C tuning and also B standard tuning guitars. I won't be adding anymore cabs so my PPC-212C is the only thing that will be played through. I have heard amazing things about both amps, that is why I love Orange so much!
I haven't played a RV50, but my 100 handles drop tunings beautifully. If you won't need all the volume, it'll mostly be about how much headroom or low end you want. Try out both if you're able. I only got to test the 100w and I liked it, so that's what I got. I bet you wouldn't be disappointed with either though 8)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:10 pm

dougyN1 wrote:Whenever I play live hopefully soon, it will be small venues so it won't be huge stadiums.
Oh good, clear consensus here to choose a RV.50 or RV.100 then. :lol:

Or...
Jondog wrote:man I love my Rocker.
Yeah, that too. You could grab one s/h and a Shure mic to bung it through the PA for the odd occasions it wasn't loud enough. A 30 watter that thought it was a 50 - sorted!

(Not meaning to confuse the issue or anything...) :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:17 pm

I remember in the 90's people were turning their Marshall 100 watters for 50 watters for the exact reasons you and others have cited. Now, I've heard that the stage volume at clubs has been on a downward trend for quite awhile... people trading in their 50 watters for 30 watters. Though, if I were you I'd go with a 50 watter. Have you considered the 50 watt Thunderverb with the cool power scaling... just a thought. Of course this statement is probably heavily argued, I think the Thunderverb series (not the TH30 stuff) can cover all styles of music with class!

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:39 pm

nlimbaugh wrote:I remember in the 90's people were turning their Marshall 100 watters for 50 watters for the exact reasons you and others have cited. Now, I've heard that the stage volume at clubs has been on a downward trend for quite awhile... people trading in their 50 watters for 30 watters. Though, if I were you I'd go with a 50 watter. Have you considered the 50 watt Thunderverb with the cool power scaling... just a thought. Of course this statement is probably heavily argued, I think the Thunderverb series (not the TH30 stuff) can cover all styles of music with class!
The Thunderverb 50 actually doesn't have power scaling. However, it does have an attenuator knob that works beautifully to get good tone at lower volume.

The Thunderverb 50 would handle your drop tunings very well though, it has bass transformers in it. But it's really voiced quite different than a Rockerverb, has no dedicated clean channel and also only has 3 gain stages vs. 4 when comparing to the RV50.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror