Some new gear i got

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Re: Some new gear i got

Post by Orangesoda » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Woodsie wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:That Gretsch is awesome. I really like the look of the Jet City rig too. They look much better without the purple tolex section I've seen on some of them. One suggestion though - the cab would look even better if it had black corners to match the head. You could probably sand and paint the existing ones pretty easily.
Thanks. I really like them both. The chrome corners is being kinda nit picky, I think. lol. Of course, I was just online pricing out black ones. $0.61 ea
Does that Gretsch have stock pups? If so which ones?

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:44 pm

Orangesoda wrote:
Woodsie wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:That Gretsch is awesome. I really like the look of the Jet City rig too. They look much better without the purple tolex section I've seen on some of them. One suggestion though - the cab would look even better if it had black corners to match the head. You could probably sand and paint the existing ones pretty easily.
Thanks. I really like them both. The chrome corners is being kinda nit picky, I think. lol. Of course, I was just online pricing out black ones. $0.61 ea
Does that Gretsch have stock pups? If so which ones?
This is what they say.

"When the Gretsch R&D team recently unearthed a Baldwin-era Filter’Tron pickup with knockout punch and phenomenal twang, they incorporated its DNA into dynamic “Black Top” Filter’Tron™ pickups".

what that means, i'm not sure.
==================================================================

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:51 pm

apocalypsedude wrote:Hows the head sound compared to an Orange, and what kind of power tubes is it running? I know its designed by Soldano, I was looking at em not long ago myself. Is the effects loop any good?
It's not an Orange. It's much brighter, thinner and more "Marshall-y". I'm going to put a set of JJ's in it. I've been told it's a big improvement. It has EL84's in it. It's similar to the AD30 in the sense that it doesn't have a dedicated clean channel that stays clean for very long. It has a crunch channel and a lead channel. Plenty of gain in the lead channel. It really sounds pretty good, especially for a $400 amp. It's 20w but still very loud. The loop is also pretty good. It's tube driven loop. I have been playing with the GT-100 directly into the fx return of the amp. Bypassing everything except the presence control.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:24 pm

What's the model of the Gretsch?

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:58 pm

bclaire wrote:What's the model of the Gretsch?
G5422TDCG Electromatic

Geosh
Tiny Terror

Post by Geosh » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:56 pm

Woodsie wrote:You know what the knock is on the double stick tape, right? It loses the contact to the body of the guitar and changes the tone and resonance of the guitar. I didn't say it, I'm just telling you what I've heard.
I have had several Gretsch guitars and have pinned them, used rosen, and on the last 2 used thin Scotch double sided tape. Honestly the Scotch tape is the easiest way to go and I CANNOT tell a difference in tone or sustain.

Just used a very small piece on the Low-E side of the bridge and it works great and never moves when playing. I usually string it with 10's.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:39 am

I actually just bought a few kits to insulate the windows in my house. It comes with really thin two sided tape. I should have left overs. Looks like it should work great.