Some new gear i got

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Some new gear i got

Post by Woodsie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:35 pm

My new low watt amp rig. My Jet City JCA22H. Great sounding head. Can't beat the price. I think with some new tubes, this thing will be great. Also my, new to me, Avatar 212 cab. It came with some old Fender clones in it but I just happened to have a G12H30 and a V30 laying around. So I through those in. Nice and light and very good sound.
Decided to ditch the pedals for a Boss GT-100. Great effects and I can use some of the amp models to get tones I couldn't get with just the amp. I've decided to use my Cantrell Wah though because I like it better. I use the boards wah as just a volume or expression pedal. It's great that I can move the VP in and out of the loop, depending on what I want it to do.
Just scored this baby off Craigslist. I had my LP studio for sale and wasn't getting any hits on it. This guy emailed me and offered this for a trade. I had to throw in my old Dimebag wah and 80's Rat pedal to get it done but this thing is a beauty, sounds and plays amazing.
==================================================================

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Some new gear i got

Post by Jondog » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Congrats! Love the Gretsch!

thinspirits77
Tiny Terror

Post by thinspirits77 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Ditto on the Gretsch, it looks awesome!
http://www.reverbnation.com/evolutionprotocol
Orange TH100
Orange PPC212

Yamaha AES820s
MXR Flanger|TC Alter Ego|TC Hall of Fame|Boss Tremolo

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:37 pm

fun fact on the Gretsch. If you don't have one you wouldn't know. I know I didn't. the bridge is mounted to that piece of wood. the wood is mounted to.... Nothing! Its held down by string pressure. I didn't know this until I was adjusting the action and the whole thing moved. I thought the guy gave me a broken guitar until I did some research. I thought it was going to be an intonation nightmare but it wasn't that bad at all. I guess, from what I've read on the Gretsch forum, the guys like to run at least 11 gauge strings, just for the added down pressure and maybe some violin bow rosin for a little tack. I've even heard of some guys "pinning" the bridge in place.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Woodsie wrote:fun fact on the Gretsch. If you don't have one you wouldn't know. I know I didn't. the bridge is mounted to that piece of wood. the wood is mounted to.... Nothing! Its held down by string pressure. I didn't know this until I was adjusting the action and the whole thing moved. I thought the guy gave me a broken guitar until I did some research. I thought it was going to be an intonation nightmare but it wasn't that bad at all. I guess, from what I've read on the Gretsch forum, the guys like to run at least 11 gauge strings, just for the added down pressure and maybe some violin bow rosin for a little tack. I've even heard of some guys "pinning" the bridge in place.
That's common on arch-top guitars. My Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor was like that, so are the swingsters which are basically the same. Great guitars too by the way.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:10 pm

Jondog wrote:
Woodsie wrote:fun fact on the Gretsch. If you don't have one you wouldn't know. I know I didn't. the bridge is mounted to that piece of wood. the wood is mounted to.... Nothing! Its held down by string pressure. I didn't know this until I was adjusting the action and the whole thing moved. I thought the guy gave me a broken guitar until I did some research. I thought it was going to be an intonation nightmare but it wasn't that bad at all. I guess, from what I've read on the Gretsch forum, the guys like to run at least 11 gauge strings, just for the added down pressure and maybe some violin bow rosin for a little tack. I've even heard of some guys "pinning" the bridge in place.
That's common on arch-top guitars. My Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor was like that, so are the swingsters which are basically the same. Great guitars too by the way.
I see they also like to put the product sticker right inside the top F hole. so you can see it.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Syl Sylvain uses double stick tape to keep his bridge in place once you find the right spot for it.

Tizzer
Tiny Terror

Post by Tizzer » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:15 pm

That Gretsch looks sexy, congrats on the trade! Never played one but they seem awesome. I've heard very good things about Avatar cabs as well, especially for the price. Any idea how it compares to an orange or mesa 212?
bclaire wrote:Syl Sylvain uses double stick tape to keep his bridge in place once you find the right spot for it.
I went to art/design school, and I've used tons of double stick tape. Love the stuff. It's pretty cheap, but it can be pretty strong, so I'd make sure it's in the right spot before you use it.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Tizzer wrote:That Gretsch looks sexy, congrats on the trade! Never played one but they seem awesome. I've heard very good things about Avatar cabs as well, especially for the price. Any idea how it compares to an orange or mesa 212?
bclaire wrote:Syl Sylvain uses double stick tape to keep his bridge in place once you find the right spot for it.
I went to art/design school, and I've used tons of double stick tape. Love the stuff. It's pretty cheap, but it can be pretty strong, so I'd make sure it's in the right spot before you use it.
I really like the cab. It doesn't quite thump like the Orange and I've never tried a Mesa. It sounds really good and it's not lacking in bottom end at all. I'll tell you what it is though... 30lbs lighter than the PPC212.

You know what the knock is on the double stick tape, right? It loses the contact to the body of the guitar and changes the tone and resonance of the guitar. I didn't say it, I'm just telling you what I've heard.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:36 pm

Yeah, I used double sided scotch tape to set mine on place. The stuff that's used to put pictures in photo albums. It works well holding it in place yet it's not super strong like glue. Easily reverssable. Don't use the stuff with the foam in the middle. Just think of scotch tape that is sticky on both sides.

I'd rather have it pinned from the factory honestly.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:06 pm

I think getting it pinned is a pretty easy procedure for a good luthier. I would never do it myself.

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Got to love that head and guitar! Congrats! :D
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:52 pm

That Gretsch is awesome. I really like the look of the Jet City rig too. They look much better without the purple tolex section I've seen on some of them. One suggestion though - the cab would look even better if it had black corners to match the head. You could probably sand and paint the existing ones pretty easily.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:13 am

Randy Bass wrote:That Gretsch is awesome. I really like the look of the Jet City rig too. They look much better without the purple tolex section I've seen on some of them. One suggestion though - the cab would look even better if it had black corners to match the head. You could probably sand and paint the existing ones pretty easily.
Thanks. I really like them both. The chrome corners is being kinda nit picky, I think. lol. Of course, I was just online pricing out black ones. $0.61 ea

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Hows the head sound compared to an Orange, and what kind of power tubes is it running? I know its designed by Soldano, I was looking at em not long ago myself. Is the effects loop any good?
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992