OR15 in black tolex......Anybody sell these?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

JimmyOhio75
Rocker

OR15 in black tolex......Anybody sell these?

Post by JimmyOhio75 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:35 pm

I would give my left arm (and leg) for an OR15 in black. Did Orange make any of these? Where can I get one?
http://www.reverbnation.com/hawkinshill
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe 2012
Gibson Les Paul Junior Special 2009
Orange Dual Terror
Burnham 2x12 (WGS Reaper/Retro)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: OR15 in black tolex......Anybody sell these?

Post by bclaire » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:58 pm

I'd swear I've seen one in pictures... but now I'm questioning my memory. :mrgreen:

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Yes it's called the Jim Root terror :D
Paul.

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:45 pm

For about $12 bucks of black tolex and a bottle of contact cement, you could do it yourself super easy. I recently got bored and re-tolexed two amps. It was surprisingly easy, and the amps had tolex'ed fronts and back panels also, where an Orange is just the simple outside shell. You can even get the matching basket weave cloth that orange uses. It took me about 1-2 hours per amp.

Give it a try and have the first! Heck, you could even do it in white to match your Rocker.
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 pm

http://www.northeastguitar.co.uk/orange ... black.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A simple google search for OR15 black turned up a few seller... all in the UK, nothing in the USA.
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:06 pm

0000 wrote:For about $12 bucks of black tolex and a bottle of contact cement, you could do it yourself super easy. I recently got bored and re-tolexed two amps. It was surprisingly easy, and the amps had tolex'ed fronts and back panels also, where an Orange is just the simple outside shell. You can even get the matching basket weave cloth that orange uses. It took me about 1-2 hours per amp.

Give it a try and have the first! Heck, you could even do it in white to match your Rocker.
How do you cut the tolex straight and at the correct length for the seam on the bottom of the box?
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:13 pm

ironlung40 wrote: How do you cut the tolex straight and at the correct length for the seam on the bottom of the box?

No need. Just get an Orange coloured flightcase and spray 'BLACK' on the top... :P

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:15 pm

JimmyOhio75 wrote:I would give my left arm (and leg) for an OR15 in black. Did Orange make any of these? Where can I get one?
Come to Sweden! I bought mine here. It's a fine country. The girls/women look better than Katy Perry... :mrgreen:
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

tarfungo
Tiny Terror

Post by tarfungo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:46 pm

ironlung40 wrote:
0000 wrote:
How do you cut the tolex straight and at the correct length for the seam on the bottom of the box?
In my experience, a lot of amp / cabinet manufacturers use hot animal glue to tolex cabinets. This glue has a fairly long 'tack' time which allows for the manipulation of the tolex for maybe 10-20 minutes before being 'stuck'. After that, a very sharp knife (box cutter or single edged razor) and experience is required / necessary.

For 'home' do-it-your-selfers, I've used 3M 77. It's a workable contact adhesive.

Cut your tolex about 6" wider than the depth of your cab, and long enough to completely encircle the cabinet in one piece with 6 inches or so over of lapping material.

Evenly spray the adhesive on the back side of your cut tolex and let it set up for a minute or two. It will be slightly tacky then. With the help of an assistant, have them hold one end of the tolex tight while you start the wrapping process on one side of the bottom of the cab. Roll the cab onto the tolex (or vice versa) as required to wrap the entire perimeter cab being careful to not trap any air bubbles under the tolex as you go. Make sure the ends over lap a bit.

Then as quickly as possible move around the sides tucking the front and back edge material around the edges. When you get to a corner, cut as much as needed just to get the corner started to lay flat, move to the next corner.

Then using a straightedge and a VERY sharp knife, place the straight edge over the overlapping ends of the tolex. Use a t-square to ensure your straightedge placement is 90 degrees to the edge of the cab, then cut BOTH layers of the tolex at the same time using a very firm and deliberate SINGLE cut through BOTH layers of tolex and then around the edges. Once the cut has been made, gently peel up the seam and remove the underlying piece of unwanted tolex. Then re-seat the two pieces. The 'butt' will be virtually invisible if this is done correctly.

Then simply return to the corners and clean up as necessary. Since most amps have corner protectors, having a 'perfect' corner isn't always necessary.

Clean up of errant adhesive can be made using a very light spray of WD-40 on a rag. Be careful to NOT get WD-40 into any of the seams as this will release the adhesive.
Orange AD30HTC
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Orange OR50H
Orange PPC212 x 2

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:18 pm

I use the 3M spray as well. Works great, haven't had any issues. I actually spray it on the cabinet evenly and wait for it to tack up. Just find it easier that way. I've also heard the the adhesive used for gluing down laminate counter tops is virtually the same as "tolex" glue that sells for 4 times the price.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:25 pm

tarfungo wrote:
ironlung40 wrote:
0000 wrote:
In my experience, a lot of amp / cabinet manufacturers use hot animal glue to tolex cabinets. This glue has a fairly long 'tack' time which allows for the manipulation of the tolex for maybe 10-20 minutes before being 'stuck'. After that, a very sharp knife (box cutter or single edged razor) and experience is required / necessary.

For 'home' do-it-your-selfers, I've used 3M 77. It's a workable contact adhesive.

Cut your tolex about 6" wider than the depth of your cab, and long enough to completely encircle the cabinet in one piece with 6 inches or so over of lapping material.

Evenly spray the adhesive on the back side of your cut tolex and let it set up for a minute or two. It will be slightly tacky then. With the help of an assistant, have them hold one end of the tolex tight while you start the wrapping process on one side of the bottom of the cab. Roll the cab onto the tolex (or vice versa) as required to wrap the entire perimeter cab being careful to not trap any air bubbles under the tolex as you go. Make sure the ends over lap a bit.

Then as quickly as possible move around the sides tucking the front and back edge material around the edges. When you get to a corner, cut as much as needed just to get the corner started to lay flat, move to the next corner.

Then using a straightedge and a VERY sharp knife, place the straight edge over the overlapping ends of the tolex. Use a t-square to ensure your straightedge placement is 90 degrees to the edge of the cab, then cut BOTH layers of the tolex at the same time using a very firm and deliberate SINGLE cut through BOTH layers of tolex and then around the edges. Once the cut has been made, gently peel up the seam and remove the underlying piece of unwanted tolex. Then re-seat the two pieces. The 'butt' will be virtually invisible if this is done correctly.

Then simply return to the corners and clean up as necessary. Since most amps have corner protectors, having a 'perfect' corner isn't always necessary.

Clean up of errant adhesive can be made using a very light spray of WD-40 on a rag. Be careful to NOT get WD-40 into any of the seams as this will release the adhesive.
Great info...thanks for being so detailed. I think I can do that.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:38 pm

JimmyOhio75 wrote:I would give my left arm (and leg) for an OR15 in black. Did Orange make any of these? Where can I get one?
how would you play it without an arm
fresh outta oranges

tinman1

Post by tinman1 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:03 pm

I've got an orange OR15H and a black PPC112 cab. I thought I'd prefer a black head (they weren't available when I got the amp last year) but looking at some of the photo's I think, surprisingly, that I prefer the orange version. Both cool, but theres something a bit more vintage/ 70's about the head in orange.